And we're back!

Main Menu

Negotiating With The Taliban.

Started by mongers, May 31, 2014, 06:15:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: Jacob on June 11, 2014, 03:38:19 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on June 11, 2014, 02:15:20 PM
I would like to know how is the President supposed to please the people who bitch that he hasn't done everything possible to bring back Bergdahl and then once the Bergdahl has been brought back bitch again.  What do Conservatives want the President to do?

Not be the president.

:)
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

derspiess

Quote from: Razgovory on June 11, 2014, 02:35:40 PM
No, Seriously what is the President suppose to do?

When you have things like this
Quote"The mission to bring our missing soldiers home is one that will never end. It's important that we make every effort to bring this captured soldier home to his family."
From Rep. James Inhofe

It seems to be a damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Ask him.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Razgovory

He's not here, so I ask you.  Can you give me answer?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

derspiess

Quote from: Razgovory on June 11, 2014, 04:15:41 PM

No.  I can probably dig up his phone number or email address for you, though.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

Quote from: Sheilbh on June 11, 2014, 04:13:39 PM
Again I'm not entirely sure how this man got into the army:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/bergdahls-writings-reveal-a-fragile-young-man/2014/06/11/fb9349fe-f165-11e3-bf76-447a5df6411f_story.html?Post+generic=%3Ftid%3Dsm_twitter_washingtonpost
:mellow:

The Army needed recruits.  Not sure if the psychological evaluation I got in ROTC was representative, but it seems like it would be easy to give them the answers they're looking for.  I guess my question is how he ended up in a line unit, an Airborne one at that. 

Razgovory

Quote from: derspiess on June 11, 2014, 04:59:04 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on June 11, 2014, 04:15:41 PM

No.  I can probably dig up his phone number or email address for you, though.

You don't actually know what Conservatives want from the President?  I thought you had pretty good idea, you seem conservative enough.  From where I'm sitting everything he does is wrong, even if it was the right thing to do before he did it.  In the rare case he does something you can't find fault with he doesn't actually deserve credit.  When Osama Bin Laden was killed it wasn't the President who deserved the credit but the solider who executed the mission.  Presumably they would have deserved blame for the fuck up had the mission failed, but for some strange reason I suspect that the President would have gotten the blame instead.  Or when he does what they want to do, the facts on the ground are ignored.  For instance on the about illegal immigration on the border;  the number of border guards has increased since Obama has become President and illegal immigration, illegal immigration has slowed and deportations have increased.  You would think the opposite by reading what conservatives say.

So I say again, what can Obama do to please conservatives?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

derspiess

I can't speak for all conservatives, Ray. And your immigration claim is pretty funny in light of the recent crisis.

Razgovory

See, I'm not entirely in tune with all the "crises", that Conservative fret about.  Especially the ones that exist mostly in their own minds.  I get the impression that you don't want to answer the question because it would not reflect well on conservatives.  That Jake's answer is essentially the correct one.  Garbon seemed to approve of it.  Let's assume for a moment that Jake is correct and the primary problem conservative have with Obama is that he's president.  This is backed up by statements by high ranking members of the Republican party, that the primary goal for Republicans is to make sure Obama would be a one term president, something they failed at doing. If our conservative friends put attacking the President first then of course other factors such as consistency or truth must be of secondary importance.  So if attacking Obama is takes precedence over actual facts why should their attacks be considered at all?  I mean, we don't worry about what the North Koreans say about the US.  They hate the US even when the US gives them food aid.  It's just what they do.

dps

Quote from: Razgovory on June 11, 2014, 07:50:59 PM
If our conservative friends put attacking the President first then of course other factors such as consistency or truth must be of secondary importance. 

Only if you believe that the ends justify the means.

And believing that the ends justify the means isn't confined to any particular part of the political spectrum.

derspiess

Nice rambling post, Raz. Seems like you're more worked up over this than the evil GOP.

Berkut

Actually that was a pretty nice post, and not rambling at all. I think he nailed you to the wall.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Admiral Yi

As I believe Speesh pointed out earlier, partisan inconsistency is hardly a GOP monopoly.

Which is not to say I'm conceding inconsistency on Berghahl.

Razgovory

Quote from: dps on June 11, 2014, 07:59:17 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on June 11, 2014, 07:50:59 PM
If our conservative friends put attacking the President first then of course other factors such as consistency or truth must be of secondary importance. 

Only if you believe that the ends justify the means.

And believing that the ends justify the means isn't confined to any particular part of the political spectrum.

If one thing must be first, then other things must be after first.  That's pretty basic math.

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 11, 2014, 08:29:17 PM
As I believe Speesh pointed out earlier, partisan inconsistency is hardly a GOP monopoly.

Which is not to say I'm conceding inconsistency on Berghahl.

I will not deny that there are Democrats who take the same tact.  However they do not dominate the party and efforts to do so were anemic.  For instance back in 2006 Democrats did dominate the congress, and many wanted to end the war.  And while it was discussed they did not cut all funding to the military to force the President's hand.  Compare this to the government shutdown last year.