News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What do you wish you'd studied?

Started by Sheilbh, June 02, 2014, 08:17:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

Or are you perfectly happy with what you did at uni?

Of the courses I could do I wish I'd gone for history instead of English. More generally, like everyone, I wish I'd worked harder at A-level French :blush:

I also wish I'd been clever enough to do philosophy and physics as I met a few people who were doing that and it always sounded fascinating but way, way beyond me.
Let's bomb Russia!

Ideologue

Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Razgovory

Law.  I thought it was suppose to be hard, but looking around here, I'm thinking it's not as hard as I thought.  I mean, even Grumbler is an expert on law, and he's never studied it!
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Ideologue

Do you have a bachelor's degree?  Then you can study law.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Josquius

History.
Doing something useful got me nothing so I might as well have studied something useless but easy and fun.
██████
██████
██████

garbon

I also wish I had taken more history classes.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Sheilbh

I think history's a bit like English, it's pretty easy to get a 2.1 (though I know some people who didn't manage that) but tough to get a first.

I remember one tutor of mine who said the highest mark he'd ever given for an essay was an 85 (a first is 70) and it got published in a very respectable journal.
Let's bomb Russia!

Jacob

If I had taken a few business courses I'd probably have gotten into the whole entrepreneur thing earlier, which probably would have been good. A good stats course wouldn't have been amiss either. But mostly I'm content with what I studied, primarily fine arts and humanities of various sorts.

Monoriu

Made no difference in the civil service.

mongers

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Sheilbh on June 02, 2014, 08:17:24 PM
Or are you perfectly happy with what you did at uni?

I loved Political Science, particularly IR Theory, I just wish I kept going with it to the PhD level.  Alas, I had too much of a functional death wish through most of the 1990s to maintain the requisite academic focus.

Never had any aptitude or even interest in the sciences, except perhaps Geology or Meteorology.  AND WE HAVE AN OCCLUDED FRONT *HERE* BRINGING CLOUDS AND A CHANCE FOR RAIN

Had to do it all over again though, would've gone the English route or History and been a much more unproductive member of society.

Ideologue

Oh, geology, I forgot about that one.  Math's not too hard and you work for oil, which means both money and that your work benefits society as a whole (until we all die).
Kinemalogue

Josquius

Quote from: Sheilbh on June 02, 2014, 08:46:41 PM
I think history's a bit like English, it's pretty easy to get a 2.1 (though I know some people who didn't manage that) but tough to get a first.

I remember one tutor of mine who said the highest mark he'd ever given for an essay was an 85 (a first is 70) and it got published in a very respectable journal.
Alas a 2.1 is the only thing that matters in the uk. No matter whether it is in quantum physics or coronation street
██████
██████
██████