The Islamic State in Iraq and the Levant Megathread

Started by Tamas, June 10, 2014, 07:37:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Samara has fallen. :( They're going to regret giving up those arms.

QuoteIn nearby Samara, where insurgents have been negotiating with Iraqi army officials, car dealer Taher Hassan said militants had turned up on Sunday and quickly taken control of most of the city.

He said: "All the local police forces have pulled out of their bases in the city. The fighters are negotiating with the tribes who are in charge of the two shrines so they can try to convince army forces near the shrine to hand themselves over without a fight.Everyone in Samara is happy with the fighters' management of the city. They have proved to be professional and competent. The fighters themselves did not harm or kill anyone as they swept forward. Any man who hands over his arm is safe, whatever his background. This attitude is giving a huge comfort to people here. We have lived enough years of injustice, revenge and tyranny and we can't stand any more."
http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/jun/12/jihadist-victories-iraq-us-troops

That's not entirely accurate Hans. They want 15k troops, but they also wanted the ability to put them on trial for civilian casualties. Given the urban nature of the war there, those are inevitable and it's understandable that gave Obama pause. However, I will say that he didn't try that hard to negotiate after that. They could have worked something out if he wanted.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Hansmeister

No, they agreed to a SOFA in the end, but the General couldn't get a response from the White House.  My Cdr was on the General's Staff at that time (he also blamed the General for being too passive and not pushing for an answer, he had a reputation for indecisiveness).

Syt

Quote from: Hansmeister on June 12, 2014, 11:22:06 PM
No, they agreed to a SOFA in the end, but the General couldn't get a response from the White House.

They were still looking at IKEA catalogues.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Siege

No, they agreed to a SOFA in the end, but the General couldn't get a response from the White House.  My Cdr was on the General's Staff at that time (he also blamed the General for being too passive and not pushing for an answer, he had a reputation for indecisiveness).

Who was this? Odierno?
Nah, he was back in the States when the SOFA deal went south.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

DGuller

Why didn't you fire that general?  So, in a way, some of this is your fault.

Zanza

Iran said they'll intervene in Iraq. It would be interesting to see the Revolutionary Guards and the Marines fight side-by-side. :) Maybe that opens a way for diplomatic relations between Iran and the United States? A common foe has brought other opponents together in the past...

Viking

Quote from: Zanza on June 13, 2014, 03:57:21 AM
Iran said they'll intervene in Iraq. It would be interesting to see the Revolutionary Guards and the Marines fight side-by-side. :) Maybe that opens a way for diplomatic relations between Iran and the United States? A common foe has brought other opponents together in the past...

Whatever happens you won't get both. There is one thing Maliki does know. Americans will leave when you ask them, the same does not apply to Iran.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Sheilbh

Reports/rumours that Sistani has ruled that it's a religious duty to fight ISIS.
Let's bomb Russia!

mongers

Quote from: Valmy on June 12, 2014, 10:06:47 PM
Quote from: mongers on June 12, 2014, 09:33:30 PM
apropos of the US efforts to halt the 1972 NVA invasion, they flew over 15,000 sorties. :whistle:

So...do you want the US to intervene or not?  You seem to be supporting and opposing both positions at the same time.

Where have I said I'm against US intervention ?

I'm in favour of intensive US air operations, hopefully having started the day before yesterday.

Whilst these islamists are out in the open, nows the time to hit them hard, when they're relative easy targets, using the main highways in large convoys of vehicles; teach them a hard lessons that they've sifted away from hit and run to conventional fighting too early.

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Viking

Quote from: mongers on June 13, 2014, 06:17:58 AM
Quote from: Valmy on June 12, 2014, 10:06:47 PM
Quote from: mongers on June 12, 2014, 09:33:30 PM
apropos of the US efforts to halt the 1972 NVA invasion, they flew over 15,000 sorties. :whistle:

So...do you want the US to intervene or not?  You seem to be supporting and opposing both positions at the same time.

Where have I said I'm against US intervention ?

I'm in favour of intensive US air operations, hopefully having started the day before yesterday.

Whilst these islamists are out in the open, nows the time to hit them hard, when they're relative easy targets, using the main highways in large convoys of vehicles; teach them a hard lessons that they've sifted away from hit and run to conventional fighting too early.

My gut tells me Maliki is dithering and unable to find the political capital to send the army into action - alternately realizing that he destroyed the army himself.

Its all well and good proclaiming independence, but when you can't assert control of your own territory in this manner it's hard to claim that you are independent. I think this is what the Kurds have been waiting for - the government proves itself a government of one sect, one faction and one race.

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Sheilbh

Apparently Maliki asked the Kurds for help last week, but wouldn't agree to any concessions, so they basically said fuck him.

I don't know what to do. But my instinct is that Americans should storm the Bastille if taxpayer dollars are spent providing air support for the Revolutionary Guards.
Let's bomb Russia!

Caliga

Quote from: Sheilbh on June 13, 2014, 06:47:27 AM
I don't know what to do. But my instinct is that Americans should storm the Bastille if taxpayer dollars are spent providing air support for the Revolutionary Guards.
I agree.  Anything as an excuse to conquer France works for me.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Sheilbh

Shia Modques in Baghdad calling people to come and collect arms.
Let's bomb Russia!

Viking

Quote from: Sheilbh on June 13, 2014, 06:57:29 AM
Shia Modques in Baghdad calling people to come and collect arms.

Children's Jihad ffs.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.