The Islamic State in Iraq and the Levant Megathread

Started by Tamas, June 10, 2014, 07:37:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

Quote from: mongers on June 13, 2014, 05:08:37 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 13, 2014, 05:01:17 PM
The mongers option is drop some JDAMs.

If they were still avaiable I'd also want to see some A10s parked in Kuwait and from there sent on  some long road trips.

Not epic?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

KRonn

If the Iranians do go in with troops then they'll likely remain and maybe own the territory they take from ISIS, at least for a while or for good, becoming even closer with Iraq. It strengthens Iran in the region. So while Iranian troops may be a good idea for the short term, the price to pay afterwards may not be so palatable.

Berkut

"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

CountDeMoney

Quote from: KRonn on June 13, 2014, 08:13:05 PM
If the Iranians do go in with troops then they'll likely remain and maybe own the territory they take from ISIS, at least for a while or for good, becoming even closer with Iraq. It strengthens Iran in the region. So while Iranian troops may be a good idea for the short term, the price to pay afterwards may not be so palatable.

You sorta missed that boat when it sailed in 2003.

KRonn

Well, people were talking about Iranians calling in US air strikes, like it was maybe cool that the US and Iran work together. Iran and the US had a chance to work together a bit early in the Afghan war too. Just pointing out the obvious downsides.

CountDeMoney

It was implausible in the original Gulf Strike, and it's implausible now.

Hansmeister

Quote from: Razgovory on June 13, 2014, 02:51:33 PM
An editorial from the Wall Street Journal.  That closes the case.

Maybe you prefer The New Yorker

QuoteThe leaders of all the major Iraqi parties had privately told American commanders that they wanted several thousand military personnel to remain, to train Iraqi forces and to help track down insurgents. The commanders told me that Maliki, too, said that he wanted to keep troops in Iraq. But he argued that the long-standing agreement that gave American soldiers immunity from Iraqi courts was increasingly unpopular; parliament would forbid the troops to stay unless they were subject to local law.

President Obama, too, was ambivalent about retaining even a small force in Iraq. For several months, American officials told me, they were unable to answer basic questions in meetings with Iraqis—like how many troops they wanted to leave behind—because the Administration had not decided. "We got no guidance from the White House," Jeffrey told me. "We didn't know where the President was. Maliki kept saying, 'I don't know what I have to sell.' " At one meeting, Maliki said that he was willing to sign an executive agreement granting the soldiers permission to stay, if he didn't have to persuade the parliament to accept immunity. The Obama Administration quickly rejected the idea. "The American attitude was: Let's get out of here as quickly as possible," Sami al-Askari, the Iraqi member of parliament, said.

The last American combat troops departed Iraq on December 18, 2011. Some U.S. officials believe that Maliki never intended to allow soldiers to remain; in a recent e-mail, he denied ever supporting such a plan, saying, "I am the owner of the idea of withdrawing the U.S. troops." Many Iraqi and American officials are convinced that even a modest force would have been able to prevent chaos—not by fighting but by providing training, signals intelligence, and a symbolic presence. "If you had a few hundred here, not even a few thousand, they would be coöperating with you, and they would become your partners," Askari told me. "But, when they left, all of them left. There's no one to talk to about anything."

PRC

Quote from: Valmy on June 13, 2014, 04:52:32 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 13, 2014, 04:49:57 PM
NPR had the former US commander in northern Iraq pointing out the difficulty of conducting strikes without deploying air controllers, i.e. boots on the ground.  At least two of them.

Huh.  We didn't have any problem doing that in Kosovo...well ok sorry Chinese Embassy.

Can't they send in a few Special Forces if they need some spotters?

Air Combat Controllers are Special Forces.

The Brain

Viking

Anybody remember this?

I think we will soon see a flood of smug "I told you so"'s
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

The Brain

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 13, 2014, 04:55:11 PM
Quote from: Valmy on June 13, 2014, 04:52:32 PM
Huh.  We didn't have any problem doing that in Kosovo...well ok sorry Chinese Embassy.

I believe we were hitting fixed installations in Serbia, not a couple thousand screaming jihadists who look like civilians.

QuoteCan't they send in a few Special Forces if they need some spotters?

They wear boots too.

carpet bombing (or bombing the carpets) could help here. Lets the anti-crowd whine.

Legbiter

Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Razgovory

Quote from: Hansmeister on June 13, 2014, 10:57:22 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on June 13, 2014, 02:51:33 PM
An editorial from the Wall Street Journal.  That closes the case.

Maybe you prefer The New Yorker

QuoteThe leaders of all the major Iraqi parties had privately told American commanders that they wanted several thousand military personnel to remain, to train Iraqi forces and to help track down insurgents. The commanders told me that Maliki, too, said that he wanted to keep troops in Iraq. But he argued that the long-standing agreement that gave American soldiers immunity from Iraqi courts was increasingly unpopular; parliament would forbid the troops to stay unless they were subject to local law.

President Obama, too, was ambivalent about retaining even a small force in Iraq. For several months, American officials told me, they were unable to answer basic questions in meetings with Iraqis—like how many troops they wanted to leave behind—because the Administration had not decided. "We got no guidance from the White House," Jeffrey told me. "We didn't know where the President was. Maliki kept saying, 'I don't know what I have to sell.' " At one meeting, Maliki said that he was willing to sign an executive agreement granting the soldiers permission to stay, if he didn't have to persuade the parliament to accept immunity. The Obama Administration quickly rejected the idea. "The American attitude was: Let's get out of here as quickly as possible," Sami al-Askari, the Iraqi member of parliament, said.

The last American combat troops departed Iraq on December 18, 2011. Some U.S. officials believe that Maliki never intended to allow soldiers to remain; in a recent e-mail, he denied ever supporting such a plan, saying, "I am the owner of the idea of withdrawing the U.S. troops." Many Iraqi and American officials are convinced that even a modest force would have been able to prevent chaos—not by fighting but by providing training, signals intelligence, and a symbolic presence. "If you had a few hundred here, not even a few thousand, they would be coöperating with you, and they would become your partners," Askari told me. "But, when they left, all of them left. There's no one to talk to about anything."

So you post an article where the leader denies every actually agreeing to having more American troops there and has pride in the fact he is the "owner of the idea of withdrawing troops"?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Queequeg

Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."