News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Negotiating With The Taliban.

Started by mongers, May 31, 2014, 06:15:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

Meanwhile, Rand Paul brings further gravitas to the criticism by suggesting that they should have traded Five Democrats instead of the five Taliban guys: http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2014/06/06/rand-paul-lets-trade-5-democrats-not-5-taliban/

The Minsky Moment

Why would the Taliban want 5 Democrats?  That doesn't make sense on any level.

Oh wait, Rand Paul, got it.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

CountDeMoney

Heh, the central Europeans think they're insecure now, just wait until President Paul's in charge. 

So, do you think Putin will execute the entire Polish officer corps in an even bigger forest this time around, just to beat Stalin's record?

Valmy

Quote from: citizen k on June 10, 2014, 05:17:57 PM
Tennessee is'nt in America?

An American Officer means in the regular army.  Anyway it was the wrong Jackson :blush:

Which was a weird mistake for me to make since I just made a Stonewall joke a few posts before.  I guess I never thought of Stonewall as anything but a Confederate Officer.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 10, 2014, 06:10:50 PM
Quote from: derspiess on June 10, 2014, 04:50:47 PM

Jackson was an American officer.

Maybe for the America you were rooting for, but it was the wrong one, secessionist rat fuck.

Not gonna take that troll bait, Mr. 1861 Baltimore Riots.  I'm more of a Northern man than you are.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on June 10, 2014, 07:33:28 PM
Why would the Taliban want 5 Democrats?  That doesn't make sense on any level.

Fair point.  Would probably be a war crime of some sort.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

Quote from: Valmy on June 10, 2014, 10:54:05 PM
An American Officer means in the regular army.  Anyway it was the wrong Jackson :blush:

Not sure it's that open & shut.

QuoteWhich was a weird mistake for me to make since I just made a Stonewall joke a few posts before.  I guess I never thought of Stonewall as anything but a Confederate Officer.

Confederate States of America.  The Confederates considered themselves as American as you or I.  Remember, some of them called the start of the Civil War the "Second American Revolution".

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on June 10, 2014, 10:59:33 PM
Not gonna take that troll bait, Mr. 1861 Baltimore Riots.  I'm more of a Northern man than you are.

Nigga, please.  None of my people landed on these shores prior to 1870.  Shit was over by then.

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on June 10, 2014, 11:02:43 PM
Confederate States of America.  The Confederates considered themselves as American as you or I.

The Confederate States of America was the official name but I have never ever heard them ever refer to it as 'America' but the 'Confederacy' or the 'Southern Confederacy' when discussing it.  Likewise they never would have used the term 'the American Army' to describe their military.

QuoteRemember, some of them called the start of the Civil War the "Second American Revolution".

Sure, they made some parallels.  But one of the key points of the Confederacy was rejecting that old nationalism and embracing your home state and a southern nationalism.

QuoteNot sure it is that open & shut

At the time the Regulars would have disagreed :P

Probably right but it is rather amusing isn't it?  One of our most famous generals never officially part of the US Army.  Though he had regular units under his command.  Just weird how they did things back then.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 10, 2014, 11:09:14 PM
Quote from: derspiess on June 10, 2014, 10:59:33 PM

Nigga, please.  None of my people landed on these shores prior to 1870.  Shit was over by then.

So none of them died to help preserve The Union and free the slaves.  Figures :rolleyes:

All mine were here by around 1810.  Even the Krauts.

Valmy

There is nothing so depressing than looking at the 1850 and 1860 Slave Schedules and seeing all the anonymous poor bastards your ancestors used to own.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Valmy on June 10, 2014, 11:18:03 PM
There is nothing so depressing than looking at the 1850 and 1860 Slave Schedules and seeing all the anonymous poor bastards your ancestors used to own.

Lulz, derfetus gets stuck with the reparations bill, and I don't.  :yeah:

derspiess

Quote from: Valmy on June 10, 2014, 11:14:24 PM
Probably right but it is rather amusing isn't it?  One of our most famous generals never officially part of the US Army.  Though he had regular units under his command.  Just weird how they did things back then.

Yeah, kind of a distinction without a difference, though.  And you can call the Confederates the bad guys, on the wrong side, whatever-- and you'd be right.  They were still Americans, like it or not.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Valmy on June 10, 2014, 11:18:03 PM

Look at the bright side, your appliances probably do most of their tasks that would be useful to you better anyway.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?