And we're back!

Main Menu

Granny Tazed

Started by HVC, June 10, 2009, 11:05:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

Quote from: DontSayBanana on June 10, 2009, 05:39:09 PM
Quote from: Martinus on June 10, 2009, 05:34:11 PM
She was not dangerous, nor there was a suspicion she was guilty of any crime, other than disobeying what the policeman told her. I suppose her identity could have been easily identified from any ID, or barring that, her car's license plates. We hire humans (who, supposedly have brains), rather than dogs or mindless robots as cops, so they should be able to assess that.

In this case, she should have been charged with whatever the felony/misdemeanor that is, but there was no need to stop her physically - even if she went home freely, they would have easily found her.

Psst, Marti... in the US, disobeying an officer is an arrestable offense.

Not sure how this is relevant. I find the police response fucked up. Only because it was sanctioned by your laws, it does not make it right.  :huh:

grumbler

Quote from: Martinus on June 10, 2009, 05:40:52 PM
What crime was she caught committing?
Reckless driving (15+ mph over the speed limit).
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Martinus

Quote from: grumbler on June 10, 2009, 05:45:29 PM
Reckless driving (15+ mph over the speed limit).
That sounds more like a misdemeanor/driving regulation violation than a crime, but it could be a translation/language issue.

DGuller

That's a Virginia thing.  Reckless driving is indeed a crime, and Virginia has a notoriously low threshold and notoriously high fines for it.  I don't think in any other state 15+ is reckless driving.

DontSayBanana

The cop was issuing her a citation for driving 60 in a 45 mph zone, which is speeding as well as careless or reckless driving in some jurisdictions. Since she refused to cooperate, her disobeying the officer resulted in an arrestable misdemeanor and her attempts to get out of that were resisting arrest, which is a felony.

Basically, it didn't start as a big deal, but she dug herself into a legal hole.
Experience bij!

grumbler

Quote from: Martinus on June 10, 2009, 05:45:17 PM
Not sure how this is relevant. I find the police response fucked up. Only because it was sanctioned by your laws, it does not make it right.  :huh:
In what way did the police response fuck up, to the extent that her disobediance of police instrctions is "irrelevant?"

Dunno about Poland, but in the US, if a person refuses to follow the law, they can be arrested.  If they resist arrest, then the minimum force necessary to subdue them is authorized.  Tazing was clearly a better alternative to a physical altercation, which would have been the only other way to get her cuffed (both because the physical alteration was far likelier to injure the perp, and because the perp would also then have a chance to injure the officer and, at the least, get assault added to the resisting arrest charges).

By US standards, the cop did things right, from what I can see. Poland may have different standards, but this cop wasn't in Poland.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

DontSayBanana

Quote from: DGuller on June 10, 2009, 05:49:18 PM
That's a Virginia thing.  Reckless driving is indeed a crime, and Virginia has a notoriously low threshold and notoriously high fines for it.  I don't think in any other state 15+ is reckless driving.

I thought we had 15+ reckless driving in NJ until recently. :unsure:
Experience bij!

grumbler

Quote from: Martinus on June 10, 2009, 05:47:18 PM
That sounds more like a misdemeanor/driving regulation violation than a crime, but it could be a translation/language issue.
Agree, could be language differences, but the definition is irrelevant.  The officer had all the authority needed to pull her over.  He she obeyed the law that required her to acknowledge the ticket, she would have driven on without further incident.  She chose to escalate this stop into an arresting offense, not the cop.

Bayraktar!

Jaron

Martinus says:
could you please stop responding to my posts on Languish? I'm rather tired of your trolling, thanks
Stephen says:
I'm afraid I cannot accomodate your request. 
If you're going to post foolish things, I'm going to call you on it.
Martinus says:
then I am not going to talk to you anymore
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Martinus

Quote from: grumbler on June 10, 2009, 05:51:45 PM
Quote from: Martinus on June 10, 2009, 05:45:17 PM
In what way did the police response fuck up, to the extent that her disobediance of police instrctions is "irrelevant?"

Dunno about Poland, but in the US, if a person refuses to follow the law, they can be arrested.  If they resist arrest, then the minimum force necessary to subdue them is authorized.  Tazing was clearly a better alternative to a physical altercation, which would have been the only other way to get her cuffed (both because the physical alteration was far likelier to injure the perp, and because the perp would also then have a chance to injure the officer and, at the least, get assault added to the resisting arrest charges).

By US standards, the cop did things right, from what I can see. Poland may have different standards, but this cop wasn't in Poland.

And I can express my opinion that I think it's fucked up, just as I can express my opinion that running over student protesters with tanks is fucked up, even though probably in line with Chinese law.

DGuller

Quote from: DontSayBanana on June 10, 2009, 05:54:48 PM
I thought we had 15+ reckless driving in NJ until recently. :unsure:
I recall reading that it's 20+, and only if you've been involved in an accident.  However, I can't find anything on the Internet to confirm this.  If 15+ is an automatic reckless driving in NJ, then there isn't an innocent person driving on the Garden State Parkway.

grumbler

Quote from: Martinus on June 10, 2009, 05:58:52 PM
And I can express my opinion that I think it's fucked up, just as I can express my opinion that running over student protesters with tanks is fucked up, even though probably in line with Chinese law.
Well, you can, indeed, make absurd judgements based on facts which you make up yourself, but that doesn't mean you won't get called on them, even if simple logic and informed opinion are apparently not much valued in Poland.

This is the kind of line of argumentation, btw, which makes pretty much everyone doubt you really are a lawyer who hangs with the "movers and shakers" of the world.  :lol:

Bayraktar!

Jaron

It is rather frightening that some people, somewhere in Europe actually pay for his services. :P
Winner of THE grumbler point.

grumbler

Quote from: DGuller on June 10, 2009, 06:06:55 PM
I recall reading that it's 20+, and only if you've been involved in an accident.  However, I can't find anything on the Internet to confirm this.  If 15+ is an automatic reckless driving in NJ, that there isn't an innocent person driving on the Garden State Parkway.
And pretty much everyone in Virginia!  :lol:

But whether or not the woman was accused of reckless driving, and whether or not she was guilty of a "crime" or a mere "violation of the traffic laws," the cop had the right to stop her, and certainly the grounds to suspect he should not let her get back on the road right away.  The attitude that she was displaying would certainly look to a lot of copa like drunken belligerence.

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: Jaron on June 10, 2009, 06:10:49 PM
It is rather frightening that some people, somewhere in Europe actually pay for his services. :P
Not if they are services as, say, a plumber or a chef.  Marti could be excellent at any number of things that don't require logical thought and reasoning.

Bayraktar!