News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

2014 World Cup

Started by Maladict, June 03, 2014, 04:58:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Justicia! :punk:

Campbell played like a possessed man in OT I thought.

alfred russel

Quote from: Monoriu on June 29, 2014, 06:09:12 PM
The US and Mexico often get into the knockout stage.  But Costa Rica.  That's just  :cry:

Somewhere in Costa Rica, a child was just about to put aside the soccer ball and focus on his studies. "What is the point of trying to be good at soccer, when I come from a small country that can not compete with the world powers?" he thought. But then he saw this game, and realizes that Costa Rica can compete, and he may yet have a future in the sport. He will never open a math book again.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Eddie Teach

And after he washes out of professional soccer, he becomes an enforcer for a drug cartel. He coulda been a contender.  :cry:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Monoriu

Actually, Mexico is a bigger threat to the status quo than Costa Rica.  So I guess this isn't too bad. 

Now let's get rid of the Afircan teams.

alfred russel

Quote from: Monoriu on June 29, 2014, 06:17:54 PM
Actually, Mexico is a bigger threat to the status quo than Costa Rica.  So I guess this isn't too bad. 

Now let's get rid of the Afircan teams.

I'd love to see an african team make a run, however, the african teams are playing Germany and France, and Germany and France will play each other in the quarterfinals if they both win. I'd sort of like to see that matchup.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)

Monoriu

I'm still hoping for a Brazil - Argentina final.  That hope is still alive.  That's the ultimate victory for the status quo. 

celedhring

Quote from: Norgy on June 29, 2014, 06:06:43 PM
Love it. Bye, bye, Greece! You won't be missed.

Aye, after an unfortunate group phase the WC has finally been De-Greece'd, time to celebrate.

alfred russel

Quote from: Monoriu on June 29, 2014, 06:25:53 PM
I'm still hoping for a Brazil - Argentina final.  That hope is still alive.  That's the ultimate victory for the status quo.

Argentina is the only previous winner in the bracket feeding one of the two final spots. You need to worry about that one. Maybe cheer for the US against Belgium, because otherwise the Argentinians will face stiffer competition?  :)

Norgy

The US and Mexico often get into the knockout stage.  But Costa Rica.  That's just  :cry:

And the Greeks tend to fight for honours every time?

Monoriu

Quote from: Norgy on June 29, 2014, 06:29:45 PM

Greece is in Europe.  The Europeans have a good shot every time :contract:

Norgy

Quote from: Monoriu on June 29, 2014, 06:25:53 PM

Meh. Argentina's been little else than the genius of Lionel Messi. They do have other players, but like the Dutch, rely heavily on the sheer class of a very select few forwards. Might be the most boring final ever, considering Brazil's less than impressive displays.
The Brazilian team as a whole just isn't that superb.

When I look back at the first World Cup I can say I followed, which was Spain 1982, the Brazil side of today looks bleak in comparision to that team they fielded in 1982. It had everything, until they met Italy.

alfred russel

Quote from: Norgy on June 29, 2014, 06:34:36 PM

Meh. Argentina's been little else than the genius of Lionel Messi. They do have other players, but like the Dutch, rely heavily on the sheer class of a very select few forwards. Might be the most boring final ever, considering Brazil's less than impressive displays.

When I look back at the first World Cup I can say I followed, which was Spain 1982, the Brazil side of today looks bleak in comparision to that team they fielded in 1982. It had everything, until they met Italy.

That may be, however, Messi is on the pitch. Also, a Brazil - Argentina World Cup final in Rio.

It may not be the two most glamorous sides either country has fielded, but I'd tune in.

Norgy

Quote from: Monoriu on June 29, 2014, 06:31:37 PM
Quote from: Norgy on June 29, 2014, 06:29:45 PM

Greece is in Europe.  The Europeans have a good shot every time :contract:

When the WC is in Europe, maybe. Outside of Europe, very few teams have won.
In 1930, Uruguay beats Argentina. 1950, Uruguay beats Brazil. 1962, Brazil beats a surprise Czechoslovak side in Chile. 1970 Brazil thrashes Italy 4-1. 1978 Argentina buys a WC and beats a Cruyff-less Dutch side. 1986 Argentina beats West Germany in a WC they well and truly deserved to win. 1994 Brazil beats Italy in the US. 2002 Brazil beats Germany 2-0 in the first Asian WC. 2010 Spain beats the Netherlands in the first African WC.

So, in general, European teams never win outside of Europe. And Africa.

Norgy

Quote from: alfred russel on June 29, 2014, 06:41:39 PM
Quote from: Norgy on June 29, 2014, 06:34:36 PM

I would too, obviously. That said, I have some hope for Colombia. The team looks strong, and James Rodriguez is a very exciting player.  :pirate

That may be, however, Messi is on the pitch. Also, a Brazil - Argentina World Cup final in Rio.

It may not be the two most glamorous sides either country has fielded, but I'd tune in.

Monoriu

Quote from: Norgy on June 29, 2014, 06:42:36 PM

So, in general, European teams never win outside of Europe. And Africa.

I'd like to keep it that way as well.  But a European team winning a WC in S. America is far less disastrous than the US or Costa Rica winning it.