News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

CdM is in love!

Started by The Brain, June 22, 2014, 07:41:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 22, 2014, 10:10:24 AM
If you have a point to make, feel free to do so.

Seems to me that if it had been a blind curve it is reasonably likely it would have been mentioned, and considering that people lose focus all the time in traffic it seems reasonably likely that the guy simply wasn't paying attention. His speed also indicates to me that he likely wan't going through a blind curve at the time (but of course it's possible that he was so distracted that he didn't notice the curve).
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

DGuller

Quote from: alfred russel on June 22, 2014, 10:13:48 AM
I'd consider it absurdly dangerous to stay in a broken down car on the highway. Even if broken down on the shoulder, I'd want to get out of the car because of the chance of a car crashing into it is too high (I almost experienced this as a kid).
Interesting.  In that situation, I'd rather stay in the car, because I figure I'll be more vulnerable outside of it.  Having a car at full speed crash into a stationary car may look sudden and shocking, but it's actually not that dangerous compared to a head-on, especially to the car being hit.  If some car is going to read-end my car, then a couple of cars are going to fly somewhere, and I may be in their path completely exposed.

The Brain

Quote from: DGuller on June 22, 2014, 10:20:29 AM
I'd consider it absurdly dangerous to stay in a broken down car on the highway. Even if broken down on the shoulder, I'd want to get out of the car because of the chance of a car crashing into it is too high (I almost experienced this as a kid).
Interesting.  In that situation, I'd rather stay in the car, because I figure I'll be more vulnerable outside of it.  Having a car at full speed crash into a stationary car may look sudden and shocking, but it's actually not that dangerous compared to a head-on, especially to the car being hit.  If some car is going to read-end my car, then a couple of cars are going to fly somewhere, and I may be in their path completely exposed.

I don't think you have to expose yourself every time you get out of the car.

Eddie Teach

It's New Jersey custom.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

alfred russel

A lot depends on how busy the highway is. On the highway through here, there is very heavy traffic. A woman at my old company was driving one day and someone stopped on the road to pick up a ladder that was dropped. She hit him and almost died. No one blamed her, because there is enough traffic to focus on that something as unexpected as a stopped car in the road is probably not going to register immediately (and other traffic blocks you view anyway).

If I go and park my car in the highway right now for no good reason right now, there is a high probability someone is going hit it. The speeds make a fatality very possible. Why shouldn't I get in a shitload of trouble for that? It is probably a lot more objectively dangerous than driving home after having 3-4 beers, and if someone gets killed after that I'm going to be in a lot of trouble.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

DGuller

Quote from: The Brain on June 22, 2014, 10:21:10 AM
You're right, you don't have to.

The Brain

Quote from: DGuller on June 22, 2014, 10:25:50 AM
Quote from: The Brain on June 22, 2014, 10:21:10 AM
You're right, you don't have to.

Land of the free.

alfred russel

Quote from: DGuller on June 22, 2014, 10:20:29 AM

I think this is completely wrong. Get out of the car, and stand well off the road (and obviously not in front of the car).
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)

alfred russel

The Brain

Eddie Teach

I don't see race. At least, not when the video quality is that low. They both look greenish grey.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Razgovory

Either Canadian law is screwy or the story is not right.  The back end of a car is sacrosanct.  You are supposed to keep a decent distance from the car ahead of you in case they have make an emergency stop or something.  If you run into the back of someone else's car you are almost always in the wrong.  Last month I had to hit the breaks in my neighborhood to avoid hitting a kid.  Goofy kid runs out in front of the car and I slam on the breaks.  Nearly gave me a heart attack.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

DGuller

Quote from: alfred russel on June 22, 2014, 10:30:58 AM
To illustrate the point to DGuller:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=McZHJ9-jYi8
:huh: What exactly does that illustrate?  Yes, if you are going to get out of your car, you need to really be away from it, and definitely not stay between two  stopped cars.  So what?

If anything, this shows you how much more vulnerable you are out of the car that you need to pick your spot carefully.  Her car was a mess after it was hit, but it was the back of her car.  She would be risking a whiplash at worst staying in her car, whereas out of the car she could've been seriously hurt if the crash happened 10 seconds before.

Ideologue

If there was some sort of weather, it may obstruct the views.

Well, I'm sure there was some kind of weather. :P
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Admiral Yi

Quote from: The Brain on June 22, 2014, 10:17:32 AM
Seems to me that if it had been a blind curve it is reasonably likely it would have been mentioned, and considering that people lose focus all the time in traffic it seems reasonably likely that the guy simply wasn't paying attention. His speed also indicates to me that he likely wan't going through a blind curve at the time (but of course it's possible that he was so distracted that he didn't notice the curve).

They didn't mention it was a straightaway either, which would have been as natural to mention as a blind curve.

We know he was on a motorcycle, with his 16 year old daughter as a passenger, and that he hit a car in the other lane.  Those factors all suggest he wasn't the most cautious driver.