The Islamic State in Iraq and the Levant Megathread

Started by Tamas, June 10, 2014, 07:37:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zanza

So it is a full-blown sectarian war now that Ayatollah Sistani called the Shias to resist ISIS?

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Hansmeister

Quote from: Siege on June 13, 2014, 01:11:03 AM
Quote from: Hansmeister on June 12, 2014, 11:22:06 PM
No, they agreed to a SOFA in the end, but the General couldn't get a response from the White House.  My Cdr was on the General's Staff at that time (he also blamed the General for being too passive and not pushing for an answer, he had a reputation for indecisiveness).

Who was this? Odierno?
Nah, he was back in the States when the SOFA deal went south.

Austin.  Everything I heard about him paints him as terribly indecisive and not up to the job.  Combined with a President who simply didn't give a fuck this was a recipe for disaster.

Hansmeister

Quote from: DGuller on June 13, 2014, 01:21:00 AM
Quote from: Hansmeister on June 12, 2014, 11:22:06 PM
No, they agreed to a SOFA in the end, but the General couldn't get a response from the White House.  My Cdr was on the General's Staff at that time (he also blamed the General for being too passive and not pushing for an answer, he had a reputation for indecisiveness).
Why didn't you fire that general?  So, in a way, some of this is your fault.

I didn't work for him, so I couldn't fire him.  :D

Berkut

I would have no problem with the US providing air support, simply under the idea that the current government or Iraq is our ally, and we should support them.

No real faith that it will matter in the long run though.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Valmy

Quote from: Siege on June 12, 2014, 10:38:53 PM
Quote from: Valmy on June 10, 2014, 08:22:25 AM
Quote from: garbon on June 10, 2014, 07:48:26 AM
Until the next reason to hate us happened.

We made everybody who was a close ally of us regret it with that Iraq invasion.  Probably not the best international strategy.

Still better than Obama, who have lost every Egypt, Libya, Syria, etc.

Not exactly a high bar.  These last 14 years have been disastrous.  Oh for the days of Clinton and Bush I.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: Berkut on June 13, 2014, 08:10:44 AM
I would have no problem with the US providing air support, simply under the idea that the current government or Iraq is our ally, and we should support them.

ISIS really brings people together doesn't it?  Iran and the US might be allies on the same battlefield coming up here.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

derspiess

Quote from: Sheilbh on June 13, 2014, 06:06:00 AM
Reports/rumours that Sistani has ruled that it's a religious duty to fight ISIS.

So even less pressure on Salman Rushdie, then?
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

Yeah this would be a good time to draw Mohammed cartoons.

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

KRonn

Quote from: Valmy on June 13, 2014, 08:15:24 AM

ISIS really brings people together doesn't it?  Iran and the US might be allies on the same battlefield coming up here.

I guess no surprise if that happens. A major nation like Iraq, with it's prosperous oil money, ruled by ISIS/AQ would be a catastrophe. I wouldn't be surprised if even the UN nation security council all agree on taking some kind of military action.

Grey Fox

Quote from: KRonn on June 13, 2014, 09:49:33 AM
Quote from: Valmy on June 13, 2014, 08:15:24 AM

I guess no surprise if that happens. A major nation like Iraq, with it's prosperous oil money, ruled by ISIS/AQ would be a catastrophe. I wouldn't be surprised if even the UN nation security council all agree on taking some kind of military action.

We need to let that catastrophe happen tho. 10-15 years max and then we can partition it between the Kurds, Iran & Kuwait.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Valmy

No it is perfectly good and reasonable they would be so.  I am just thinking how we soon might be hearing something like 'the Iranian Revolutionary Guards called in US Air support'