Austrian tourist brochure advises Arabs not to haggle or eat on the floor

Started by Syt, June 23, 2014, 04:31:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Are there brochures asking Americans to lose some weight before our trip and to practice speaking softly?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Caliga

Quote from: Valmy on June 23, 2014, 09:36:44 AM
Are there brochures asking Americans to lose some weight before our trip and to practice speaking softly?
BASED ON MY EXPERIENCES IN EUROPE, THERE SHOULD BE. :)
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Syt

I would be happy if the locals stopped talking on their cell phones all the time while on the subway.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Legbiter on June 23, 2014, 09:08:14 AM
Nor should red wine be ordered with fish – for seafood, it has to be white wine every time.

Wrong.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

derspiess

Quote from: Valmy on June 23, 2014, 09:35:56 AM
Wait your buddy's Brit-Indian wife's uncle?  What are his crazy conspiracy theories?  Is the Vatican or the Freemasons involved?  Jews?

It's been 3-4 years now since he's visited, so I can't remember many specifics.  But anytime a conversation touches on politics or current events, he can't speak a sentence without the word "Halliburton".  He accused Tony Blair, George W. Bush, Dick Cheney, and Barack Obama of all sorts of wacky stuff. 

He's a lapsed Muslim and gives his nephews shit about their strict observance of Muslim dietary laws (the girls in the family seem to do whatever they want).  One time we went out to a steakhouse he was making a big deal in front of my buddy's brothers in law about the fact that he was eating a non-halal steak & how delicious it was.  But to put him to the true test I asked him if he'd like to try one of the pork chops I ordered, and he recoiled in horror at the thought of eating pork.

Still an entertaining guy despite his quirks.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Malthus

Quote from: derspiess on June 23, 2014, 10:12:12 AM
One time we went out to a steakhouse he was making a big deal in front of my buddy's brothers in law about the fact that he was eating a non-halal steak & how delicious it was.  But to put him to the true test I asked him if he'd like to try one of the pork chops I ordered, and he recoiled in horror at the thought of eating pork.

Probably more a cultural thing, that a religious one. In many cultures, pigs are seen as basically unclean, quite aside from the religious prohibilition - much like how we would react to being asked to eat rat meat.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

viper37

Quote from: Legbiter on June 23, 2014, 09:08:14 AM
In Italy the problem is Russian tourists.  :lol:

QuoteAs the summer tourist season approaches, Italians have a message for their rich Russian visitors – you may be minted, but you have no manners.

Big-spending Russians have proved a lifeline for the Italian tourist sector during the last few years of economic recession but they are often perceived as brash, boorish and rude.

Now a hotel owner in Tuscany – the Russians' favourite destination – has produced a television commercial which aims to educate wealthy Muscovites and other Russian visitors about the finer points of Italian etiquette.

They are told that ordering a cappuccino after lunch is an unforgivable faux pas – in Italy the frothy coffee is seen as an exclusively morning drink. Italians instead would order an espresso or a caffe macchiato – an espresso with a dash of milk. Nor should red wine be ordered with fish – for seafood, it has to be white wine every time. Cashed-up Russians are also warned that it is vulgar to choose the most expensive wine on the list.

Even showy Italians baulk at Russian women wearing barely-there, sequinned bikinis and swim costumes.
"Russian women who love to wear high heels and tiny bikinis should perhaps avoid those," she says.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/italy/10889446/Italian-hotel-owner-issues-etiquette-guide-for-uncouth-Russian-tourists.html

Italian wine is so mild, I don't see a problem with ordering red wine for fish.  If it was Australian wine, I'd understand.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

derspiess

Quote from: Malthus on June 23, 2014, 10:21:54 AM
Probably more a cultural thing, that a religious one. In many cultures, pigs are seen as basically unclean, quite aside from the religious prohibilition - much like how we would react to being asked to eat rat meat.

He's lived his entire life in the UK, though.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Malthus

Quote from: derspiess on June 23, 2014, 10:32:24 AM
Quote from: Malthus on June 23, 2014, 10:21:54 AM

He's lived his entire life in the UK, though.

Still, one's culture depends a lot on the immediate people you hang with - like your immediate family.

I would not start eating dog just because I moved to Korea.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

derspiess

Quote from: Malthus on June 23, 2014, 10:40:56 AM
Still, one's culture depends a lot on the immediate people you hang with - like your immediate family.

Yep.  Still no excuse for denying yourself the deliciousness of pork IMO.

QuoteI would not start eating dog just because I moved to Korea.

That's not quite as ubiquitous as pork consumption in the UK.

derspiess

Anyway, I get the vibe from this dude that he has a bit of residual Islamishness in him that he's not owning up to.

Valmy

I would.  When in Rome.

Non-Muslims in India eat Pork just fine.  Just like Christians in the Middle East do.  I question the cultural part.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Malthus

Quote from: Valmy on June 23, 2014, 10:49:57 AM

I would.  When in Rome.

Non-Muslims in India eat Pork just fine.  Just like Christians in the Middle East do.  I question the cultural part.

Depends on what you are used to. Food preferences are funny that way. Americans generally will not eat horse, for example, even though horse is tasty.

The association of pigs with filth is pretty strong, and it is backed up by the fact that pig meat has to be well-cooked because pigs carry diseases people get.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Valmy on June 23, 2014, 10:49:57 AM
Non-Muslims in India eat Pork just fine.

You sure?  I've never seen a pork dish on the menu at an Indian restaurant.