Son of Hunger Games Assistant Director kills 7 in rampage

Started by Syt, May 24, 2014, 11:49:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ideologue

Quote from: Malthus on May 27, 2014, 08:05:55 AM
Quote from: Ideologue on May 26, 2014, 08:23:53 PM
What I've seen from feminist writers and commenters is a conflation of four different categories of behavior:

1)not taking no for an answer;
2)awkward pick-up attempts (no one complains about successful ones);
3)the natural hurt feelings that come from rejection, either from awkward pick-up attempts, or from the collapse of an actual, preexisting relationship; and
4)distorted thinking resulting from social/sexual isolation (and often, as exemplified in this case, an underlying serious mental illness).

All of which can and should be discussed as separate issues rather than as one great big issue under the heading "men are taught to feel entitled to sex," which is almost on its face retarded.

According to the guy's "manifesto", he was particularly pissed at not winning the lottery. He felt it was his destiny to win the lottery. He pretty clearly was of the opinion he was a sort of god, and his anger was that no-one - not women, not men, not the laws of probablility - recognized this and showered him with the sex, adulation, and money that was his due. 

None of this has any real bearing on actual societal attitudes, as most people - except the truly insane - can differentiate between fantasy (in which they always win the lottery, every hott person of their chosen gender falls for them, and they are adored and famous without effort) and reality.

Agreed.  My post has little to do with the shooter because I don't think sociopaths have sociopolitical implications.  Anyone who thinks that a "toxic culture" on one hand or "lack of game" on the other were root causes is attempting to graft a personal belief system onto something that is sort of fundamentally inhuman--the only political program that would actually solve people like Rodger is one that prevented them from existing in the first place (by all the evidence actually the best state of affairs for everyone involved).  Of course, that would require state-mandated eugenics that uses technology that we don't even have yet, brought about by a political consensus that will not soon develop thanks to modern liberalism's inability to recognize the need for pragmatism when blindly idealistic individualism permits them to remain morally pure.

My post was more to do with the general tone of conversation on the subject of hegemonic masculinity/rape culture/etc. on leftist blogs that I read.  Conflating all those types of behavior leads to a frankly misandrist perspective on life, which is a shame, since even if you believe (2) and (3) are huge social problems, they certainly can't be solved by yelling at them.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

grumbler

Quote from: Ideologue on May 27, 2014, 08:31:25 AM
...the only political program that would actually solve people like Rodger is one that prevented them from existing in the first place (by all the evidence actually the best state of affairs for everyone involved).  Of course, that would require state-mandated eugenics that uses technology that we don't even have yet, brought about by a political consensus that will not soon develop thanks to modern liberalism's inability to recognize the need for pragmatism when blindly idealistic individualism permits them to remain morally pure.

I don't think that it requires state-mandated eugenics (and if it does, then you are right that only the insane would support such a program of insanity-elimination) so much as just the technology of which you speak, plus the extension of liability laws to incorporate failure to correct known fetal defects.  There is a huge difference between allowing parents to choose to correct defects in their offspring and giving the state the power to decide what traits it will require and allow in the offspring of every member of its society.  I know the loony left trusts "the state" that far, but who in their right mind does?  Hell, if the statists had their way, no one who doubted the state would even get born!
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

The Brain

Maybe he was a god? There was once a virgin, older than Mr. Fuckface, who believed that he was God and died violently. That man was Mr. Christ, and he was right.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: The Brain on May 27, 2014, 10:15:32 AM
Maybe he was a god? There was once a virgin, older than Mr. Fuckface, who believed that he was God and died violently. That man was Mr. Christ, and he was right.

I hadn't considered that possibility.  :hmm:
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

grumbler

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on May 27, 2014, 12:11:37 PM
Quote from: The Brain on May 27, 2014, 10:15:32 AM

I hadn't considered that possibility.  :hmm:
That Mr. Christ was a virgin?  There is no reliable evidence that this statement is true, and it seems highly unlikely.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Valmy

I am pretty sure his blood descendents became Kings of the Franks.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

grumbler

Quote from: Valmy on May 27, 2014, 01:36:34 PM

No.  They could grill a great brat, but their franks were just good.

Bayraktar!

Valmy

Quote from: Caliga on May 27, 2014, 01:51:31 PM
:bleeding:

What?  Where else did the Merovingians get their fabulous long hair from?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Maximus

Quote from: Valmy on May 27, 2014, 02:04:44 PM

Caesar?

crazy canuck

Quote from: Maximus on May 27, 2014, 03:20:44 PM
Quote from: Valmy on May 27, 2014, 02:04:44 PM

Caesar?

More likely the great barber die off of the late 5th century.

Valmy

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 27, 2014, 03:40:39 PM
More likely the great barber die off of the late 5th century.

A tragic and sad time in the history of Cosmetology.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Valmy

Legbiter

Posted using 100% recycled electrons.