And we're back!

Main Menu

2014 World Cup

Started by Maladict, June 03, 2014, 04:58:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Viking

Quote from: Valmy on July 14, 2014, 12:33:04 PM
Quote from: Viking on July 14, 2014, 12:28:45 PM
but it seems when you win the magazines jump on the chance to put up pictures of hott chicks in skimpy outfits.

#1: If these women are models or actresses and this is helping their careers, or they want this kind of exposure for the lulz, then good for them.

#2: This is actually a level the American Sports media has not stooped.  We never see Lebron James' wife in skimpy outfits everytime he is in the finals.  We barely even get Giselle sightings when the Patriots are doing well.  Weird.

This WAG thing happens when there are World Cup style tournaments. Basically the players are in a training camp for weeks before and for weeks during and what to do with the WAGs matter. Most coaches have some sort of idea as to how to regulate the contact. Some go full celibacy, some have "family days" some let them stay at or near the team hotel. So what often happens is that the travelling press end up in or near the same hotels the WAGs stay at. Typically on team trips like this the players stay 2 to a room, usually with team regulars staying with the same partner each time the team travels.

So, bored wives and girlfriends, often with their own careers in modeling or stuff like that, are left in the hotel bar or at the hotel pool with the press.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

alfred russel

Quote from: Valmy on July 14, 2014, 12:37:17 PM

Oh for Godsake.  Dude you are an adventure mountain climber.

I was trying to be funny.  :(
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

alfred russel

Quote from: Valmy on July 14, 2014, 12:36:35 PM
There is just no way your grew up in Ukraine.  I know their soccer players score far more off the field than on it.

So among the 20 something guys on the team, they get laid maybe a dozen times a month? Scoring in soccer just isn't all that prolific... :P
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Viking on July 14, 2014, 12:28:45 PM
I know with england the WAGs get the blame when the team fucks up (excuse #756),

That's because they never got over that whole Yoko Ono thing.

derspiess

Quote from: Ed Anger on July 14, 2014, 12:26:07 PM
I enjoyed the footage of the Buenos Aries riot.  :)

Just kids getting rid of their wiggles.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

#2: This is actually a level the American Sports media has not stooped.  We never see Lebron James' wife in skimpy outfits everytime he is in the finals.  We barely even get Giselle sightings when the Patriots are doing well.  Weird.

To clarify, they were not at the game wearing skimpy outfits.  I think most of them were wearing jerseys & jeans or whatever.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Syt

I was surprised that Schweinsteiger is still together with his girlfriend. They've been an item since 2007 - considering his age (29) and his celebrity status that's pretty much an eternity.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

Quote from: derspiess on July 14, 2014, 12:52:26 PM

To clarify, they were not at the game wearing skimpy outfits.  I think most of them were wearing jerseys & jeans or whatever.

Yeah, it was more of a family outing (courtesy DFB from what I understand). Boateng, Klose and Podolski even brought their kids along.

—Stephen Jay Gould

crazy canuck

I was impressed with Podolski's reaction to the win.  He was just as happy (maybe more) than the starters.  I think it says a lot for the point that Germany was a team first.  Granted a team of great players.  But a team.

And I was also impressed by Lahm waiting until he got down to where his team was before he hoised the cup.  That was pure class.

Valmy

Quote from: Syt on July 14, 2014, 01:04:10 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on July 14, 2014, 12:21:25 PM
Do Draxler's Syt.

*pic of sorta douche looking dude with super hot woman*

She is amazing no doubt. :thumbsup:
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Man how cool would it be for your Dad to win the World Cup?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Syt

Quote from: crazy canuck on July 14, 2014, 01:09:40 PM
I was impressed with Podolski's reaction to the win.  He was just as happy (maybe more) than the starters.

He was that way throughout the tournament. And often the final speech before the match will be given by a bench player (not 100% if this is now tradition).
—Stephen Jay Gould

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Admiral Yi