Son of Hunger Games Assistant Director kills 7 in rampage

Started by Syt, May 24, 2014, 11:49:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-27562917

QuoteUS police confirm drive-by killer is Elliot Rodger

US police have confirmed that a man who killed six people in a rampage in California was 22-year-old Elliot Rodger.

The student was the son of Hollywood filmmaker Peter Rodger, who was assistant director on The Hunger Games.

At a press conference, police said Elliot Rodger had stabbed three male room-mates to death at his apartment.

He later went on a rampage through Isla Vista in a black BMW, shooting at people at random.

After exchanging gunfire with police, Rodger was found dead inside his crashed vehicle with a gunshot wound to the head, police said.

Santa Barbara County Sheriff Bill Brown said Rodger apparently killed himself during a shoot-out with police officers.

At a press conference, he called it a "chaotic, rapidly unfolding convoluted incident" that involved multiple crime scenes.

Investigators are analysing a YouTube video in which a young man who identifies himself as Elliot Rodger sits in a car and says he is going to take his revenge against humanity.

Sheriff Brown said that after leaving his apartment, Rodger had gone to a sorority house, which houses female students, and hammered loudly on the door.

They didn't open the door but Rodger had then shot three women in the street, killing two of them, Sheriff Brown said.

Rodger then drove his car through the beachside community - which is near the University of California-Santa Barbara campus - targeting people at random, and the sixth victim was shot dead in a delicatessen.

Seven other people were wounded

Sheriff Brown said it was "very apparent" that the gunman was "severely mentally disturbed", adding: "It's obviously the work of a madman."

He said authorities had recovered three semi-automatic handguns after Friday's shooting.

All the weapons were bought legally and were registered to Rodger, he said.

Earlier, Peter Rodger's lawyer, Alan Shifman, said that the "family believes the child was the perpetrator".

He said Mr Rodger's son had Asperger's syndrome, had trouble making friends and had been receiving professional help.

Mr Shifman added that the family had contacted police about "recent posts on YouTube" by Elliot "regarding suicide and the killing of people".

The family is "devastated" and co-operating with police, he said.

"We offer our deepest, compassionate sympathy to the families involved in this terrible tragedy," Mr Shifman told reporters outside the family home in Los Angeles,

Ricardo Martinez, whose 20-year-old son Christopher was one of the victims, spoke of his grief.

"When will this insanity stop? Too many have died. We should say to ourselves 'Not one more'," he said.

The University of California-Santa Barbara said it was "shocked and saddened'' by the shootings and confirmed that several of its students had been taken to hospital.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Monoriu

The Brain

Quote from: Monoriu on May 25, 2014, 05:10:11 AM
The guy is quite handsome.

Unlikely.

Quotedead inside his crashed vehicle with a gunshot wound to the head
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

MadImmortalMan

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Siege

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Josephus

Virgins and muslims. The two most dangerous groups.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

mongers

Unbalanced man in country with insane gun laws kills; how is it even news anymore?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

CountDeMoney

QuoteSpeeding on, Rodger accelerated and hit another cyclist, who was thrown onto the hood with a force that crumpled the windshield.

Not that there are any positives that come out of this sort of thing, but...

HVC

Quote from: mongers on May 25, 2014, 03:26:30 PM
Unbalanced man in country with insane gun laws kills; how is it even news anymore?
If it wasn't a gun it'd be a bomb or something. You can blame somethings on lax gun laws, but a crazy person who wants to kills will kill
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

The Brain

Quote from: HVC on May 25, 2014, 03:53:44 PM
Quote from: mongers on May 25, 2014, 03:26:30 PM
If it wasn't a gun it'd be a bomb or something. You can blame somethings on lax gun laws, but a crazy person who wants to kills will kill

:hmm: A country that gives gun licenses to virgins isn't exactly bright.

Ideologue

Kid was a weird conflation of spree killer and sex murderer.  I've read a few excerpts from his manifesto (or whatever) and he comes off worse than John Doe.  (He was oddly fixated on "blondes."  If you counted the number of times he says "blonde" ____ it would surely come in at over a thousand for the 141 page tome.)

Basically he had a head full of bad wiring.  He developed a persecution complex due to the fact that women didn't pick up on his telepathic waves and fuck him all the time.  He was apparently a regular on an involuntarily celibate forum, a den of projected self-loathing, as you might expect.  True: men who don't get laid unfortunately have a propensity for going nutty, and becoming seriously damaged, unpleasant individuals; but while they tend to evince delusional thinking, usually as a defense mechanism, this kid's prose indicated, to my layman's reading, legitimate preexistent insanity.

I read leftist sites from time to time (surprise) and the reaction is... kind of gross, honestly.  Highly ideological (guns!) and extremely misandrist (spreekillers are always men!) without recognizing it as such.  This particular case strikes me as only incidentally gun-related--indeed, he actually stabbed three victims to death--and misogyny is only an indirect consequence.  Though the conversation is bound to involve social ills (easy access to firearms, the dangers inherent to elevating normative masculinity as the only possible metric of success for men, and maybe even disproportionate distribution of sexual activity) I don't think any social ill is at the core.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

The Brain

Razgovory

Sounds like he never got past 15.  Fucker's still Holden Caulfield at 22.  The kids got a BMW, he really has to try to not get laid.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Legbiter

Quote from: Ideologue on May 25, 2014, 04:26:30 PMI read leftist sites from time to time (surprise) and the reaction is... kind of gross, honestly.  Highly ideological (guns!) and extremely misandrist (spreekillers are always men!) without recognizing it as such.  This particular case strikes me as only incidentally gun-related--indeed, he actually stabbed three victims to death--and misogyny is only an indirect consequence.  Though the conversation is bound to involve social ills (easy access to firearms, the dangers inherent to elevating normative masculinity as the only possible metric of success for men, and maybe even disproportionate distribution of sexual activity) I don't think any social ill is at the core.

He's eerily like a Houellebecq character. Slightly more narcissistic and sociopathic, for sure, but pretty much spot on.

By the time he posted this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBvaVWdJRQM he's pretty much a goner. Look at his creepy body language, Master Villain ramblings and general social ineptness, he'd give any chick goosebumps in a bad way.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.