Austrian tourist brochure advises Arabs not to haggle or eat on the floor

Started by Syt, June 23, 2014, 04:31:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 23, 2014, 07:03:22 AM
They're all reasonable except the burqa one.

Icelanders inspecting your junk doesn't sound very reasonable either.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Legbiter

In Italy the problem is Russian tourists.  :lol:

QuoteAs the summer tourist season approaches, Italians have a message for their rich Russian visitors – you may be minted, but you have no manners.

Big-spending Russians have proved a lifeline for the Italian tourist sector during the last few years of economic recession but they are often perceived as brash, boorish and rude.

Now a hotel owner in Tuscany – the Russians' favourite destination – has produced a television commercial which aims to educate wealthy Muscovites and other Russian visitors about the finer points of Italian etiquette.

They are told that ordering a cappuccino after lunch is an unforgivable faux pas – in Italy the frothy coffee is seen as an exclusively morning drink. Italians instead would order an espresso or a caffe macchiato – an espresso with a dash of milk. Nor should red wine be ordered with fish – for seafood, it has to be white wine every time. Cashed-up Russians are also warned that it is vulgar to choose the most expensive wine on the list.

Even showy Italians baulk at Russian women wearing barely-there, sequinned bikinis and swim costumes.
"Russian women who love to wear high heels and tiny bikinis should perhaps avoid those," she says.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/italy/10889446/Italian-hotel-owner-issues-etiquette-guide-for-uncouth-Russian-tourists.html
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Tamas

Why the fuck do they froth over when their horribly overpriced cappuccino is ordered, as long as it is bought?

Grey Fox

Quote from: Tamas on June 23, 2014, 09:19:06 AM
Why the fuck do they froth over when their horribly overpriced cappuccino is ordered, as long as it is bought?

Not all places are populated by moral-less, hearthless capitalist as yourself, Tamas.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Solmyr

So what do they do with the most expensive wine on the list? Pour it down the drain?

Tamas

Quote from: Grey Fox on June 23, 2014, 09:22:35 AM

Not all places are populated by moral-less, hearthless capitalist as yourself, Tamas.

I know you are French, so this must be news, but there is this expression: "the customer is always right" :P

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Solmyr on June 23, 2014, 09:25:11 AM
So what do they do with the most expensive wine on the list? Pour it down the drain?

Serve it to vulgar customers, naturally.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Syt

I guess the objection is over ordering the most expensive one on principle and not based on taste, whether it goes with the food and occasion etc.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Legbiter

Because it offends against truth and beauty, same way as shitting wherever you stand at that time does.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Admiral Yi

Use it to generate sales of the 2nd most expensive wine.  :D

derspiess

My buddy's Brit Indian wife's uncle has been in the US a few times and insists on haggling wherever the fuck he is.  I've been around with him a few times and it's flat-out embarrassing.  We tried to tell him to stop a couple times and finally just left the store in embarrassment every time he decided to buy something or talk to the salesperson.

Apart from that and his crazy conspiracy theories, he's a decent enough guy though.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

You can never quite tell what position Legbiter will take but he always takes it using the strongest language possible.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on June 23, 2014, 09:34:25 AM
My buddy's Brit Indian wife's uncle has been in the US a few times and insists on haggling wherever the fuck he is.  I've been around with him a few times and it's flat-out embarrassing.  We tried to tell him to stop a couple times and finally just left the store in embarrassment every time he decided to buy something or talk to the salesperson.

Apart from that and his crazy conspiracy theories, he's a decent enough guy though.

Wait your buddy's Brit-Indian wife's uncle?  What are his crazy conspiracy theories?  Is the Vatican or the Freemasons involved?  Jews?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."