Crowning the dragon: Chinese GDP PPP will exceed America's by year's end.

Started by jimmy olsen, May 04, 2014, 09:36:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Terrible article. First of all there is no way in hell that the Chinese economy was larger than Britain's in 1890. Secondly, GDP PPP is very overrated as a means of evaluating an economy. You can't buy goods on the world market with PPP dollars. Third, last I checked the US was on the Pacific.

http://www.economist.com/blogs/graphicdetail/2014/04/daily-chart-19?fsrc=scn/tw/te/pe/ed/dailychartppp

QuoteCrowning the dragon
Apr 30th 2014, 0:02 by J.M.F. and L.P.

Timekeeper

China will become the world's largest economy by the end of the year

UNTIL 1890 China was the world's largest economy, before America surpassed it. By the end of 2014 China is on track to reclaim its crown. Comparing economic output is tricky: exchange rates get in the way. Simply converting GDP from renminbi to dollars at market rates may not reflect the true cost of living. Bread and beer may be cheaper in one country than another, for example. To account for these differences, economists make adjustments based on a comparable basket of goods and services across the globe, so-called purchasing-power parity (PPP). New data released on April 30th from the International Comparison Programme, a part of the UN, calculated the cost of living in 199 countries in 2011. On this basis, China's PPP exchange rate is now higher than economists had previously estimated using data from the previous survey in 2005: a whopping 20% higher. So China, which had been forecast to overtake America in 2019 by the IMF, will be crowned the world's pre-eminent country by the end of this year according to The Economist's calculations. The American Century ends, and the Pacific Century begins.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Razgovory

Why?  The UK had less then 40 million people in 1890.  There was 10 times as many Chinese.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Valmy

Well by that same token, they have five times as many Chinese than Americans.  If a peasant economy could be larger than a global trade and industrial empire in 1890 just on population than this is hardly a big deal today when China actually has a modern economy.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

CountDeMoney

Meh, it's all smoke and mirrors anyway.  And when it crashes, it's going to crash hard.

Valmy

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 04, 2014, 10:32:57 PM
Meh, it's all smoke and mirrors anyway.  And when it crashes, it's going to crash hard.

All I know is Japan already relegated the US to the scrap heap of history sometime around 1989.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on May 04, 2014, 10:33:39 PM

All I know is Japan already relegated the US to the scrap heap of history sometime around 1989.

:(
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Josquius

QuoteUNTIL 1890 China was the world's largest economy
And in the first sentence the article invalidates itself.
██████
██████
██████

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Ideologue

Quote from: garbon on May 04, 2014, 10:41:01 PM
Quote from: Valmy on May 04, 2014, 10:33:39 PM

:(

Damn, that's a deep cut. :hug:
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

DGuller

I think all Chinese investors just collectively breathed a sigh of relief.

mongers

Man, do you ever tire of slating the US economy.  :rolleyes:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Sheilbh

Quote from: Tyr on May 04, 2014, 11:25:58 PM
QuoteUNTIL 1890 China was the world's largest economy
And in the first sentence the article invalidates itself.
Don't see how it's that mad. Wasn't China's economy between 30-40% of the global economy at the start of the 19th century? I'd be amazed if Britain was able to overtake her even as China was declining (again my understanding is only precipitously in the latter half of the 19th century) before the US had already taken over.
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

Quote from: jimmy olsen on May 04, 2014, 09:36:14 PM
Secondly, GDP PPP is very overrated as a means of evaluating an economy. You can't buy goods on the world market with PPP dollars.

Only a minority of goods and services consumed are internationally traded.

Valmy

Quote from: Sheilbh on May 05, 2014, 07:10:32 AM
Don't see how it's that mad. Wasn't China's economy between 30-40% of the global economy at the start of the 19th century? I'd be amazed if Britain was able to overtake her even as China was declining (again my understanding is only precipitously in the latter half of the 19th century) before the US had already taken over.

I find that surprising given the disastrous Manchu policies of the 18th century.  And yes I would imagine the Taiping rebellion would cause some precipitous decline.  I just find it hard to believe that a de-industrialized peasant economy hammered by civil strife and war would be larger than India+Britain+everything which were industrializing and thriving.  I mean damn.

Warspite

Why is it so preposterous that China had a larger economy than the UK in the nineteenth century?
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA