News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

2014 World Cup

Started by Maladict, June 03, 2014, 04:58:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duque de Bragança

Müller sympathetic? Arguing for a mere corner at 4-0, arguing at 6-0 again for no reason. Diving and flopping in the first game and then boasting of it on German TV " I was hit and then can't remember what happened". Really?

Syt

Sounds like a dedicated professional to me.

You want unsympathetic, take Ballack whose number of fouls increased every time his team was behind at the end of the game. Or Juan "Oh, did I hit him hard?" Zúñiga. Or Luis "I fell onto his shoulder with my mouth" Suárez.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Syt

If you want questionable remarks from players, you should pick Schweinsteiger, who thanked Uli Hoeneß who was watching from prison for his years of support. (Though on a pure sports level he was right to do so, I think.) :P
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

derspiess

All you guys trying to figure out why Argies were crying at the end-- They're Latinos,  FFS. They don't do a whole lot to balance their emotions. Their genetic stock might have been diluted somewhat by influxes of British, German and Irish immigrants,  but they remain a very passionate Latin culture.

I mean, we.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Syt

I see no problem there. Football is one of the few moments where society finds it acceptable for men to cry in public.
—Stephen Jay Gould

derspiess

I still don't get it, personally.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Admiral Yi

I wonder if neckbeards are going to become popular in Germany now.

Duque de Bragança

Just because he comes from a long and proud tradition does not excuse him. You forgot Klinsmann which carries on, even as a coach.
Also, Suarez nor Zúñiga were never described as sympathetic like you did for Müller.
As for the dedicated cheater professional excuse, I guess by now you and everybody recognizes that everybody does it. Of course, some are better at it (as in Blatter/FIFA supported), ever since Bernd Hölzenbein showed the way back then.
As for Schweinsteiger, it's peanuts. He's got already a tough surname to bear  :P

Monoriu

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on July 14, 2014, 12:59:01 AM

As for Schweinsteiger, it's peanuts. He's got already a tough surname to bear  :P

Yeah, even the Chinese translation of his name is 6 characters.  Apparently the Chinese TV programme hosts decided that it is too clumsy to pronounce, so they all call him "little pig".   

Viking

Congrats to frunk and Maladict both of who beat me on the tie breaker in the pool.

if I only I hadn't fucked up and not picked in the Brazil Chile game I'd be gloating right now.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

dps

Quote from: Viking on July 14, 2014, 01:13:22 AM
Congrats to frunk and Maladict both of who beat me on the tie breaker in the pool.

if I only I hadn't fucked up and not picked in the Brazil Chile game I'd be gloating right now.

You would have also joined me as the only person in the pool to call all the matches right in the knockout stages.

Maladict

congrats frunk :cheers:

Place    Player    Score    Correct    Wrong    % Correct    Tie Breaker Difference
1   frunk    41    41    23    64.06%    14
2   Maladict    41    41    23    64.06%    38
3   Viking    41    41    23    64.06%    91
4   dps    39    39    25    60.94%    51
5   Liep    39    39    25    60.94%    79
6   Duque de Bragança    39    39    25    60.94%    175
7   Dorsey4Heisman    38    38    26    59.38%    22
8   Josephus    36    36    28    56.25%    24
9   Norgy    36    36    28    56.25%    133
10   Agelastus    34    34    30    53.13%    40
11   Pedrito    33    33    31    51.56%    138
12   Tamas    33    33    31    51.56%    152
13   funkmonk    31    31    33    48.44%    108
14   Syt    29    29    35    45.31%    85
15   josquius    21    21    43    32.81%    131
16   celedhring    0    0    64    0.00%    175

Norgy

Maladict

So how did Nate Silver do compared to us?

Josquius

No way did I get 43 wrong. I picked the first bunch then never logged in again :p
██████
██████
██████