Crowning the dragon: Chinese GDP PPP will exceed America's by year's end.

Started by jimmy olsen, May 04, 2014, 09:36:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

Quote from: Malthus on May 07, 2014, 10:35:35 AM
Quote from: DGuller on May 07, 2014, 09:36:42 AM
How ironic that grumbler would tackle a story about aging.  :hmm:

Really, we should be asking Grumbler about animal storage in 0 AD. After all, he probably witnessed it personally.  ;)
I didn't hang around with Jews... especially jews who were so cheap they'd rather sleep in the barn than spend money on a room at the inn.  There were always vacancies at that place.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Malthus

Quote from: grumbler on May 07, 2014, 12:44:01 PM
Quote from: Malthus on May 07, 2014, 10:35:35 AM
Quote from: DGuller on May 07, 2014, 09:36:42 AM
How ironic that grumbler would tackle a story about aging.  :hmm:

Really, we should be asking Grumbler about animal storage in 0 AD. After all, he probably witnessed it personally.  ;)
I didn't hang around with Jews... especially jews who were so cheap they'd rather sleep in the barn than spend money on a room at the inn.  There were always vacancies at that place.

:lol:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

mongers

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Josquius

QuoteLots of other parts of Europe experience problems at this point - Belgium, Holland, Sweden and Russia - none have a famine like this. One of the first steps taken by each of those governments was to ban the export of grains. During the famine Ireland exported a huge amount of food, mostly corn, to England - estimated to be enough to feed 2 million each year. That was never taken by British governments because it would affect Britain and it was an unconscionable meddle in the market.
The famine didn't effect the whole island at once. Considering that everything was shipped over water anyway it really doesn't strike me as so huge a deal as some like to make out that exports continued, it wasn't as if Britain was actively stealing the Irish food afterall, I'm not familiar with 19th century commodity prices but I wouldn't assume the cheapest food would have to be the Irish exports; some of it may well be, but cheap food crops from elsewhere in the UK would have done just as well, or better. The not wanting to mess with the market stuff is however a huge mistake, thankfully this was recognised at the time and it was a big contributing factor to the collapse of the Whigs.

It was, incidentally, what Grattan's Parliament - which was an ascendancy Parliament with limited powers prior to union - did in response to a minor famine in the 1780s.
I'm not so sure that would be repeated in a post-Napoleonic, over-crowded mid-19th century, liberal Ireland with a considerably worse famine.
Not to mention that British charity efforts probably wouldn't bring so much if this was happening in a foreign land rather than in part of the UK.

Given the pace of emigration to the US, Canada, Australia and, yes, Glasgow and Liverpool, I don't think the Irish were overly worried if they could move to somewhere convenient.
Much of the movement to the new world went via Britain and British ships. It seems fairly likely their avenues of escape would be cut down quite a bit

Quote from: jimmy olsen on May 07, 2014, 03:02:51 AM
Quote from: Tyr on May 07, 2014, 02:10:05 AM

Yep, the government were a bunch of ideologically focused numpties, but most of the aid that did come to Ireland was from the UK; this wouldn't be totally removed with an I deodorant Ireland but I would imagine it would be sharply lessened.
Is this supposed to be independent? Talk about a Freudian slip.

Also, numpties? Really?
Freudian slip? :huh:
But that was a horrific autocorrect. :bleeding: It was indeed independent.
Whats wrong with the word numpties?
██████
██████
██████

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Valmy

Quote from: Razgovory on May 08, 2014, 05:03:27 AM
I'm surprised that it's not all America's fault.

If we had had USAID in 1850 it all would have been different.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Jacob

Josq certainly does seem much more lenient when it comes to analyzing the results of British hegemony compared to how he views the results of American action and inaction.

Valmy

Quote from: Jacob on May 08, 2014, 11:05:55 AM

Josq certainly does seem much more lenient when it comes to analyzing the results of British hegemony compared to how he views the results of American action and inaction.

Well to be fair, I do tend to be more lenient towards people in the past than present.  It is harder for past people to respond to my criticisms.  It is also easier to dismiss people in the past as inferior and come to the false conclusion that we today are so much wiser and future tragedies are impossible.  But that is probably not what Jos is going for  :P
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Razgovory

Quote from: Valmy on May 08, 2014, 11:20:17 AM

Well to be fair, I do tend to be more lenient towards people in the past than present.  It is harder for past people to respond to my criticisms.  It is also easier to dismiss people in the past as inferior and come to the false conclusion that we today are so much wiser and future tragedies are impossible.  But that is probably not what Jos is going for  :P

I prefer attacking people who can't get back at me.  If I criticize Robert Peel, he's not going to come to my house and kick me in the balls.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Sheilbh

Quote from: Razgovory on May 08, 2014, 03:31:04 PM
I prefer attacking people who can't get back at me.  If I criticize Robert Peel, he's not going to come to my house and kick me in the balls.
I'll add stuff later. But I don't know why you'd moan about Robert Peel. His response was effective and he was a pretty impressive PM on the famine. As the Freeman's Journal put it 'no man died of famine during his administration'.
Let's bomb Russia!

Razgovory

Quote from: Sheilbh on May 08, 2014, 05:52:03 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on May 08, 2014, 03:31:04 PM
I'll add stuff later. But I don't know why you'd moan about Robert Peel. His response was effective and he was a pretty impressive PM on the famine. As the Freeman's Journal put it 'no man died of famine during his administration'.

Cause he's dead, he can't get me now.  I thought I was clear about that.  I used his name cause I couldn't remember who came after him.

Josquius

Like what?
I've seen it pop up occasionally but I don't know where this idea that I'm anti-American comes from.
██████
██████
██████