News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

2014 World Cup

Started by Maladict, June 03, 2014, 04:58:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grey Fox

After such an exiting group phase, this knockout stage has brought back the boring world cup :bleeding:
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Monoriu

Quote from: Grey Fox on July 04, 2014, 08:33:00 PM
After such an exiting group phase, this knockout stage has brought back the boring world cup :bleeding:

1990 was really quite boring.  This one is fine.

DGuller

WTF was up with the referee in the Brazil match?  Did he bet his life savings on when the first yellow card would come out?

Apart from that, I was a little surprised that soccer medics don't use a backboard.  It was clear that Neymar's back was injured, possibly seriously.  I winced when they were just rolling him into that box like a rag doll.

Syt

Quote from: dps on July 04, 2014, 07:04:50 PM
Quote from: Liep on July 04, 2014, 06:11:06 PM
Looks like Neymar isn't going to be ready for the semis.

They're now saying he has a fractured vertebrae and will be out of the rest of the Cup.

:pinch:

I guess that increases Germany's chances of advancing, though. And if Brazil loses in the semis, they can always say that it was only because of Neymar not being there.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

dps

Quote from: Grey Fox on July 04, 2014, 08:33:00 PM

In group play, it seemed like everyone was actually trying to win, instead of the stereotype of the strong teams just playing for a draw against each other and then beating up on the weak sides.  But now in the knockout stages, they seem to be trying to get to penalties.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: dps on July 04, 2014, 11:52:49 PM
In group play, it seemed like everyone was actually trying to win, instead of the stereotype of the strong teams just playing for a draw against each other and then beating up on the weak sides.  But now in the knockout stages, they seem to be trying to get to penalties.

I have a different read.  I think the both teams have been playing cautiously in their first halves: the favorites because they think they can win any game, except one where they dig themselves a 2-0 hole, and the underdogs because they think they can win a compressed, one half game more easily than if they go end to end for 90 minutes.

Zanza

The Larch

Liep

Quote from: The Larch on July 05, 2014, 06:15:43 AM
Important stuff, who folds his arms better in the player presentations?

http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_spot/2014/07/03/world_cup_player_introductions_a_deep_analysis_of_how_soccer_players_fold.html

:lol:

I was wondering from day 1 why they made the players do that, it looks ridiculous. The only one not looking stupid might be the winner, so I guess slate is on to something here.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

The Larch

Quote from: Liep on July 05, 2014, 06:21:49 AM

http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_spot/2014/07/03/world_cup_player_introductions_a_deep_analysis_of_how_soccer_players_fold.html

I was wondering from day 1 why they made the players do that, it looks ridiculous. The only one not looking stupid might be the winner, so I guess slate is on to something here.

It can look cool, but the potential for ridiculousness is very high.  :lol:

Liep

Quote from: DGuller on July 04, 2014, 10:36:15 PM
Apart from that, I was a little surprised that soccer medics don't use a backboard.  It was clear that Neymar's back was injured, possibly seriously.  I winced when they were just rolling him into that box like a rag doll.

At least they stopped running with him when he almost fell off and screamed out in pain from bouncing all over in the stretcher.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Monoriu

Tonight is the night.  The World Cup belongs to the Europeans and South Americans. 

sbr

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 05, 2014, 01:07:28 AM
Quote from: dps on July 04, 2014, 11:52:49 PM

I have a different read.  I think the both teams have been playing cautiously in their first halves: the favorites because they think they can win any game, except one where they dig themselves a 2-0 hole, and the underdogs because they think they can win a compressed, one half game more easily than if they go end to end for 90 minutes.

I heard one of the British analysts on ESPN radio say that the group round is about winning to advance.  The knockout round is about not losing.

It makes sense to me.  I don't know enough to know whether it is true or not.

FunkMonk

Quote from: The Larch on July 05, 2014, 06:23:00 AM
Quote from: Liep on July 05, 2014, 06:21:49 AM

It can look cool, but the potential for ridiculousness is very high.  :lol:

Benoit Assou-Ekotto always struck me as a really cool guy who plays professional soccer just for the fun of it. His picture just confirms that.  :lol:

Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Josephus

My day today.

Watch the Argentina game at my brother's house at noon.

Take train to downtown Toronto to watch 4pm Holland game.

Take streetcar to BMO field to watch Bradley return for Toronto FC game at 7 pm.

Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011