News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Negotiating With The Taliban.

Started by mongers, May 31, 2014, 06:15:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 09, 2014, 03:36:42 PM
Derfetus supports some of the troops.  He has half a gold ribbon car magnet.

"If I had ten divisions of Siegys, our problems here would be over very quickly."

If I had ten divisions of Siegys, I'd buy stock in Coors.  :P
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

The Brain

"If I had ten divisions of Siegys, our problems here would be over very quickly."

All's well that ends well.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Berkut

His support is apparently contingent on it being politically convenient.

Not that you would be any better if the situation was reversed, commie.

Actually, I take that back - your support in the past has not been tribally motivated, even if you are rather extremely ideological (which is not exactly the same as being partisan).
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Eddie Teach

He's full of excuses for Carter getting punked by Iran.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Razgovory

Quote from: derspiess on June 09, 2014, 03:22:20 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on June 09, 2014, 03:10:06 PM
Quote from: derspiess on June 09, 2014, 11:23:02 AM

It'd be nice to see the report, but these details are enough for me conclude that he most likely deserted.

That's really sad.

Okay, Raz.

You are willing to believe a guy is a criminal based on hearsay from people who actually praised him in the official report, letters and documents he is alleged to have written that nobody can find.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Jacob

Quote from: derspiess on June 09, 2014, 11:23:02 AMIt'd be nice to see the report, but these details are enough for me conclude that he most likely deserted.

And so the US should not have sought his release?

Or should they just have offered three Taliban dudes instead of five?

Admiral Yi

We didn't pay anything for that big eared dude who married a Japanese woman in North Korea.  That was a reasonable price.

derspiess

Quote from: Berkut on June 09, 2014, 03:40:15 PM
Actually, I take that back - your support in the past has not been tribally motivated, even if you are rather extremely ideological (which is not exactly the same as being partisan).

He hates Republicans.  That's partisan enough.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

Quote from: Razgovory on June 09, 2014, 04:16:20 PM
You are willing to believe a guy is a criminal based on hearsay from people who actually praised him in the official report, letters and documents he is alleged to have written that nobody can find.

The leaked details of the report (obviously we don't have the full report to look through) combined with the emails mentioned in the Rolling Stone article tell me he probably deserted.  I wish he hadn't, and I'd love to see strong evidence that he didn't.

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Admiral Yi

What page (standard) is the RS article on?

Razgovory

Quote from: derspiess on June 09, 2014, 04:37:37 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on June 09, 2014, 04:16:20 PM

The leaked details of the report (obviously we don't have the full report to look through) combined with the emails mentioned in the Rolling Stone article tell me he probably deserted.  I wish he hadn't, and I'd love to see strong evidence that he didn't.

You don't need strong evidence he didn't.  You don't have strong evidence he did.   The leaked details of the report do not name him as a deserter, even that along with the alleged emails are second hand.  It is hearsay.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Jacob

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 09, 2014, 04:23:20 PM
We didn't pay anything for that big eared dude who married a Japanese woman in North Korea.  That was a reasonable price.

... I'm not familiar with this situation, so I'm not sure what you are getting at.

derspiess

Quote from: Razgovory on June 09, 2014, 04:43:19 PM
You don't need strong evidence he didn't.  You don't have strong evidence he did.

Strong enough at this point to where I'd need some strong evidence to the contrary to change my mind.

QuoteThe leaked details of the report do not name him as a deserter, even that along with the alleged emails are second hand.

We don't even know what kind of report it was, and whether there were additional reports.  And I thought his father provided the emails for the Rolling Stone article, but I can't say for sure.

Jacob

Quote from: derspiess on June 09, 2014, 04:37:37 PMThe leaked details of the report (obviously we don't have the full report to look through) combined with the emails mentioned in the Rolling Stone article tell me he probably deserted.  I wish he hadn't, and I'd love to see strong evidence that he didn't.

Fair enough.

Given the details of the report that you've seen, and the emails mentioned in Rolling Stone, what should have been done about the guy? What sort of deal (if any) would be acceptable to you?

And if there had been no such evidence; i.e. absent the leaked details of the report and the emails etc, assuming he was a regular POW, what sort of deal (if any) would be acceptable to you?

mongers

Quote from: Jacob on June 09, 2014, 05:04:14 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 09, 2014, 04:23:20 PM

... I'm not familiar with this situation, so I'm not sure what you are getting at.

Kidnappers regards large ears as a serious price degrader?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"