Crowning the dragon: Chinese GDP PPP will exceed America's by year's end.

Started by jimmy olsen, May 04, 2014, 09:36:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

Quote from: Valmy on May 06, 2014, 02:33:11 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on May 06, 2014, 02:09:19 PM
It wasn't?

There were plenty of Irish landlords as well.

Basically the whole thing was unfortunate but unavoidable, and as such it does not in any way imply that being part of the British Empire had negative consequences for the subject nations?

The Brain

Quote from: Razgovory on May 06, 2014, 02:48:27 PM
It wasn't?

Yes, they were called Anglo-Irish landlords.  Okay, let me pare it down a bit, how much land was owned by Catholic Irish (who made up the majority of the population and who famine fell on?

If you're Protestant you aren't really Irish, in some mystical sense? :unsure:
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

DGuller

Raz, can you just say what you fucking mean, without rhetorical questions or "I was under impression"?

Malthus

Quote from: The Brain on May 06, 2014, 03:06:12 PM
It wasn't?

Yes, they were called Anglo-Irish landlords.  Okay, let me pare it down a bit, how much land was owned by Catholic Irish (who made up the majority of the population and who famine fell on?

"Just because one is born in a stable does not make one a horse!" - (misattributed to) the Duke of Wellington, on being called "Irish".
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

The Brain

Quote from: Malthus on May 06, 2014, 03:23:07 PM
It wasn't?

"Just because one is born in a stable does not make one a horse!" - (misattributed to) the Duke of Wellington, on being called "Irish".

Statistics indicate otherwise.

Valmy

Quote from: Jacob on May 06, 2014, 03:04:37 PM
Basically the whole thing was unfortunate but unavoidable, and as such it does not in any way imply that being part of the British Empire had negative consequences for the subject nations?

I have already stated what I believe were the ultimate causes of the famine (besides the obvious one of a potato blight).  The second part is a ridiculously broad question.  I honestly have no idea if the British Empire had negative or positive consequences for each of the subject nations, I do not have an alternate reality machine to see if things would have gone better or worse.  The British Empire was a fundamentally immoral structure and how much positivity it may or may not have had for its subject people is immaterial to that reality.  If I do not condemn the British Empire sufficiently I hope you do not take that to mean I support it any way.

On the other hand Ireland is a strange and unique example of it.  The problems Ireland had were the result of centuries of sectarian conflict.  The Irish had voting rights and representation in Parliament and were considered British citizens.  If every part of the Empire had that going for it I would feel a lot differently about the British Empire, believe me.  Of course it would no longer be a British Empire at that point but some sort of amazingly diverse super state.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Malthus

Quote from: The Brain on May 06, 2014, 03:33:59 PM
Quote from: Malthus on May 06, 2014, 03:23:07 PM
It wasn't?

Statistics indicate otherwise.

That's bad news for Christians.  ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

The Brain

The Bible isn't meant to be taken literally. The stable is allegorical.

Valmy

Quote from: The Brain on May 06, 2014, 03:44:14 PM
The Bible isn't meant to be taken literally. The stable is allegorical.

It is symbolic of all farm related buildings, showing the spiritual need for farm subsidies.

DGuller

Razgovory

Quote from: DGuller on May 06, 2014, 03:18:38 PM
Raz, can you just say what you fucking mean, without rhetorical questions or "I was under impression"?

It is difficult to for me to speak in absolutes because I'm insane.  My impressions, understandings, and beliefs may be derived from delusions.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Minsky Moment

There is no account in the Bible that says Jesus was born in a stable.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Malthus

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on May 06, 2014, 04:07:52 PM
There is no account in the Bible that says Jesus was born in a stable.

Where does one usually find a manger?

http://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Bible_(American_Standard)/Luke#2:1

Quote6 And it came to pass, while they were there, the days were fulfilled that she should be delivered.

7 And she brought forth her firstborn son; and she wrapped him in swaddling clothes, and laid him in a manger, because there was no room for them in the inn.