What the Fuck is Going On with Perceptions of Racism by the Left These Days?

Started by Queequeg, May 06, 2014, 11:36:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

QuoteChecking your privilege doesn't mean anyone is asking you to say "I only have things because I am part of privileged groups". It does mean someone is asking you to say "By position of a characteristic I was born with, I have been helped, or at least not hurt, more than others without this characteristic". It does not mean anyone wants you to apologize for it; it does mean someone is asking for an acknowledgement of the implications of it, either for how it is impacted where you are now, how it might be skewing your perspective or level of knowledge in discussing a subject, or for how the lack of that same privilege may have made things different for someone else.

I just want to say, this is perfectly reasonable.  And perfectly obvious.  I mean sure one is helped by having functioning eyeballs and not being born paralyzed, or having mental problems. One is aided by not having to put up with the crap certain other groups have to put up with.  One's family and economic circumstances are probably better than somebody elses'.  I mean sure I think everybody could agree with that. 

So it is puzzling to me why this idea always seems to go to weird and counterproductive directions.  Or at least seems that way to me.

Quote"Like most entitled white guys, upon finding himself on the opposite end of the entire world's fawning approval, he started crying about it," he continues.

O'Neil says that many of the privileged class, if they go back far enough, can find an ancestor who didn't have it so good. Does everyone with a grandparent who faced adversity get a free pass?

I mean complete ad hominem attack, and making presumptions about his life entirely based on his race.  And then follow that up by claiming he does not get a free pass.  A free pass on what?  How do we get to weird places like this?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Razgovory

Quote from: Queequeg on May 07, 2014, 11:32:59 AM
Sorry.  After the whole fracas on my FB I am pretty paranoid about any kind of perceived accusations of racism.

You don't have to worry about that here.  You can attend a couple of Aryan nation rallies and Derspeiss will be okay with it.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

Quote from: Razgovory on May 07, 2014, 11:57:02 AM
Quote from: Queequeg on May 07, 2014, 11:32:59 AM
Sorry.  After the whole fracas on my FB I am pretty paranoid about any kind of perceived accusations of racism.

You don't have to worry about that here.  You can attend a couple of Aryan nation rallies and Derspeiss will be okay with it.

Spicey rages against all who engage in inter-racial marriages.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Sheilbh

Quote from: Syt on May 07, 2014, 06:41:56 AM
"The phrase," he writes, "handed down by my moral superiors, descends recklessly, like an Obama-sanctioned drone, and aims laser-like at my pinkish-peach complexion, my maleness and the nerve I displayed in offering an opinion rooted in a personal Weltanschauung."
Okay I've switched sides <_< :bleeding:
Let's bomb Russia!

Ideologue

It makes you want to punch him in the face, right?  Who writes like that?
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

derspiess

Quote from: Razgovory on May 07, 2014, 12:09:17 PM
Quote from: derspiess on May 07, 2014, 11:57:43 AM
:huh:

Randy Weaver.  And you not buying that he really is a racist.

So when did I say I was a fan of his?  I believe I've stated on multiple occasions that he's a kook.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Sheilbh

Quote from: Ideologue on May 07, 2014, 12:07:19 PM
I'm not sure even Germans should use the word weltanschauung <_<

But you're right. Do sanctioned and aimed drones really descend recklessly?
Let's bomb Russia!

Valmy

Quote from: Sheilbh on May 07, 2014, 12:03:20 PM
Quote from: Syt on May 07, 2014, 06:41:56 AM
"The phrase," he writes, "handed down by my moral superiors, descends recklessly, like an Obama-sanctioned drone, and aims laser-like at my pinkish-peach complexion, my maleness and the nerve I displayed in offering an opinion rooted in a personal Weltanschauung."
Okay I've switched sides <_< :bleeding:

His opponents at Princeton are equally pretentious.  It is Princeton.

derspiess

Quote from: Sheilbh on May 07, 2014, 12:11:21 PM

I suppose that depends on the style of the operator.

KRonn

Quote from: Valmy on May 07, 2014, 11:54:11 AM

Quote"Like most entitled white guys, upon finding himself on the opposite end of the entire world's fawning approval, he started crying about it," he continues.

O'Neil says that many of the privileged class, if they go back far enough, can find an ancestor who didn't have it so good. Does everyone with a grandparent who faced adversity get a free pass?

I mean complete ad hominem attack, and making presumptions about his life entirely based on his race.  And then follow that up by claiming he does not get a free pass.  A free pass on what?  How do we get to weird places like this?

Agreed. Weird places indeed.   :hmm:

Jacob

Quote from: Sheilbh on May 07, 2014, 12:11:21 PM
I'm not sure even Germans should use the word weltanschauung <_<

The guy sounds like a total prat.

Valmy

Jacob

Smarmy rich kids who've done little so far, but who nonetheless expect people to pay rapt attention to their pronouncements.

You know... people who were raised to believe that their insights are profound and their expressions brilliant and have not, as of yet, had any significant experiences to counter that belief.

... I think there may be a more concise way to express that concept, but you get the picture.