News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

CdM is in love!

Started by The Brain, June 22, 2014, 07:41:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

OK I normally don't do this, but I'm gonna do a Sweetass and start a thread inspired by Paradox OT.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/northamerica/canada/10916470/Canadian-woman-who-stopped-car-to-help-ducks-faces-life-in-jail-after-causing-fatal-crash.html

QuoteCanadian woman who stopped car to help ducks faces life in jail after causing fatal crash

Emma Czornobaj sentenced over deaths of Andre Roy and 16-year-old daughter Jessie for parking car on busy road after seeing ducklings without their mother

By AP

10:47AM BST 21 Jun 2014

A Canadian woman who parked her car on a highway to help a group of ducklings on the side of the road has been found guilty of causing the deaths of a motorcyclist and his passenger daughter who slammed into her car.

Emma Czornobaj was convicted by a jury on Friday on two counts of criminal negligence causing death, a charge that carries a maximum life sentence, and two counts of dangerous driving causing death, which comes with a maximum of 14 years in jail.

The 25 year-old was charged in the deaths of Andre Roy, 50, and his daughter Jessie, 16.

She wiped away tears when the verdict was delivered to a packed courtroom in Montreal. Quebec Superior Court Justice Eliane Perreault said the 12-member jury voted unanimously.

Czornobaj was released until her pre-sentence hearing on August 8.

Related Articles
White House orders creation of 'Pollinator Health Task Force' to protect bees
21 Jun 2014
Watch: giraffe born at San Diego zoo
20 Jun 2014
'Once in a lifetime' rare white whale spotted off Sydney
20 Jun 2014
Scientists discover fish-eating spiders
19 Jun 2014

Roy's motorcycle slammed into Czornobaj's car, which was stopped in the left lane of a provincial highway south of Montreal in 2010.

Czornobaj, a self-professed animal lover, told the court that she did not see the ducklings' mother anywhere and planned to capture them and take them home.

Defence lawyer Marc Labelle said his client was stunned by the jury's decision.

"The fact that she was involved in the accident in the first place was a hard experience for her," he said. "The fact that she had to go through a trial with a lot of publicity was tough and to be confirmed by 12 citizens, the jury, that the conduct was criminal is a hard blow."

Pauline Volikakis, whose husband and daughter were killed in the collision, briefly fought back tears when she left the courtroom.

"I don't wish misfortune on anyone," Volikakis said. "It's time that we go on. This will not bring [back] my loved ones."

Prosecutor Annie-Claude Chasse had a message for motorists.

"What we hope is that a clear message is sent to society that we do not stop on the highway for animals. It's not worth it."

According to Swedish rules the motorcycle guy was speeding (since he couldn't stop on the stretch of road he could see), but still...

Animals are meant to serve man.

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

jimmy olsen

Life in prison for manslaughter? Seems excessive.
Quotecriminal negligence causing death, a charge that carries a maximum life sentence, and two counts of dangerous driving causing death, which comes with a maximum of 14 years in jail.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

grumbler

Wow.  That's all kinds of fucked up, if this really happened as described.  Yeah, she was a moron for stopping her car and thinking it was a good idea to kidnap some ducklings, but I'd argue that the guy was killed because he ran his motorcycle into a stationary object.  The death of the daughter is on the head of the guy who rammed his motorcycle into a stopped car (but, given that he couldn't stand trial, I don't think prosecution was in order).

However, this is in Canada (and Quebec, no less), so fucked-upedness should be expected, I suppose.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

alfred russel

Quote from: jimmy olsen on June 22, 2014, 07:50:19 AM
Quotecriminal negligence causing death, a charge that carries a maximum life sentence, and two counts of dangerous driving causing death, which comes with a maximum of 14 years in jail.

I'll tell you what. You get the penalty reduced to a couple of weeks, and then send me your route to and from work.

Then every day after that I will leave my car stationary on that path just around curves while I look for ducklings to rescue.  :P
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

CountDeMoney

Quote from: grumbler on June 22, 2014, 07:58:03 AM
Wow.  That's all kinds of fucked up, if this really happened as described.

Just a bit.

Quote"What we hope is that a clear message is sent to society that we do not stop on the highway for animals. It's not worth it."

Funny, usually the clear message sent to motorcyclists in driver's education is to watch the road for obstacles, debris and other vehicles.

Admiral Yi

Ideologue

Seriously fucked up.  Negligently causing car accident can equal life in prison?  Are you fucking kidding me?

QuoteCzornobaj was released until her pre-sentence hearing on August 8.

Hope she has the guts to do what's good and necessary.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ideologue

Quote from: alfred russel on June 22, 2014, 08:07:55 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on June 22, 2014, 07:50:19 AM

I'll tell you what. You get the penalty reduced to a couple of weeks, and then send me your route to and from work.

