What the Fuck is Going On with Perceptions of Racism by the Left These Days?

Started by Queequeg, May 06, 2014, 11:36:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ideologue

Are you going to make me use the word "microaggression" non-ironically?  You son of a bitch. :(
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Jacob

Quote from: Razgovory on May 07, 2014, 02:46:11 PM
Jake, what I know of the mental health establishment is that is quite a bit of debate on the issue (this isn't out of the ordinary, since there is disagreement on even basic things in mental health), and the DSM IV lists these as mental disorder (I don't know about the DSM V).

I believe that the change from DSM IV to DSM V is from "disorder" (meaning that being transgendered was considered a disorder to be cured) to "dysphoria" (meaning that whatever negative consequences and unhappiness springing from being transgendered is the problem, not being transgendered).

QuoteHow would you, distinguish between a person who is transgendered and someone who simply has a delusion they are of a different gender?

I wouldn't attempt to, I don't think.

garbon

Quote from: Ideologue on May 07, 2014, 02:42:16 PM
Quote from: garbon on May 07, 2014, 02:35:36 PM
Quote from: Valmy on May 07, 2014, 02:01:07 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on May 07, 2014, 01:59:16 PM
What if she switches back?  Is he then a man who had gender dysmorphia and now is a man again?  Or what about someone in mid-transition?

However they want to be addressed.  Not my business to make decisions like that.

Yeah I agree with this and what Ide said. Even if I might still have questions around the phenomena*, it doesn't cost me to refer to someone how they like to be referred.

*As someone who insists they are really male but in a woman's body is counter to my view of the world that gender is sort of arbitrary/mutable and genders are fixed things that one can know to which one fundamentally belongs. If I check that I'm a male on a form it is really more so that I am recognizing a societal label and that I may have some of the behaviors/traits that society associates with men - but not so much that I feel like a male. I'm not even totally sure what it means to feel like a particular gender.

Awful.

:unsure:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Razgovory on May 07, 2014, 02:46:11 PM
How would you, distinguish between a person who is transgendered and someone who simply has a delusion they are of a different gender?

I think the premise of this question is flawed.  Why would there be any need to make such a judgment unless of course one started from the proposition that there is something wrong with being transgendered.

Jacob

Quote from: derspiess on May 07, 2014, 02:57:59 PM
Nah, I'm kind of with you on it.  I think Ide was being hypersensitive for jumping your shit for the "he/she" thing, especially since Buddha once identified as a "he" and then later as a "she".

Well, we were discussing how Buddha could have (but may not have) started to feel unwelcome or that it just wasn't worth the bother to read and post here. What Ide pointed is relevant independent of how hypersensitive Ide may or may not be on the subject.

That said, different people have different thresholds of stuff that bother them. Maybe Buddha wouldn't have given a damn, or maybe she does.

QuoteOut of politeness I'd call Buddha a she now since that's what she prefers, but on a high level I'm also skeptical on feeding someone's gender delusions.

It probably comes across as more polite if you refrain from voicing your skepticism about feeding gender delusions in the same breath :)

derspiess

Jake, for your latter point I'd agree with you if Buddha were still here.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Ideologue

Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Ideologue

Kinemalogue

garbon

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

garbon

Ideologue

Kinemalogue

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Eddie Teach

Feeling awful is a part of the human experience that is not limited to males.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?