News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Negotiating With The Taliban.

Started by mongers, May 31, 2014, 06:15:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

You lost me.  I thought we were talking about inconsistency, like outrage over Bush's signing statements and indifference over Obama's.

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 11, 2014, 08:48:24 PM
You lost me.  I thought we were talking about inconsistency, like outrage over Bush's signing statements and indifference over Obama's.

How many Signing statements have Bush done vs Obama?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Admiral Yi

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 11, 2014, 10:29:02 PM
:lol: Seriously?

Well, I thought you might know what with your "fucking good radar".
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Admiral Yi

Eddie Teach

Raz, correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the problem more with the idea of making signing statements at all than just a feeling they were overused?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Razgovory

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on June 11, 2014, 10:37:55 PM
Raz, correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the problem more with the idea of making signing statements at all than just a feeling they were overused?

Actually I was under the impression that it was the sheer number of them that and what they encompassed, not that they existed (they have existed for a long time before Bush was even born).

Edit:  So consider yourself corrected.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Razgovory on June 12, 2014, 12:01:04 AM
Actually I was under the impression that it was the sheer number of them that and what they encompassed, not that they existed (they have existed for a long time before Bush was even born).

Edit:  So consider yourself corrected.

You can't take a qualitative measure like that, bundle it with a quantitative measure and claim it's all about quantity. So you're left to either argue that Obama is not utilizing them in the same manner as Bush, that both are wrong to do so, or that neither is.

Other Presidents had used signing statements before Bush, but his usage of them to "interpret" the law was considered novel and an usurpation of powers from the other branches. At any rate, why would it be ok if he did it once or twice but not if he did it regularly?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Razgovory

Fortunately I didn't do that, so there's no problem.

Berkut

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 11, 2014, 08:29:17 PM
As I believe Speesh pointed out earlier, partisan inconsistency is hardly a GOP monopoly.

That I can certainly agree with - I don't think there is any doubt that if the situation was reversed we would see much the same from the Dems. These are the people who were falling all over each other fighting over who would abandon Iraq the fastest if elected. And engaged in active and aggressive legislative attempts to undermine the military in Iraq.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Berkut

Quote from: Razgovory on June 11, 2014, 08:38:43 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 11, 2014, 08:29:17 PM
As I believe Speesh pointed out earlier, partisan inconsistency is hardly a GOP monopoly.

Which is not to say I'm conceding inconsistency on Berghahl.

I will not deny that there are Democrats who take the same tact.  However they do not dominate the party and efforts to do so were anemic.  For instance back in 2006 Democrats did dominate the congress, and many wanted to end the war.  And while it was discussed they did not cut all funding to the military to force the President's hand.  Compare this to the government shutdown last year.

It was more than "discussed", they tried to do it over and over and over again. They failed to ever get the votes necessary to succeed, but it wasn't for a lack of trying.

0 rows returned

derspiess

Quote from: Berkut on June 11, 2014, 08:13:46 PM
Actually that was a pretty nice post, and not rambling at all. I think he nailed you to the wall.

Of course you do.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Berkut

Quote from: derspiess on June 12, 2014, 09:04:29 AM
Actually that was a pretty nice post, and not rambling at all. I think he nailed you to the wall.

Of course you do.

Indeed - I am well known for my unequivocal support for Raz.

0 rows returned

derspiess

Quote from: Berkut on June 12, 2014, 09:26:53 AM
Quote from: derspiess on June 12, 2014, 09:04:29 AM

Of course you do.

Indeed - I am well known for my unequivocal support for Raz.

Nah.  I just happen to be one of those Republicans that made you ashamed to be a Republican when you were one ;)
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Jacob

Quote from: derspiess on June 12, 2014, 09:32:58 AMNah.  I just happen to be one of those Republicans that made you ashamed to be a Republican when you were one ;)

In this case, the shameful part is dodging the substance of the discussion.