Then every day after that I will leave my car stationary on that path just around curves while I look for ducklings to rescue.  :P

Sounds reasonable.  My car has these things called brakes.  Also a steering wheel.  Also it's a car and not a suicide machine.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

grumbler

Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 22, 2014, 08:43:48 AM
Quote from: grumbler on June 22, 2014, 07:58:03 AM
Wow.  That's all kinds of fucked up, if this really happened as described.

Just a bit.

Quote"What we hope is that a clear message is sent to society that we do not stop on the highway for animals. It's not worth it."

Funny, usually the clear message sent to motorcyclists in driver's education is to watch the road for obstacles, debris and other vehicles.
And don't speed. The guy was doing about 75 mph in a 55 mph zone.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Ideologue

Query: Why would a road with true blind curves have a 55mph speed limit, anyway?
Kinemalogue

CountDeMoney

Quote from: grumbler on June 22, 2014, 09:10:10 AM

Too be fair to him, this was criminal negligence, so she specifically stopped the vehicle with the specific aim of killing him.  What with intent embedded in "criminal" and all.

Ed Anger

Ducks. The greatest evil in the world. They travel in packs and shit everywhere.

And they don't wear pants.

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

viper37

Quote from: The Brain on June 22, 2014, 07:41:09 AM
OK I normally don't do this, but I'm gonna do a Sweetass and start a thread inspired by Paradox OT.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/northamerica/canada/10916470/Canadian-woman-who-stopped-car-to-help-ducks-faces-life-in-jail-after-causing-fatal-crash.html

QuoteCanadian woman who stopped car to help ducks faces life in jail after causing fatal crash

Emma Czornobaj sentenced over deaths of Andre Roy and 16-year-old daughter Jessie for parking car on busy road after seeing ducklings without their mother

By AP

10:47AM BST 21 Jun 2014

A Canadian woman who parked her car on a highway to help a group of ducklings on the side of the road has been found guilty of causing the deaths of a motorcyclist and his passenger daughter who slammed into her car.

Emma Czornobaj was convicted by a jury on Friday on two counts of criminal negligence causing death, a charge that carries a maximum life sentence, and two counts of dangerous driving causing death, which comes with a maximum of 14 years in jail.

The 25 year-old was charged in the deaths of Andre Roy, 50, and his daughter Jessie, 16.

She wiped away tears when the verdict was delivered to a packed courtroom in Montreal. Quebec Superior Court Justice Eliane Perreault said the 12-member jury voted unanimously.

Czornobaj was released until her pre-sentence hearing on August 8.

Related Articles
White House orders creation of 'Pollinator Health Task Force' to protect bees
21 Jun 2014
Watch: giraffe born at San Diego zoo
20 Jun 2014
'Once in a lifetime' rare white whale spotted off Sydney
20 Jun 2014
Scientists discover fish-eating spiders
19 Jun 2014

Roy's motorcycle slammed into Czornobaj's car, which was stopped in the left lane of a provincial highway south of Montreal in 2010.

Czornobaj, a self-professed animal lover, told the court that she did not see the ducklings' mother anywhere and planned to capture them and take them home.

Defence lawyer Marc Labelle said his client was stunned by the jury's decision.

"The fact that she was involved in the accident in the first place was a hard experience for her," he said. "The fact that she had to go through a trial with a lot of publicity was tough and to be confirmed by 12 citizens, the jury, that the conduct was criminal is a hard blow."

Pauline Volikakis, whose husband and daughter were killed in the collision, briefly fought back tears when she left the courtroom.

"I don't wish misfortune on anyone," Volikakis said. "It's time that we go on. This will not bring [back] my loved ones."

Prosecutor Annie-Claude Chasse had a message for motorists.

"What we hope is that a clear message is sent to society that we do not stop on the highway for animals. It's not worth it."

According to Swedish rules the motorcycle guy was speeding (since he couldn't stop on the stretch of road he could see), but still...

Animals are meant to serve man.

Technically, he wasn't speeding, he was below 119km/h and you receive no speeding tickets for that, even though the limit is 100km/h.

The women was dumb.  Stopping on the left side of the highway to let the ducks cross.  :wacko:
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 22, 2014, 08:43:48 AM
it is highly unexpected for a car to be stopped on the left lane.  It is also illegal to stop on the left lane.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 22, 2014, 09:19:54 AM
Quote from: grumbler on June 22, 2014, 09:10:10 AM

Too be fair to him, this was criminal negligence, so she specifically stopped the vehicle with the specific aim of killing him.  What with intent embedded in "criminal" and all.
criminal negligence needs you committed an illegal act, not specifically out of malice.  Like driving under influence and killing someone.   Like speeding (real speeding) and killing someone.