What the Fuck is Going On with Perceptions of Racism by the Left These Days?

Started by Queequeg, May 06, 2014, 11:36:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

Quote from: Malthus on May 07, 2014, 01:09:02 PM
I think what characterizes this forum overall is skepticism and sacrasm. Both are somewhat corrosive to deeply-held political, social or religious beliefs, of whatever stripe.

fagdiz lost his religion. :(
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Ideologue

I was going to make an anti-Semitic joke about checking your Jewish privilege just to see if I could get a reaction. :P

Then it made me think about how eventually accruing privilege to a certain group has been used before to stoke hatred of it as a scapegoat, but then I didn't want to make a Nazi comparison to (basically) good-hearted leftists. :hmm:
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ideologue

Quote from: Valmy on May 07, 2014, 01:16:03 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on May 07, 2014, 01:11:42 PM
And thanks to Meri and Brazen, we narrowly get away with the misogyny. -_-

That is what you think mr. thinspiration.

My anti-obesity campaign isn't directed solely at women. :angry: It's also directed at transwomen.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Jacob

Quote from: Valmy on May 07, 2014, 01:07:39 PMSeriously?  Huh I thought we liked that part of Buddha.  People might have just been busting on her.

Just being busted on is rarely that pleasant when you're a representative of a small minority and you're being busted on for those traits, in my observation. Especially when you're the only representative of that minority.

Ideologue

Small and still very discriminated-against minority.  "LGBT" is a fucking joke.
Kinemalogue

Razgovory

Quote from: derspiess on May 07, 2014, 12:10:58 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on May 07, 2014, 12:09:17 PM
Quote from: derspiess on May 07, 2014, 11:57:43 AM
:huh:

Randy Weaver.  And you not buying that he really is a racist.

So when did I say I was a fan of his?  I believe I've stated on multiple occasions that he's a kook.

You said you weren't really sure you could buy that he was a racist despite the fact he kept showing up to Aryan Nation rallies.  I found that amusing.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Razgovory

Quote from: grumbler on May 07, 2014, 12:36:28 PM
Quote from: derspiess on May 07, 2014, 11:57:43 AM
:huh:
If you stop responding to him, he will accuse me of being you (like he accused me in the "what are you playing now" thread in the game forum of being some dude who ignored him online or something, because, you know, everyone who doesn't respond to razness must be me).  :lol:

That should lead to some fun; why don't you try it. :P

Christ, for someone who ignores me you seem to take a lot of interest in my posts.  In fact, I don't think anyone else here is that interested in what I have to say.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Malthus

Quote from: Jacob on May 07, 2014, 01:22:28 PM
Quote from: Valmy on May 07, 2014, 01:07:39 PMSeriously?  Huh I thought we liked that part of Buddha.  People might have just been busting on her.

Just being busted on is rarely that pleasant when you're a representative of a small minority and you're being busted on for those traits, in my observation. Especially when you're the only representative of that minority.

Nothing is more hilarious than making fun of a tiny, generally ridiculed and persecuted minority. You are practically guaranteed yuks from the majority of slack-jawed yokels.  :hmm:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Eddie Teach

I suppose stuff must have happened since Buddha left the forum, since I don't recall anyone referring to "her" when he was here.  :hmm:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Valmy

How did we bust her on those traits?  It seemed like most of the time Buddha showed up she would be on the left wing on an issue and people would usually get on her for that but...damn.

That sucks I would feel horrible if that was what was going on.  Both you and Ide seem to think it was so...fuck.  Well I will apologize next time I see her on facebook.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Malthus

Quote from: Valmy on May 07, 2014, 01:31:55 PM

How did we bust her on those traits?  It seemed like most of the time Buddha showed up she would be on the left wing on an issue and people would usually get on her for that but...damn.

That sucks I would feel horrible if that was what was going on.  Both you and Ide seem to think it was so...fuck.  Well I will apologize next time I see her on facebook.

Well, to be honest, I remember no mention at all about it when she was here. Maybe I just wasn't paying attention, which is quite possible.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Valmy

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on May 07, 2014, 01:31:00 PM
I suppose stuff must have happened since Buddha left the forum, since I don't recall anyone referring to "her" when he was here.  :hmm:

She changed her name and stuff shortly after she left IIRC.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Ideologue

I don't think it was ever a direct insult, we are mostly (believe it or not) too classy for that.  It's been a long time since anyone's ever been directly called a faggot on Languish (well, an actually gay guy anyway -_- ) too.  But when the topic came up, I recall that there were reactions which were bound to make someone of the persuasion feel a bit unwanted. :(

Can't remember any specific examples, so take it with a grain of salt, but I don't think I'm making it up. :unsure:
Kinemalogue

Jacob

Quote from: Ideologue on May 07, 2014, 01:35:05 PM
I don't think it was ever a direct insult, we are mostly (believe it or not) too classy for that.  It's been a long time since anyone's ever been directly called a faggot on Languish (well, an actually gay guy anyway -_- ) too.  But when the topic came up, I recall that there were reactions which were bound to make someone of the persuasion feel a bit unwanted. :(

Can't remember any specific examples, so take it with a grain of salt, but I don't think I'm making it up. :unsure:

I remember specific examples, but there isn't really much point in dredging them up now.

Razgovory

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on May 07, 2014, 01:31:00 PM

I think he/she made the switch fairly recently.  Of course, I never really cared that much.