News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

CdM is in love!

Started by The Brain, June 22, 2014, 07:41:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Liep

If he was going into a blind curve with 119km/h with his kid on the bike he's a massive arse speeding or not. But yes, the woman was a moron, and morons shouldn't be allowed to drive. Also, I feel it's completely fair that she should live with their lives on her conscience. But lifetime imprisonment for being dumb and careless?
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

viper37

Quote from: Ideologue on June 22, 2014, 09:11:27 AM
Query: Why would a road with true blind curves have a 55mph speed limit, anyway?
It's a 60mph speed limit, not 55mph.  We need blind spots so that cops can hide and tax us for speeding.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

grumbler

Quote from: Ideologue on June 22, 2014, 09:11:27 AM
Query: Why would a road with true blind curves have a 55mph speed limit, anyway?
According to other accounts I have read, this wasn't on a curve at all.  After all, the woman saw the ducks in plenty of time to stop, and there was a car that swerved to miss her before the motorcycle hit her (which was about a minute after she stopped).

The motorcyclist was only able to shed about 10 mph from his speed before impact, so doesn't seem to have been paying attention.  His wife, who was riding another bike with him, had no trouble avoiding the stopped car.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

viper37

Quote from: Liep on June 22, 2014, 09:46:48 AM
If he was going into a blind curve with 119km/h with his kid on the bike he's a massive arse speeding or not. But yes, the woman was a moron, and morons shouldn't be allowed to drive. Also, I feel it's completely fair that she should live with their lives on her conscience. But lifetime imprisonment for being dumb and careless?
It's kind the normal thing to do, driving 119 km/h on the highway.  It most likely wasn't a true blind curve, but I don't know the exact spot where this happenned.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

DGuller

Quote from: grumbler on June 22, 2014, 07:58:03 AM
However, this is in Canada (and Quebec, no less), so fucked-upedness should be expected, I suppose.
I think Quebec is the keyword.  Whenever I hear of some fucked up story out of Canada, it's always Quebec.  As much as we like to mock Canadians, apart from their paltry mortgage options and dubious tastes in Olympic sports, their society seems to be relatively free of outrageous dysfunction.

viper37

Quote from: grumbler on June 22, 2014, 09:50:32 AM
The motorcyclist was only able to shed about 10 mph from his speed before impact, so doesn't seem to have been paying attention.  His wife, who was riding another bike with him, had no trouble avoiding the stopped car.
she was farther behind.

Liep

Quote from: viper37 on June 22, 2014, 09:51:22 AM
Quote from: grumbler on June 22, 2014, 09:50:32 AM
she was farther behind.

That shouldn't matter if it was a blind curve. I can sort of forgive the man if he hadn't paid attention to a vehicle in front of him if he had judged the distance to be significant. But at 119km/h a stationary object just closes in extremely quick.

I hadn't read that it was a highway (our speed limit there is 130km/h), but if that's the case then it's extremely stupid to stop in the left lane.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

DGuller

Quote from: Ed Anger on June 22, 2014, 09:24:19 AM
Ducks. The greatest evil in the world. They travel in packs and shit everywhere.

And they don't wear pants.
We have plenty of ducks on Jersey City waterfront as well.  They constantly jaywalk in long packs and cause the entire four-lane road to stop for them, and they thoroughly shit every square foot of the sidewalk (though you'll have to know what to look for to see it).

Admiral Yi

Quote from: viper37 on June 22, 2014, 09:44:01 AM
it is highly unexpected for a car to be stopped on the left lane.  It is also illegal to stop on the left lane.

It's also completely irrelevant for someone driving legally in the right lane.

(Unless the dude  on the motorcyle whacked her car while passing on a blind curve.  :wacko:)

The Brain

Where does this idea come from that it was a curve? Non-rhetorical.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: The Brain on June 22, 2014, 10:02:57 AM

I'm inferring it.  If you're on a 3 mile straightaway you can usually see a parked car in time.

The Brain

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 22, 2014, 10:05:04 AM

I'm inferring it.  If you're on a 3 mile straightaway you can usually see a parked car in time.

And you usually don't park there. And yet here we are.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Admiral Yi

If you have a point to make, feel free to do so.

alfred russel

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 22, 2014, 09:59:50 AM
Quote from: viper37 on June 22, 2014, 09:44:01 AM
it is highly unexpected for a car to be stopped on the left lane.  It is also illegal to stop on the left lane.

It's also completely irrelevant for someone driving legally in the right lane.

(Unless the dude  on the motorcyle whacked her car while passing on a blind curve.  :wacko:)

I don't know without more circumstances.

If the road is heavily used, faster traffic tends to stay in the left lane and slower in the right. Plus if it is heavily used, drivers tend to focus on the traffic around them (or may have a view obstructed by the car in front of them). If there was some sort of weather, it may obstruct the views.

I'd consider it absurdly dangerous to stay in a broken down car on the highway. Even if broken down on the shoulder, I'd want to get out of the car because of the chance of a car crashing into it is too high (I almost experienced this as a kid).
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

DGuller

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 22, 2014, 10:05:04 AM

Have you ever been in a situation where you're driving along a perfectly straight road, get distracted for just a second, and when you look up again after pressing the "send" button, you're somewhere completely different?