News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

News from Iran? Good? Bad? Who knows?

Started by Faeelin, June 08, 2009, 10:58:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richard Hakluyt

The BBC correspondents seem to think that the demonstrating crowds are in the "hundreds of thousands". If they are correct this could be significant.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Sheilbh on June 15, 2009, 02:04:03 PM
Quote from: Valmy on June 15, 2009, 02:00:54 PM
For all of Islam's attempts to avoid worshipping big Mo as a God they sure seem to do everything but.

There's reports that the Basij's base in central Tehran, in Azadi Square, has been stormed and is currently on fire, the commander's apparently dead.  The Basij are the militia of the Revolutionary Guard and have grown under Ahmedinejad's time in office.  It was speculated a while ago that he was building them up to repress any civil disorder.
By the protesters or by a rival militia group?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Berkut

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on June 15, 2009, 02:14:01 PM
The BBC correspondents seem to think that the demonstrating crowds are in the "hundreds of thousands". If they are correct this could be significant.

It could be, but for some reason I am feeling very pessimistic, and think that it is all going to go away, and we will be left dissapointed.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Josquius

We should bear in mind Tehran is a ant colony of a city here.
But lets hope anyway.
██████
██████
██████

Admiral Yi

Quote from: jimmy olsen on June 15, 2009, 02:17:58 PM
By the protesters or by a rival militia group?
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Irania militia is some sort of federal police, not one of many armed political factions.

KRonn

There's reports that the Basij's base in central Tehran, in Azadi Square, has been stormed and is currently on fire, the commander's apparently dead.  The Basij are the militia of the Revolutionary Guard and have grown under Ahmedinejad's time in office.  It was speculated a while ago that he was building them up to repress any civil disorder.
Wow, if true, and along with all else that's going on, the apparent huge numbers of protesters, these protests seem to be quite significant and possibly drastic over all. I had figured it would be quelled, people would either calm down or be stopped by the various militia and govt groups. But it seems to be taking quite the different turn, so far anyway. With so many people, and calling for the police/military to join them, if it is really like that as reported, I'd say things are more in the balance than could have been expected. That said, and I may be wrong, I still expect the government to get a handle on things. That may not be so sure of a thing now, but I'm also thinking that things may not be so drastic for the government as it may look from reports.

DisturbedPervert

Iranian Elvis has even joined the riots.

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

lustindarkness

Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Richard Hakluyt

That is a good collection of pics. It does look pretty serious, I wonder if the regime will go for bloody repression or temporise?

jimmy olsen

The crowd was apparently 5 miles long.

1 Karma Chameleon point

jimmy olsen

I can't find this anywhere, got a source?

1 Karma Chameleon point

Ed Anger

Quote from: jimmy olsen on June 15, 2009, 02:59:40 PM

The crowd was apparently 5 miles long.

I didn't know they could stack shit that high.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

alfred russel

Does anyone know why the police and their gear have "Police" written on them in English?
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014