News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

2014 World Cup

Started by Maladict, June 03, 2014, 04:58:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on July 14, 2014, 12:53:56 AM
I still don't get it, personally.

Me neither, it's just soccer.

Be interesting to see the final TV ratings in the US.  My guess is they dropped like a rock once the US fell out.

USA USA U OH LOOK RAY DONOVAN SEASON 2 IS ON

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 14, 2014, 08:30:43 AM
LOOK RAY DONOVAN SEASON 2 IS ON

I want to like that show more than I do. :(
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

HVC

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 14, 2014, 08:30:43 AM
Quote from: derspiess on July 14, 2014, 12:53:56 AM
I still don't get it, personally.

Me neither, it's just soccer.
for a guy who still have nightmares about his team moving you'd think you'd understand sports fans who are a tad emotionally connected to their teams :D
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

CountDeMoney

Syt

Quote from: Delirium on July 14, 2014, 08:09:04 AM
Good for Germany, clearly the best team in the competition and providing the most creative football as well, so world football is the better for it assuming that people will do what they did with Spain and spend the next few years emulating German élan.

I think one of the key factors was that Germany was indeed the best team - many very good to brilliant players, but none to outshine them all and take away from the group as a whole.

An old German football saying from Sepp Herberger, coach of the 1954 team, is, "11 Freunde müsst Ihr sein!" ("You must be 11 friends/buddies!"). This team has taken it to the next level by being 23 friends.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

frunk

Quote from: Valmy on July 14, 2014, 08:27:03 AM
Quote from: Maladict on July 14, 2014, 03:21:56 AM

congrats frunk :cheers:

Texans know Football.  Both kinds :cheers:

psst, I'm the non-Texan with funk in their nick.

Valmy

This is what you get for not posting more  :mad: :blush:
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Syt

Quote from: garbon on July 14, 2014, 07:41:14 AM
There is a lot of Rihanna in that photo spread!

I understand she's been an avid follower/commentator of the tournament on twitter.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Valmy

Quote from: Maladict on July 14, 2014, 06:46:49 AM
Rihanna  :x

Seriously?  Elbows too pointy or something?

frunk

Quote from: Valmy on July 14, 2014, 08:45:17 AM

If that's the worst you can throw at me... (doesn't post for 3 months)

FunkMonk

And people used to confuse me with frunk.  :lol:
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

crazy canuck

Quote from: sbr on July 13, 2014, 05:10:14 PM
Quote from: Liep on July 13, 2014, 04:59:44 PM
Favourite team != national team.

Well, that's true.  I care a lot more about the St Louis Cardinals and Portland Trail Blazers then any of the US National Teams.  Maybe it is because the national teams only do stuff every 4 years were I am following and caring about the others every year.

Yep, a lot of a nation's identity is tied up in their national sport teams.  Everywhere really except the US.

I think it has a lot to do with the fact that very few countries play the sport that is biggest in the US - US style football.  If everyone in the world played US style football and there was a world cup of football held every four years and the US lost in the final you would be crying like a newborn.

As for the final, I enjoyed it.  Despite the lack of scoring there were still a number of chances and both teams were trying to push forward.  Unlike the snooze fest that was the Dutch team sitting back and trying not to lose in their semi final.

Syt

Definitely one of the better finals in recent memory.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Valmy

Quote from: frunk on July 14, 2014, 08:54:20 AM

If that's the worst you can throw at me... (doesn't post for 3 months)

I have no reason to insult you intentionally....that I can remember.