What the Fuck is Going On with Perceptions of Racism by the Left These Days?

Started by Queequeg, May 06, 2014, 11:36:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ideologue

Is that why she hasn't posted in a while?  If true, what an asshole. :huh:

Most of you are worse than right wing: you're centrists.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Malthus

Quote from: Ideologue on May 07, 2014, 01:00:02 PM

We are true believers; but we don't know what we truly believe in.  ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Jacob

Quote from: Valmy on May 07, 2014, 12:59:15 PM
Hans disagrees.  However Buddha left us for being a right wing American forum though right?

That was Sask. I don't think Buddha ever said while she left, she just drifted off. Personally I think it was the background - sometimes foreground - trans hostility that got expressed here fairly frequently; I imagine that would've gotten pretty tedious pretty quick.

Valmy

I remember that was the explanation she gave on facebook.  But I don't want you harboring a deep anger towards Buddha just based on my recollections :P

I used to classify myself as centrist but I seem to be being pulled in a lefterly direction as I get older.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

derspiess

However Buddha left us for being a right wing American forum though right?

Really?  I know he left a while ago but never knew why.  We're still FB friends so she obviously doesn't seem to take offense to my rightwingedness.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Syt

I like to think I'm a left leaning libertarian adherent of realpolitik. But that's just, like, my Weltanschauung or something. :P
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Valmy

Quote from: Jacob on May 07, 2014, 01:04:48 PMPersonally I think it was the background - sometimes foreground - trans hostility that got expressed here fairly frequently; I imagine that would've gotten pretty tedious pretty quick.

Seriously?  Huh I thought we liked that part of Buddha.  People might have just been busting on her. 
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on May 07, 2014, 01:07:09 PM
However Buddha left us for being a right wing American forum though right?

Really?  I know she left a while ago but never knew why.  We're still FB friends so she obviously doesn't seem to take offense to my rightwingedness.

Ok I don't want to tar Buddha with this.  Maybe it was Sask.  Either way though.

Malthus

I think what characterizes this forum overall is skepticism and sacrasm. Both are somewhat corrosive to deeply-held political, social or religious beliefs, of whatever stripe.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

derspiess

Now I will admit to being a little hostile towards Sask and his views on hygiene.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Ideologue

Quote from: Jacob on May 07, 2014, 01:04:48 PM
Hans disagrees.  However Buddha left us for being a right wing American forum though right?

That was Sask. I don't think Buddha ever said while she left, she just drifted off. Personally I think it was the background - sometimes foreground - trans hostility that got expressed here fairly frequently; I imagine that would've gotten pretty tedious pretty quick.

I did find the transphobia more than a little off-putting, especially when we had a t-woman on the board.  It probably would've been better if we'd had more than one--I think part of the reason we get away with the (usually) joking homophobia is because like half of us are gay.  And thanks to Meri and Brazen, we narrowly get away with the misogyny. -_-

Val, I'm not really mad.  I just miss Buddha's perspective and I also very much hope I didn't have anything to with it.  It's narrowly possible that she might've interpreted some things I said, not directly to her, as transphobia (actually more like agism, really), though I was only talking about practical concerns. :(
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Duque de Bragança

I now await in fear of the crappy French translation of "Check your privilege". Past horrors of "perspective de genre" have been used quite liberally for the past decade.

Ideologue

Quote from: Malthus on May 07, 2014, 01:04:14 PM

We are true believers; but we don't know what we truly believe in.  ;)

C.R.E.A.M.
Kinemalogue

Malthus

Quote from: Ideologue on May 07, 2014, 01:11:42 PM
Quote from: Jacob on May 07, 2014, 01:04:48 PM

I did find the transphobia more than a little off-putting, especially when we had a t-woman on the board.  It probably would've been better if we'd had more than one--I think part of the reason we get away with the (usually) joking homophobia is because like half of us are gay.  And thanks to Meri and Brazen, we narrowly get away with the misogyny. -_-

Val, I'm not really mad.  I just miss Buddha's perspective and I also very much hope I didn't have anything to with it.  It's narrowly possible that she might've interpreted some things I said, not directly to her, as transphobia (actually more like agism, really), though I was only talking about practical concerns. :(

You guys will never get away with the anti-Semitism though. I'm taking names.  :ph34r:

Anti-lawyerism, too.  :ph34r: :ph34r:

Valmy

Quote from: Ideologue on May 07, 2014, 01:11:42 PM
And thanks to Meri and Brazen, we narrowly get away with the misogyny. -_-

That is what you think mr. thinspiration.