News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

News from Iran? Good? Bad? Who knows?

Started by Faeelin, June 08, 2009, 10:58:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DisturbedPervert

Quote from: jimmy olsen on June 15, 2009, 02:46:42 PM
Nice collection of photos can be found at the Boston Globe site.

http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/2009/06/irans_disputed_election.html

I love the pictures of the police bikes.  It's like modern day Mount and Blade.

citizen k

Quote from: jimmy olsen on June 15, 2009, 03:02:50 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on June 15, 2009, 02:04:03 PM

There's reports that the Basij's base in central Tehran, in Azadi Square, has been stormed and is currently on fire, the commander's apparently dead.  The Basij are the militia of the Revolutionary Guard and have grown under Ahmedinejad's time in office.  It was speculated a while ago that he was building them up to repress any civil disorder.
I can't find this anywhere, got a source?

This is from the latest AP report:
QuoteLater, a group of demonstrators with fuel canisters set a small fire at a compound of a volunteer militia linked to Iran's powerful Revolutionary Guard as the crowd dispersed from the square. As some tried to storm the building, people on the roof could be seen firing directly at the demonstrators at the northern edge of the square, away from the heart of the rally.

Cerr

Is there any chance of the regular army intervening (preferably on the side of the protesters)?

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

Quote from: alfred russel on June 15, 2009, 03:05:18 PM
Does anyone know why the police and their gear have "Police" written on them in English?

I was getting ready to ask the same thing.

Maybe they got them as a bonus item in the Iran-Contra deal :D
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

The Brain

Don't they have jobs? Who's stoning the teenagers today?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Fate

But the linear regression had an R squared value of 1! IT"S UNIMPOSSIBLE!1

clandestino

Quote from: jimmy olsen on June 15, 2009, 03:19:29 PM
TIME is estimating that the protest in Tehran today had 2-3 million people.

http://www.time.com/time/world/article/0,8599,1904764,00.html

They are talking about 10,000 in Theeran over here.

Numbers...

DisturbedPervert

Quote from: clandestino on June 15, 2009, 03:34:23 PM

They are talking about 10,000 in Theeran over here.

Numbers...

Well, it is Time...

Martinus

Can't be arsed to read the entire thread, but I hope someone has already pointed out that Mousavi is a chauvinist antisemite who believes in the nuclear programme and destruction of Israel, right?

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: Martinus on June 15, 2009, 03:47:37 PM
Can't be arsed to read the entire thread, but I hope someone has already pointed out that Mousavi is a chauvinist antisemite who believes in the nuclear programme and destruction of Israel, right?

I guess you prefer ahmedinidong then.

Martinus

Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on June 15, 2009, 03:48:53 PM
Quote from: Martinus on June 15, 2009, 03:47:37 PM

I guess you prefer ahmedinidong then.

Not really. I prefer antisemitic muslim fundamentalist retards killing each other, though. :)

Queequeg

Quote from: Martinus on June 15, 2009, 03:51:06 PM
Not really. I prefer antisemitic muslim fundamentalist retards killing each other, though. :)
I don't know how much control Mousavi has over the movement at this point.  It looks increasingly likely that in a post-Revolution Iran the Supreme Ruler and the Guardian Council might be less powerful (which would be true if the Revolution doesn't work, anyway), with honest elections and presumably increasing liberalism. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Neil

And tomorrow Newsweek will be reporting 6-7 billion.

The media is always wrong.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.