What the Fuck is Going On with Perceptions of Racism by the Left These Days?

Started by Queequeg, May 06, 2014, 11:36:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

Quote from: derspiess on May 07, 2014, 11:57:43 AM
:huh:
If you stop responding to him, he will accuse me of being you (like he accused me in the "what are you playing now" thread in the game forum of being some dude who ignored him online or something, because, you know, everyone who doesn't respond to razness must be me).  :lol:

That should lead to some fun; why don't you try it. :P
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: Jacob on May 07, 2014, 12:36:20 PM
Smarmy rich kids who've done little so far, but who nonetheless expect people to pay rapt attention to their pronouncements.

You know... people who were raised to believe that their insights are profound and their expressions brilliant and have not, as of yet, had any significant experiences to counter that belief.

... I think there may be a more concise way to express that concept, but you get the picture.

In other words, people who had crappy teachers.

I hope he has a work ethic that goes beyond what he needed in high school, because if he got away with writing like that at his school, he is going to find an Ivy league college very hard indeed.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Syt

Quote from: Sheilbh on May 07, 2014, 12:11:21 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on May 07, 2014, 12:07:19 PM
It makes you want to punch him in the face, right?  Who writes like that?
I'm not sure even Germans should use the word weltanschauung <_<

It's rather neutral in German. Ideology would have a more negative connotation.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Valmy

Quote from: grumbler on May 07, 2014, 12:39:09 PM
I hope he has a work ethic that goes beyond what he needed in high school, because if he got away with writing like that at his school, he is going to find an Ivy league college very hard indeed.

It was good enough to get him on Fox News wasn't it?  Wait....
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Jacob

Quote from: Tamas on May 07, 2014, 08:23:04 AM
Quote from: Gups on May 07, 2014, 07:44:08 AM
Discounting an opinion on the basis of who holds it is just a childish debating tactic.

It is also popular on Languish.

Figures you would say that...

Childish attacks aside, we make few pretensions at being above childish debating tactics here. And in general, I think we're reasonably aware when we're just trading barbs for the hell of it (most of the time, to varying degrees of childishness) and when we're actually having reasonably intelligent exchanges of opinions and analysis (on occasion).

Ideologue

But you're right. Do sanctioned and aimed drones really descend recklessly?

And, I mean, there aren't nearly as many semicolons and dashes as there should be.  I'm satisfied with the number of commas.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Valmy

Quote from: Syt on May 07, 2014, 12:40:36 PM

It's rather neutral in German. Ideology would have a more negative connotation.

It was in Calvin and Hobbes once:

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Ideologue

Which is pretty much the most incisive criticism of that line possible. :lol:
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Malthus

How about "I check my privilege regularly, to see how I may best add to it"?  :hmm:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Ideologue

Kinemalogue

Jacob

Quote from: Ideologue on May 07, 2014, 12:51:55 PM
You should acknowledge your Canadian privilege.

Oh but we do. That's why you guys think we're so damn smug all the time. Because we revel in our Canadian privilege.

mongers

Quote from: Gups on May 07, 2014, 07:39:09 AM
Quote from: mongers on May 07, 2014, 07:05:20 AM
Quote from: KRonn on May 07, 2014, 07:01:02 AM
This "check your privilege" stuff is just nuts, agreed on that. I guess it works, sort of, at some colleges but I have to think it's just pissing many people off and the overbearing of it probably tends to turn them off to real race issues.

Never heard that expression until opening this thread.

I look forward to soon hearing it in the wild over here.   <_<

It's been a taple on left-wing forums etc for a coupla years now. It's a great way to avoid engaging in an argument. The negative version of the familiar "As a ....[black person/lesbian/whatever]

:huh:

Wait, when did Languish stop being a left-wing forum ?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

derspiess

I haven't checked my Appalachian privilege for a while.  Might do that while I'm running out for coffee in a few.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

Quote from: Jacob on May 07, 2014, 12:57:30 PM
Quote from: mongers on May 07, 2014, 12:55:43 PM:huh:

Wait, when did Languish stop being a left-wing forum ?

It never was.

Hans disagrees.  However Buddha left us for being a right wing American forum though right?