Austrian tourist brochure advises Arabs not to haggle or eat on the floor

Started by Syt, June 23, 2014, 04:31:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malthus

Quote from: alfred russel on June 23, 2014, 11:28:03 AM
Quote from: Malthus on June 23, 2014, 10:54:53 AM
The association of pigs with filth is pretty strong, and it is backed up by the fact that pig meat has to be well-cooked because pigs carry diseases people get.

I've eaten pork cooked less than well done (including in restaurants).

It isn't recommended. However, in the US, chances of getting a disease from undercooked pork are slight, because of extensive anti-infection measures. In the third world, though ...

http://www.medic8.com/healthguide/food-poisoning/pork-food-poisoning.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trichinosis
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

derspiess

Pork tastes better well-done or medium-well anyway-- particularly a bit crispy on the edges.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Malthus on June 23, 2014, 11:21:47 AM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on June 23, 2014, 11:17:24 AM
Quote from: Malthus on June 23, 2014, 11:13:44 AM
Well, it isn't because Americans are very religious. I mean, on average they are,

Wrong.

http://blow.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/09/29/why-is-america-so-religious/?_php=true&_type=blogs&_r=0

From your own link:
QuoteDespite its wealth, the United States is in the middle of the global pack when it comes to the importance of religion.

Also, possibly unlike your typical NYT reporter, I actually know religious people. Most don't treat it with that much importance, even if they claim otherwise when answering a poll.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Valmy

Quote from: Malthus on June 23, 2014, 11:19:00 AM
Me? I love me some bacon. Cooked nice and crispy.  :mmm:

Are you aware you are bringing sudden terror, wasting diseases and fever that will destroy your sight and sap your strength upon yourself?  Granted I guess you do the same thing every time you do not put to death a guy who you are reasonably sure recently laid with another guy as if he was a woman.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Grey Fox

I eat pork Rosé...Pink. Well done is for barbarian and babyboomers.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Malthus

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on June 23, 2014, 11:40:06 AM
Quote from: Malthus on June 23, 2014, 11:21:47 AM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on June 23, 2014, 11:17:24 AM
Quote from: Malthus on June 23, 2014, 11:13:44 AM
Well, it isn't because Americans are very religious. I mean, on average they are,

Wrong.

http://blow.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/09/29/why-is-america-so-religious/?_php=true&_type=blogs&_r=0

From your own link:
QuoteDespite its wealth, the United States is in the middle of the global pack when it comes to the importance of religion.

Also, possibly unlike your typical NYT reporter, I actually know religious people. Most don't treat it with that much importance, even if they claim otherwise when answering a poll.

"... in the middle of the global pack ...".  :lol: Note the emphasis. When you compare the US to places like Lebanon or India, it is "average" in religiousity. Not when you compare the US with places like Germany or Australia.

From the quote you quoted:

Quote"... Indeed, on this question, the U.S. is closer to considerably less developed nations such as India, Brazil and Lebanon than to other western nations."

The US is, famously, much more religious as a population in average than the First-world "pack". Note that over 80% in the US allegedly rate being religious as "important".
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Eddie Teach

So "very religious" doesn't mean "more religious than most". It means "more religious than me". This is what I thought.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Malthus

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on June 23, 2014, 01:05:22 PM
So "very religious" doesn't mean "more religious than most". It means "more religious than me". This is what I thought.

"More religious than any others in the First world".  :hmm:

Valmy

The thing you have to understand is that football is considered a religion here.  So when people ask us if religion is important the answer is pretty obvious.  At the end of the day it is the only way we can get people to continue to support public education.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Malthus

Quote from: Valmy on June 23, 2014, 01:18:05 PM
The thing you have to understand is that football is considered a religion here.  So when people ask us if religion is important the answer is pretty obvious.  At the end of the day it is the only way we can get people to continue to support public education.

I guess that also explains the pigs not being filthy thing - after all, weren't footballs traditionally made of pig-skin?  :hmm:

Valmy

Quote from: Malthus on June 23, 2014, 01:20:02 PM
Quote from: Valmy on June 23, 2014, 01:18:05 PM

I guess that also explains the pigs not being filthy thing - after all, weren't footballs traditionally made of pig-skin?  :hmm:

It is a religious commandment to eat sausages at our religious festivals.

The Brain

Why would you compare America to countries in the First World? :lol:
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Ed Anger

Quote from: alfred russel on June 23, 2014, 11:34:48 AM
I refuse to believe that someone can "not like" pork. Tamas likes pork, he just hasn't had the right pork yet.

Don't be that guy. We don't need another food asshole on this planet.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Crazy_Ivan80

Malthus

Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on June 23, 2014, 03:08:09 PM
Quote from: Malthus on June 23, 2014, 11:36:19 AM
In the third world, though ...

that goes for about everything doesn't it :-/

The issue though is "why scarfing down raw pork is associated with bad stuff". The reason: until recently, it was strongly associated with dying of diseases, even in the first world, and it still is in the third world. It still isn't a great idea though even in the first world, as the medical website points out:

QuoteIgnore recipes which call for pork to be lightly cooked or undercooked.