The Islamic State in Iraq and the Levant Megathread

Started by Tamas, June 10, 2014, 07:37:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

It's a shame Isis worship isn't making a comeback.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Valmy

Quote from: mongers on June 12, 2014, 09:33:30 PM
apropos of the US efforts to halt the 1972 NVA invasion, they flew over 15,000 sorties. :whistle:

So...do you want the US to intervene or not?  You seem to be supporting and opposing both positions at the same time.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on June 12, 2014, 10:03:08 PM
It's a shame Isis worship isn't making a comeback.

Right?  If only that sort of Isis was spreading across the Middle East.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

derspiess

Quote from: Valmy on June 12, 2014, 10:06:47 PM
apropos of the US efforts to halt the 1972 NVA invasion, they flew over 15,000 sorties. :whistle:

So...do you want the US to intervene or not?  You seem to be supporting and opposing both positions at the same time.

The North Vietnamese took a beating in 1972.  I'm not sure what he's getting at.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Ed Anger

Quote from: derspiess on June 12, 2014, 10:11:47 PM
Quote from: Valmy on June 12, 2014, 10:06:47 PM

The North Vietnamese took a beating in 1972.  I'm not sure what he's getting at.

Bomb Vietnam.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on June 12, 2014, 09:00:54 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 12, 2014, 08:43:14 PM
We should've left another Saddam Hussein in charge, our Saddam Hussein.  There were plenty of Sunni generals to choose from, but nooooo....

I've been saying that since before we invaded.

And I've been saying the result of "democracy" was going to be the Islamic Revolutionary Republic of Iraq.  Misshun Akkcomblisheded.

Siege

Quote from: Valmy on June 10, 2014, 08:22:25 AM
Quote from: garbon on June 10, 2014, 07:48:26 AM
Until the next reason to hate us happened.

We made everybody who was a close ally of us regret it with that Iraq invasion.  Probably not the best international strategy.

Still better than Obama, who have lost every Egypt, Libya, Syria, etc.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

alfred russel

We should drop Erik Spoelstra into ISIS territory. Maybe he will assume tactical control, which will cause the ISIS to be routed. Maybe he will be decapitated in a grainy video. Either way, we win.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

sbr

Erik Spoelstra is the same age as me and went to high school in the Portland area; he went to the local Jesuit High School.  They happened to be in the same league as the high school I went to.  When they came to our school for basketball games we all yelled/chanted 'gook' at him whenever he had the ball.  :blush:

sbr

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 12, 2014, 10:51:02 PM
Is he half Korean?

Phillipino

QuoteHis mother, Elisa, is a native of San Pablo, Laguna, Philippines.

jimmy olsen

Yeah? And if we'd done the same in 1975 there'd still be a South Vietnam.

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Hansmeister

Quote from: Valmy on June 12, 2014, 07:36:57 PM
Quote from: viper37 on June 12, 2014, 07:25:01 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 12, 2014, 07:17:52 PM
Obama is not the world's policeman.
No, but the US bombed and invaded the country and left before the reconstruction job was fully done.

We left when the elected government of Iraq requested we leave.  What were we supposed to say 'NO PUPPETS YOU BELONG TO US'?  That would have helped the reconstruction project along :P

They didn't ask us to leave.  In the contrary, they wanted a SOFA with up to 15,000 US troops.  It was Obama who torpedoed the SOFA.

Or more precisely, Obama simply refused to answer the request for the SOFA, as usual, Obama voted present on his own foreign policy.

Jaron

Winner of THE grumbler point.