Austrian tourist brochure advises Arabs not to haggle or eat on the floor

Started by Syt, June 23, 2014, 04:31:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: Malthus on June 23, 2014, 10:54:53 AM
Americans generally will not eat horse, for example, even though horse is tasty.

Yeah but we eat only four land-dwelling animals: Chickens, Cattle, Turkeys, and pigs.  And nothing else.  No idea why.  We shoot all these deer but that rarely shows up anywhere.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 23, 2014, 10:55:08 AM
Quote from: Valmy on June 23, 2014, 10:49:57 AM
Non-Muslims in India eat Pork just fine.

You sure?  I've never seen a pork dish on the menu at an Indian restaurant.

That a fact?  Strange I love Pork Vindaloo.  But it seems in the Hindu mainstream pork is something only for the lower castes and untouchables.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Malthus

Quote from: Valmy on June 23, 2014, 11:08:07 AM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 23, 2014, 10:55:08 AM
Quote from: Valmy on June 23, 2014, 10:49:57 AM
Non-Muslims in India eat Pork just fine.

You sure?  I've never seen a pork dish on the menu at an Indian restaurant.

That a fact?  Strange I love Pork Vindaloo.  But it seems in the Hindu mainstream pork is something only for the lower castes and untouchables.

Pork-eating is common in Goan cooking, because of all those pork-eating portuguese.

Otherwise, pig meat is fit for lower-caste people or religious minorities, because it is culturally sorta filthy.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Malthus

Quote from: Valmy on June 23, 2014, 11:03:45 AM
Americans generally will not eat horse, for example, even though horse is tasty.

Yeah but we eat only four land-dwelling animals: Chickens, Cattle, Turkeys, and pigs.  And nothing else.  No idea why.  We shoot all these deer but that rarely shows up anywhere.

Well, it isn't because Americans are very religious. I mean, on average they are, but that isn't why they don't eat horse.  :lol:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

derspiess

The association of pigs with filth is pretty strong, and it is backed up by the fact that pig meat has to be well-cooked because pigs carry diseases people get.

:rolleyes:  Keep it in the temple, dude.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Malthus

Quote from: derspiess on June 23, 2014, 11:16:43 AM
The association of pigs with filth is pretty strong, and it is backed up by the fact that pig meat has to be well-cooked because pigs carry diseases people get.

Me? I love me some bacon. Cooked nice and crispy.  :mmm:

Malthus

Tamas

Hungarians eat pork like there is no tomorrow, but I never cared for it. So it can be personal as well, not just cultural. :P

derspiess

Quote from: Malthus on June 23, 2014, 11:19:00 AM
Quote from: derspiess on June 23, 2014, 11:16:43 AM

Me? I love me some bacon. Cooked nice and crispy.  :mmm:

I was kidding.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Barrister

Quote from: Tamas on June 23, 2014, 11:26:47 AM
Hungarians eat pork like there is no tomorrow, but I never cared for it. So it can be personal as well, not just cultural. :P

Whatever you say Mohammed.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

alfred russel

I've eaten pork cooked less than well done (including in restaurants).
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Valmy

You hate bacon?  I am not sure what to think of you anymore.

alfred russel

I refuse to believe that someone can "not like" pork. Tamas likes pork, he just hasn't had the right pork yet.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

derspiess

Back in the 80s my dad used to buy canned "Celebrity" brand bacon at K-Mart for when we went camping.  Tasted okay but was salty as hell and was made in: Hungary.

As a precocious youth during that time, I worried that our money was going to an oppressive communist regime.