What the Fuck is Going On with Perceptions of Racism by the Left These Days?

Started by Queequeg, May 06, 2014, 11:36:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: Jacob on May 07, 2014, 01:37:31 PM
I remember specific examples, but there isn't really much point in dredging them up now.

Certainly something to keep in mind if she ever comes back though.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Ideologue

Quote from: Razgovory on May 07, 2014, 01:37:52 PM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on May 07, 2014, 01:31:00 PM
I suppose stuff must have happened since Buddha left the forum, since I don't recall anyone referring to "her" when he was here.  :hmm:
he/she

And then there's that.

Quote from: JacobI remember specific examples, but there isn't really much point in dredging them up now.

Says you.  Check your cognitive privilege. :angry:
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Razgovory

How else am I suppose to refer to a person over a period of time who makes a shift like that?  I'm not entirely sold on the deference for transsexuals thing.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

FunkMonk

Since this is America, is there any way I can go about purchasing this "privilege"? Is there a privilege store?
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Razgovory

Quote from: FunkMonk on May 07, 2014, 01:46:17 PM
Since this is America, is there any way I can go about purchasing this "privilege"? Is there a privilege store?

We call it a "Country club", in Jefferson City.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Ideologue

Quote from: Razgovory on May 07, 2014, 01:45:36 PM
How else am I suppose to refer to a person over a period of time who makes a shift like that?  I'm not entirely sold on the deference for transsexuals thing.

Simple forgetfulness is one thing, and if someone gets torqued over that they're oversensitive, but why not use the preferred personal pronoun rather than "he/she" stuff?  The framework of transsexuality is not the same framework we'd use for DGuller if he just decided to stop being an accountant one day.  In theory, Buddha was a woman with gender dysmorphia.  Now she's getting better.  Just say "she."  It costs nothing.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Eddie Teach

She'll never be able to get rid of those pesky y-chromosomes though.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Razgovory

Quote from: Ideologue on May 07, 2014, 01:49:54 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on May 07, 2014, 01:45:36 PM

Simple forgetfulness is one thing, and if someone gets torqued over that they're oversensitive, but why not use the preferred personal pronoun rather than "he/she" stuff?  The framework of transsexuality is not the same framework we'd use for DGuller if he just decided to stop being an accountant one day.  In theory, Buddha was a woman with gender dysmorphia.  Now she's getting better.  Just say "she."  It costs nothing.

What if she switches back?  Is he then a man who had gender dysmorphia and now is a man again?  Or what about someone in mid-transition?  Let's say I board a plane and midway through I decide I'm a woman.  Do you say "He boarded the plane and she left it?"  I find it rather confusing.  I also come from a position where I've known (well been locked up with) people who believed they were things they were not like, angels or dogs.  I remember a man who believed he was some sort of animal (I think it was a dog), but I never actually thought of him as a dog or referred to him as such.  Likewise when he tried to run about naked the staff would stop him, something they wouldn't do to a dog.

Valmy

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on May 07, 2014, 01:57:35 PM
She'll never be able to get rid of those pesky y-chromosomes though.

Fortunately she only has one.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Valmy

Quote from: Razgovory on May 07, 2014, 01:59:16 PM
What if she switches back?  Is he then a man who had gender dysmorphia and now is a man again?  Or what about someone in mid-transition?

However they want to be addressed.  Not my business to make decisions like that.

Ideologue

Raz, I'm sure Yi has an economic position you disagree with somewhere.  You two boys go play.
Kinemalogue

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Jacob

Quote from: Razgovory on May 07, 2014, 01:59:16 PM
What if she switches back?  Is he then a man who had gender dysmorphia and now is a man again?  Or what about someone in mid-transition?  Let's say I board a plane and midway through I decide I'm a woman.  Do you say "He boarded the plane and she left it?"  I find it rather confusing.  I also come from a position where I've known (well been locked up with) people who believed they were things they were not like, angels or dogs.  I remember a man who believed he was some sort of animal (I think it was a dog), but I never actually thought of him as a dog or referred to him as such.  Likewise when he tried to run about naked the staff would stop him, something they wouldn't do to a dog.

So what you just did there saying that someone who is transgendered is essentially the same as some guy who thought he was a dog.

I expect that sort of thing could get tiresome over time if you are transgendered.

Valmy

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on May 07, 2014, 02:08:31 PM
One in every cell.

Nothing tons of intersex women don't easily deal with.

Damn ok Jake point taken.

Jacob

Quote from: Valmy on May 07, 2014, 01:31:55 PM
How did we bust her on those traits? 

You were the one who suggested people may have been busting on her.

Like Ide said upthread, it was less people directly addressing negative stuff at Buddha, and more that stuff ridiculing or otherwise being hostile to transgendered people came up in other contexts.

I mean, in many ways it was just some people being their regular crusty selves in a way that's pretty standard here; only on that topic. I think it could get pretty tedious pretty quickly, however if it applies directly and personally to you and you're the only such person here. Also, Buddha never was that much for the verbal abuse back and forth here altogether.

That said, I don't know if that's why we don't see Buddha around anymore. I'm merely saying that it was something that stood out to me on several occasions, that I didn't know how to address it at the time so I didn't, and that it might have contributed; but I don't know.