News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What do you wish you'd studied?

Started by Sheilbh, June 02, 2014, 08:17:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

Quote from: Ideologue on June 02, 2014, 10:09:30 PM
Oh, geology, I forgot about that one.  Math's not too hard and you work for oil, which means both money and that your work benefits society as a whole (until we all die).
I guess I don't wish that I had majored in Geology, but I took a Geology elective and loved it, and I would have liked to have taken more Geology courses.

I probably should have majored in Computer Science... I took a bunch of CS courses but stupidly didn't take the 2 more I needed to have at least minored in it.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Pedrito

b / h = h / b+h

27 Zoupa Points, redeemable at the nearest liquor store! :woot:

Grey Fox

I did not go to University. I should have continued in that path & do an electrical engineer degree.

or I should have done a Plumbing course.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

alfred russel

Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 02, 2014, 10:02:54 PM

Parts of this thread read like an updated version of Dr. Heidegger's Experiment.

I might do accounting again, but I might study something to get into oil and gas (like geology) or be an actuary (basically bump my math minor into a major).
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Barrister

Quote from: Caliga on June 03, 2014, 06:50:41 AM
Oh, geology, I forgot about that one.  Math's not too hard and you work for oil, which means both money and that your work benefits society as a whole (until we all die).
I guess I don't wish that I had majored in Geology, but I took a Geology elective and loved it, and I would have liked to have taken more Geology courses.

I probably should have majored in Computer Science... I took a bunch of CS courses but stupidly didn't take the 2 more I needed to have at least minored in it.

I always wanted to go to law school, but I didn't really know what I wanted to do for an undergrad.  I took an elective in geology and thought "this looks interesting - I'll study it some more".

It got much, much, much tougher.   :ph34r:

I wish I'd studied history instead for an undergrad.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

MadImmortalMan

It's not too bad. If I could go back to 1993 and tell my former self what to do, the second thing I would tell me is to go into oil exploration. The first thing would be how to kill that one bitch without anyone finding out.   :P
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Syt

If I was 18 years now, I'd be as stumped as to what to study as I was 20 years ago. Public administration didn't turn out well. I had an interest in macro-economics, but it was too maths heavy, and even though I was pretty good at maths that turned me off. I'm interested in history, but I've come to the realization that this is something I rather consume than actively contribute to.

Literature/German literature didn't pan out too well. I think comparative literature could have been interesting, but it highly recommends reading in three languages.

I would probably go for an MBA for the utility value in the current job market, but other than that I can't really think of anything. Which is funny, because my grades were good enough that I could have picked almost anything and gotten in right away.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

KRonn

Since I started working in IT support I worked towards a degree in computer science. It's been ok and I've done well enough with this field, starting in opertations then in programming, and doing IT support now.
Now I wish I'd done more with history, maybe literature and take some drama classes to get into something more creative.

Brazen

Brazen

I studied IT. I wish I'd done something less vocational like archaeology, linguistics, or the philosophy of science. After all, this was an era when is you had a degree in any subject you could walk into a post-grad IT training scheme.

The Brain

I studied STEM. Of course I'm happy.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

merithyn

Computer Science

I got a degree in History in 1995. Now, in 2014, I'm working on a second one in Computer Science. Just imagine how much money I'd have made between then and now if I'd done that first...
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Valmy

Quote from: merithyn on June 03, 2014, 01:12:47 PM
Computer Science

I got a degree in History in 1995. Now, in 2014, I'm working on a second one in Computer Science. Just imagine how much money I'd have made between then and now if I'd done that first...

Tell me about it.  But if I had had that career and all that money I would never have ended up with my wife and lovely kids so, you know, it worked out somehow.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."