crazy canuck

Quote from: Valmy on June 11, 2014, 01:09:22 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on June 11, 2014, 12:55:24 PM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on June 10, 2014, 11:41:25 PM
Quote from: derspiess on June 10, 2014, 11:33:02 PM
How far?

When slavery was commonplace in Europe.

Why would his ancestors be the owners?

Because he has millions of ancestors from that era.  It would unbelievably unlikely to not be descended from both the slaves and the masters.

But you will never know their names and how you are descended from them so it is rather more theoretical.

I see you corrected yourself further on by saying they would be both slaves and owners.  Originally I read your posts as being only owners. 

Valmy

Quote from: crazy canuck on June 11, 2014, 01:12:06 PM
I see you corrected yourself further on by saying they would be both slaves and owners.  Originally I read your posts as being only owners. 

I think you are confusing me with Peter Wiggins here.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

crazy canuck

Quote from: Valmy on June 11, 2014, 01:13:56 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on June 11, 2014, 01:12:06 PM

I think you are confusing me with Peter Wiggins here.

Yes I am.

grumbler

Quote from: Valmy on June 10, 2014, 11:14:24 PM
Probably right but it is rather amusing isn't it?  One of our most famous generals never officially part of the US Army.  Though he had regular units under his command.  Just weird how they did things back then.

Jackson was part of the US Army from 1846-1851.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Eddie Teach

And confusing my implications with his own unwarranted assumptions. I did not correct myself.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

crazy canuck

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on June 11, 2014, 01:29:28 PM
And confusing my implications with his own unwarranted assumptions. I did not correct myself.

So you say his ancestors would only be owners and none would be slaves?

Valmy

Quote from: grumbler on June 11, 2014, 01:28:15 PM
Quote from: Valmy on June 10, 2014, 11:14:24 PM
Probably right but it is rather amusing isn't it?  One of our most famous generals never officially part of the US Army.  Though he had regular units under his command.  Just weird how they did things back then.

Jackson was part of the US Army from 1846-1851.

:blurgh:

:lol: You're just being mean now.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

derspiess

Valmy requires 8 years of service before he recognizes someone as an American officer.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Eddie Teach

Quote from: crazy canuck on June 11, 2014, 01:31:12 PM
So you say his ancestors would only be owners and none would be slaves?

I don't say that now and have not said that in the past.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on June 11, 2014, 01:56:37 PM
Valmy requires 8 years of service before he recognizes someone as an American officer.

And fighting some Mexicans doesn't count either.  I demand real service.

Razgovory

I would like to know how is the President supposed to please the people who bitch that he hasn't done everything possible to bring back Bergdahl and then once the Bergdahl has been brought back bitch again.  What do Conservatives want the President to do?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

derspiess

Quote from: Razgovory on June 11, 2014, 02:15:20 PM
I would like to know how is the President supposed to please the people who bitch that he hasn't done everything possible to bring back Bergdahl and then once the Bergdahl has been brought back bitch again. 

Seriously.  Bunch of jerks :angry:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Razgovory

No, Seriously what is the President suppose to do?

When you have things like this
Quote"The mission to bring our missing soldiers home is one that will never end. It's important that we make every effort to bring this captured soldier home to his family."
From Rep. James Inhofe

It seems to be a damned if you do, damned if you don't.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

citizen k

Quote from: Valmy on June 11, 2014, 02:10:20 PM
And fighting some Mexicans doesn't count either.

That would be American on American violence.  ;)

Jacob

Quote from: Razgovory on June 11, 2014, 02:15:20 PM
I would like to know how is the President supposed to please the people who bitch that he hasn't done everything possible to bring back Bergdahl and then once the Bergdahl has been brought back bitch again.  What do Conservatives want the President to do?

Not be the president.