News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

CdM is in love!

Started by The Brain, June 22, 2014, 07:41:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

Quote from: viper37 on June 23, 2014, 09:56:32 AM
No question that it is extremely stupid to stop in the left lane, and no question but what the woman is negligent to a degree, but the negligence of the motorcycle rider, particularly with his daughter on board, seems to me to be the greater.
And I disagree.  He was driving as anyone would drive under those conditions.

And I disagree with this.  He was a dead man riding if there was ANYTHING in the road, because he was travelling too fast to stop in the space he could see.  That may be the way anyone in Quebec may drive, but it isn't the way any sane person would drive.  Hell, he was still going well above the speed limit on impact (i.e. after braking)!
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Iormlund

Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 23, 2014, 11:58:07 AM
Quote from: Barrister on June 23, 2014, 10:59:33 AM
If someone is impaired by their prescribed drugs, then they ought not to be driving. :mellow:

That's a very inconsiderate and intolerant perspective. :mellow:

So is banning blind people from driving. :huh:

The Brain

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on June 23, 2014, 08:55:27 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on June 22, 2014, 10:40:24 AM
Last month I had to hit the breaks in my neighborhood to avoid hitting a kid.  Goofy kid runs out in front of the car and I slam on the breaks.  Nearly gave me a heart attack.

The sad thing is, Raz, if you get into an accident through no fault of your own that results in serious injury or death, there's a good chance you are going to end up charged with DUI manslaughter due to the psychiatric meds you take.  Or charged with DUI if you end up in a single car accident and make the mistake of honestly answering police questions about what medication you take.  I've worked on several cases where people were charged solely on the basis of their prescribed medications, taken at prescribed dosages.

What does prescribed matter if it impairs your driving?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

derspiess

Whether or not the motorcycle dude should have been going that fast, coming to a dead stop in a blind curve is just stupid. 

Anyway, had an oddly similar experience (though no fatalities) Saturday night driving home from a late dinner.  On a windy road some girl stopped her car to help a couple fawns off the road.  Stopped traffic both ways, and annoyed me a bit-- she could have just honked the horn to scare them off.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Iormlund on June 23, 2014, 12:12:48 PM
If someone is impaired by their prescribed drugs, then they ought not to be driving. :mellow:

So is banning blind people from driving. :huh:

You engineers and your self-driving cars.  :wacko:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

derspiess

Quote from: The Brain on June 23, 2014, 12:16:05 PM

When it doesn't, maybe?  My emergency painkillers tell me not to drive after taking them and I don't.  But they don't impair my judgment one bit.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

The Brain

Quote from: derspiess on June 23, 2014, 12:16:47 PM
Whether or not the motorcycle dude should have been going that fast, coming to a dead stop in a blind curve is just stupid. 

:mad:

Barrister

That's me. :)
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

The Brain

Quote from: derspiess on June 23, 2014, 12:18:05 PM

When it doesn't, maybe?  My emergency painkillers tell me not to drive after taking them and I don't.  But they don't impair my judgment one bit.

Elaborate.

derspiess

Quote from: The Brain on June 23, 2014, 12:19:51 PM

Elaborate.

I don't notice any judgment impairment after taking them.

The Brain

Quote from: derspiess on June 23, 2014, 12:21:09 PM
Quote from: The Brain on June 23, 2014, 12:19:51 PM

Elaborate.

I don't notice any judgment impairment after taking them.

Is there a point in there trying to get out or should I give up hope?

Iormlund

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on June 23, 2014, 12:17:11 PM
You engineers and your self-driving cars.  :wacko:

:lol:
We just design stuff like that because it's great fun (if an engineer tells you he does it for the money he's lying to you - there are plenty of awfully boring yet profitable careers for someone with an engineering degree).

But it'll be insurance execs that'll bar real folk from driving in the not so distant future.

crazy canuck

Quote from: grumbler on June 23, 2014, 11:59:12 AM
Quote from: viper37 on June 23, 2014, 09:56:32 AM
No question that it is extremely stupid to stop in the left lane, and no question but what the woman is negligent to a degree, but the negligence of the motorcycle rider, particularly with his daughter on board, seems to me to be the greater.
And I disagree.  He was driving as anyone would drive under those conditions.

And I disagree with this.  He was a dead man riding if there was ANYTHING in the road, because he was travelling too fast to stop in the space he could see.  That may be the way anyone in Quebec may drive, but it isn't the way any sane person would drive.  Hell, he was still going well above the speed limit on impact (i.e. after braking)!

If the driver of the motorcycle couldnt see the parked vehicle because another vehicle blocked his view and after that other vehicle swerved to miss the parked vehicle the motocyclist wasnt able to react in time then I am not sure how the motorcycle driver could be said to have the greater blame.   Based on the information in this thread there isnt enough information to make judgments about blame.  Certainly the Court had more information than we do.

Iormlund

Yeah. Unless Canada operates its highways in a very inefficient fashion, you are supposed to keep enough distance with the vehicle in front of you, not an hypothetical vehicle stopped where it shouldn't and which you cannot see.

derspiess

Quote from: The Brain on June 23, 2014, 12:22:43 PM
Is there a point in there trying to get out or should I give up hope?

Dunno, man.