News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Negotiating With The Taliban.

Started by mongers, May 31, 2014, 06:15:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

Breaking News - The US has negotiated 'via' Qatar, a prisoner swap with the Taliban, the sole US POW, an army sergeant has been released in exchanged for the freeing of 5 senior Taliban commanders/politicians held at Guantanamo. 

Time for a more general settlement?

Apparently the American has already been handed over to the US, supposedly several dozen US special forces meet with 19* Taliban fighters to conduct the handover.

The five Taliban are due to go to Qatar, living there for a year, before being transfered to Afghanistan.

* oddly specific, I'm just repeating AJ's coverage.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Admiral Yi

Quote from: mongers on May 31, 2014, 06:15:35 PM

I can't imagine any terms the Taliban would be willing to accept that the good guys would be willing to offer.

mongers

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 31, 2014, 06:30:06 PM

I can't imagine any terms the Taliban would be willing to accept that the good guys would be willing to offer.

Form a coalition with Karzai's successor, rather than attempting to topple him?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Grey Fox

Can our proposition be to execute them all?
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: mongers on May 31, 2014, 06:32:11 PM
Form a coalition with Karzai's successor, rather than attempting to topple him?

Would they be offered the ministries of Adulterer Stoning and Kite Flyer Execution?

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

CountDeMoney

exchanged for the freeing of 5 senior Taliban commanders/politicians held at Guantanamo.

You watch, they'll break their tracking collars off on a rocky outcropping as soon as they get home.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: 11B4V on May 31, 2014, 07:41:36 PM
Welcome home soldier.

His father mentioned how he's apparently having difficulty speaking English.  YA WENT INJUN DINYA

Viking

I think it is a good sign that they took a prisoner and treated him as a prisoner rather than what typically happens to Americans and Israelis when captured. Whoever is rational enough to avoid the emotional satisfaction of torture and murder is somebody who both can be and should be spoken to.

Obama's probably grateful he could get rid of the guys at guantanamo, it's not like the could be sent anywhere.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

viper37

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 31, 2014, 08:23:34 PM
Quote from: 11B4V on May 31, 2014, 07:41:36 PM
Welcome home soldier.

His father mentioned how he's apparently having difficulty speaking English.  YA WENT INJUN DINYA
Homeland scenario?
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Josquius

Quote from: Viking on May 31, 2014, 08:40:14 PM
I think it is a good sign that they took a prisoner and treated him as a prisoner rather than what typically happens to Americans and Israelis when captured. Whoever is rational enough to avoid the emotional satisfaction of torture and murder is somebody who both can be and should be spoken to.

Obama's probably grateful he could get rid of the guys at guantanamo, it's not like the could be sent anywhere.
Haha. Fair point there. Let's not hope the Taliban get wise to the fact the us doesn't actually want those prisoners
██████
██████
██████

The Brain

Obama closed Guantanamo a long time ago.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Legbiter

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 31, 2014, 08:23:34 PMHis father mentioned how he's apparently having difficulty speaking English.  YA WENT INJUN DINYA

More like Reek from game of thrones.  :(
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Viking

Quote from: Legbiter on June 01, 2014, 07:22:29 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 31, 2014, 08:23:34 PMHis father mentioned how he's apparently having difficulty speaking English.  YA WENT INJUN DINYA

More like Reek from game of thrones.  :(

My name is Reek it rhymes with Dhimmi?

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Viking

Quote from: Tyr on June 01, 2014, 12:45:47 AM
Haha. Fair point there. Let's not hope the Taliban get wise to the fact the us doesn't actually want those prisoners

Plus, if he releases them he can dronestrike them to death. The political price he pays for not being able to close guantanamo is much larger than he pays for flying death robots.