News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

CdM is in love!

Started by The Brain, June 22, 2014, 07:41:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

Quote from: DGuller on June 22, 2014, 11:29:51 AM
To get to the point half a mile away from your car, you first have to start from the point right next to your car.  During that window, you're a goner in an accident.

Elevated risk for 5 seconds vs. slightly less risk for half an hour.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

DGuller

Ok, another Google search.  The term is "motorist in broken down car killed".  I only looked through the first two pages.  Only one person was actually killed inside the car, and that was when the truck crashed into the car, and it was in Britain (so it could've been a car smaller than anything a typical American drives).  Most of the rest were killed when they were near their car, with the rest being murders.

grumbler

The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

alfred russel

I would guess that most people aren't so crazy to sit in their cars while on a highway.  :P
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Eddie Teach

Unless it's "rush hour".
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

grumbler

Quote from: alfred russel on June 22, 2014, 11:45:22 AM
I would guess that most people aren't so crazy to sit in their cars while on a highway.  :P
That all depends.  If you are on the DC beltway and break down, your chances of living to cross the road are pretty small, so you should stay in the car with the emergency blinkers on, and wait for the cop to come along in five minutes or so.  If you are on the Pennsy Turnpike, five miles from any junction, you'd be better off getting out of the car and well off the road.

With cell phones, breakdowns are much less of a hassle/danger, because you can immediately call for help.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

The Brain

Quote from: grumbler on June 22, 2014, 11:49:36 AM
That all depends.  If you are on the DC beltway and break down, your chances of living to cross the road are pretty small, so you should stay in the car with the emergency blinkers on, and wait for the cop to come along in five minutes or so.  If you are on the Pennsy Turnpike, five miles from any junction, you'd be better off getting out of the car and well off the road.

With cell phones, breakdowns are much less of a hassle/danger, because you can immediately call for help.

You mean update FB.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Ideologue

There was a guy the other month who crossed I-126 in front of me on foot at night.

Super-illegal, but somehow I avoided killing him.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

grumbler

Quote from: The Brain on June 22, 2014, 11:56:04 AM
You mean update FB.

Well, I'd update Fireblade after the event, for sure.

Bayraktar!

The Brain

If Quebec had been a stand-your-ground state she would have been fine.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: grumbler on June 22, 2014, 11:49:36 AM
That all depends.  If you are on the DC beltway and break down, your chances of living to cross the road are pretty small, so you should stay in the car with the emergency blinkers on, and wait for the cop to come along in five minutes or so.

:yes: And if you can't use you blinkers, you should always have flares  or a reflective red triangle in the trunk.  Some are even available to mount on your car.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: grumbler on June 22, 2014, 10:50:54 AM
No question that it is extremely stupid to stop in the left lane, and no question but what the woman is negligent to a degree, but the negligence of the motorcycle rider, particularly with his daughter on board, seems to me to be the greater.

So how does negligence on part of the victim work in Canadian law, then?  I mean, other than being ignored?

Barrister

Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 22, 2014, 12:43:22 PM
Quote from: grumbler on June 22, 2014, 10:50:54 AM
No question that it is extremely stupid to stop in the left lane, and no question but what the woman is negligent to a degree, but the negligence of the motorcycle rider, particularly with his daughter on board, seems to me to be the greater.

So how does negligence on part of the victim work in Canadian law, then?  I mean, other than being ignored?

Well Quebec and the civil code is a bit funny (which means fuck if I know), but in the rest of Canada you absolutely do have contributory negligence, so you can find the victim 75% responsible, but that still means the other person pays out 25%.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

mongers

Quote from: Razgovory on June 22, 2014, 10:56:38 AM

Also the accused is rather attractive.

Ah, that's the crucial data point we've been missing up until now.  :cool:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Razgovory

I do wonder if she would have been convicted in the US or even tried.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017