The Islamic State in Iraq and the Levant Megathread

Started by Tamas, June 10, 2014, 07:37:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Quote from: viper37 on June 12, 2014, 07:25:01 PM
No, but the US bombed and invaded the country and left before the reconstruction job was fully done.

Recent events in the Arab world demonstrate that reconstruction, in the sense of people not killing those they disagree with, is a 100 year project.  We left them with the ability to choose for themselves what type of government they want.  They chose poorly.

Valmy

Quote from: viper37 on June 12, 2014, 07:25:01 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 12, 2014, 07:17:52 PM
Obama is not the world's policeman.
No, but the US bombed and invaded the country and left before the reconstruction job was fully done.

We left when the elected government of Iraq requested we leave.  What were we supposed to say 'NO PUPPETS YOU BELONG TO US'?  That would have helped the reconstruction project along :P
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 12, 2014, 07:17:52 PM
Obama is not the world's policeman.

Good thing too.  Derspeiss would have shot him by now.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

mongers

Am I hearing the sound of frantic hand-washing ?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Admiral Yi

mongers

You know, I'd rather like to hear Seigy's opinion on what's happening there, as someone who invested time, effort and blood over there. 

jimmy olsen

Wiki's map of this situation. I wonder what that little enclave to the east is supposed to be?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Valmy on June 12, 2014, 07:36:57 PM
We left when the elected government of Iraq requested we leave.  What were we supposed to say 'NO PUPPETS YOU BELONG TO US'?  That would have helped the reconstruction project along :P

We should've left another Saddam Hussein in charge, our Saddam Hussein.  There were plenty of Sunni generals to choose from, but nooooo....

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 12, 2014, 08:43:14 PM
We should've left another Saddam Hussein in charge, our Saddam Hussein.  There were plenty of Sunni generals to choose from, but nooooo....

I've been saying that since before we invaded.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

Quote from: jimmy olsen on June 12, 2014, 08:35:20 PM
Wiki's map of this situation. I wonder what that little enclave to the east is supposed to be?

Kinda looks like a penis.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

mongers

apropos of the US efforts to halt the 1972 NVA invasion, they flew over 15,000 sorties. :whistle:

Queequeg

Am I wrong Sheilbh or does this kind of make sense in a way the Syrian-Iraqi border never did? It's over the traditional trade and pilgrimage routes and the Euphrates. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

alfred russel

Quote from: Legbiter on June 12, 2014, 11:11:34 AM

:lol:

I've a soft spot for them, they're the only players in Iraq who've made a decent go of it.

Don't give all your affection to the Kurds just yet. Another group may also make a run at success; recently the ISIS has been enjoying positive results.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Queequeg

Kurds are way less religious than any other Muslim Mid-Eastern ethnicity.  Keep in mind the insurgency in Eastern Turkey is Marxist.  They sell Melek Taus amulets and balloons, the Satan-y Peacock Angels the Kurdish Yazidi worship, in little markets all across the ethnic Kurdish areas of Turkey and Syria.  You bring one of those to Saudi Arabia and you might be brought up on blasphemy charges.  ISIL murder suspected Yazidis on sight. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

derspiess

Quote from: mongers on June 12, 2014, 09:33:30 PM
apropos of the US efforts to halt the 1972 NVA invasion, they flew over 15,000 sorties. :whistle:

And?