The Islamic State in Iraq and the Levant Megathread

Started by Tamas, June 10, 2014, 07:37:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: derspiess on June 12, 2014, 11:16:54 AM
Yeah, as long as they don't overextend themselves, I'm rooting for the Kurds to come out of this okay (assuming everything else goes to shit).  I read somewhere that ISIS apparently doesn't have a beef with the Kurds, which struck me as odd.  Seems like everyone in that region likes to pick on the Kurds.

Kurds are still sunnis (though hardly salafists).

ISIS's big beef is with the Shia - like al-Maliki, or Assad's Iranian allies.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Viking

Quote from: Barrister on June 12, 2014, 11:20:42 AM
Yeah, as long as they don't overextend themselves, I'm rooting for the Kurds to come out of this okay (assuming everything else goes to shit).  I read somewhere that ISIS apparently doesn't have a beef with the Kurds, which struck me as odd.  Seems like everyone in that region likes to pick on the Kurds.

Kurds are still sunnis (though hardly salafists).

ISIS's big beef is with the Shia - like al-Maliki, or Assad's Iranian allies.

Yeah, cause ISIS had no beef with the 150 thousand or so sunni refugees running for Irbil.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

citizen k

derspiess

Quote from: citizen k on June 12, 2014, 12:13:12 PM
Crowd Gathers to Show Support of ISIS Takeover of Mosul
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BR5cjO_FyUM

That dude speaking obviously visited the Allahu Snackbar a few too many times.  Loved the requisite shooting into the air at the end.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

citizen k

I loved all the smartphones. The revolution will be televised "youtubed".

Sheilbh

From what I gather they don't really care about the Kurds provided they're not claiming an oilfield or in a 'mixed area'. They've also had a massive falling out with al-Qaeda in Kurdistan (and the rest of al-Qaeda, except, possibly, for the Yemeni branch) so there's some fights there.

Also they seem quite canny. It'd be mad to try and take Kurdish areas which are well defended by disciplined forces when they could be fighting the Iraqi army to the south.

I believe their statement has been addressed to 'the Arabs' in Iraq and basically said we've tried all forms of secular government: monarchy, Baath Republic, Persian-Safavid Republic and they've failed. It may not mean much but I think their immediate goal is a Sunni-Arab state, not something in the borders of 'Iraq' or 'Syria', which may be fine for the Kurds.

QuoteOh noes, the ISIS is going to reestablish the Caliphate! :o
Not the Caliphate but an Islamic Emirate. They're already closer to that, in the heart of the Sunni Arab homeland, than al-Qaeda have ever been and they've got half a billion dollars to spend. In terms of propaganda and, if they so choose, potential to fund global terrorism they're a far bigger deal than al-Qaeda were/are.

Also I think Ricks is right. This could be the start of the end of Sykes-Picot in the Middle East which would be hellish.
Let's bomb Russia!

DGuller

Quote from: Sheilbh on June 12, 2014, 12:33:40 PM
Also I think Ricks is right. This could be the start of the end of Sykes-Picot in the Middle East which would be hellish.
Why would it be hellish?  The current borders seem to not work very well, and leave the conflicts simmering indefinitely.

The Brain

I'd hate to see the Middle East descend into a maelstrom of violence.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Sheilbh

Quote from: DGuller on June 12, 2014, 12:44:36 PM
Why would it be hellish?  The current borders seem to not work very well, and leave the conflicts simmering indefinitely.
If we could skip to that part it'd be fine but I imagine there'd be a big war first. And I imagine every other interested party in the region - Israel, Russia, Iran, Turkey, the Gulf States, the US, probably France too - would be involved in some way.
Let's bomb Russia!

mongers

I've been out to make a pot of tea; any more cities fallen in the interim?  :bowler:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

The Brain

Banzai! I made a quick visit to the jungle. Has the Divine Emperor conquered New York yet?

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: citizen k on June 12, 2014, 12:28:35 PM

't would be nice if all those hardline muslim nutcases would only use technologies that were available to that guy they call prophet. Less hypocrite than leaning on western technology.

garbon

Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on June 12, 2014, 02:18:55 PM

't would be nice if all those hardline muslim nutcases would only use technologies that were available to that guy they call prophet. Less hypocrite than leaning on western technology.

Did the Muslim world have no advances on their own since Muhammad? :huh:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Brain

Quote from: garbon on June 12, 2014, 02:20:46 PM
Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on June 12, 2014, 02:18:55 PM

Did the Muslim world have no advances on their own since Muhammad? :huh:

Buggery was around already in ancient Greece.

mongers

Another unconfirmed report of Iranians crossing the border; Revolutionary Guards heading for Baghdad ?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"