Crowning the dragon: Chinese GDP PPP will exceed America's by year's end.

Started by jimmy olsen, May 04, 2014, 09:36:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGuller

How ironic that grumbler would tackle a story about aging.  :hmm:

grumbler

Quote from: DGuller on May 07, 2014, 09:36:42 AM

How ironic that DG discuss the irony contained in a post that he clearly didn't bother to read very carefully. :hmm:
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

The Minsky Moment

Some real person or persons wrote Luke and they used real Greek words to do so.  Those real words have some real meaning.
IMO it is pretty clear that the Bethlehem story is fictitious but still one can talk meaningfully about the content of that story.  If one is going to recreate a scene from that story, then one must have some idea of what is being said.  Whether is based on real events or not is irrelevant.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Malthus

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on May 07, 2014, 09:11:24 AM
A common practice in the ancient world and well after was that animals would be left outside in the day and brought indoors at night inside the lodging. (this also served the purpose of providing heat). The feeding trough would be in the lodging.  The provision for an entirely separate structure just for housing animals would imply fairly high levels of wealth probably not typical for a small backwater settlement like Bethlehem.

Animals were typically stored in one of two ways - either in seperate outbuildings (if this was in fact an "inn") or on a lower floor of the same structure the people themselves lived in. Either could be logically described as a "stable", though admittedly, in the latter case it is simply the ground floor of the same building. The meaning does not change though - the family, having been unable to find available space in a place where people typically slept (either the upper floor, or in the case of an "inn", a seperate structure), had to bed down - and here that reasonable assumption comes into play - in a place where the animals are usually kept, whether that was a seperate structure or the ground floor of the same building.

The meaning isn't really any different - bedding down, never mind giving birth, in the place one generally uses to store animals is unfortunate and icky. Unless you are the Brain - in which case, giving birth isn't an issue.  ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Admiral Yi

Valmy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 07, 2014, 10:17:49 AM
This thread is supposed to be about the Potato Famine.  :mad:

WTF?  I am pretty sure it is about the Indian cloth industry during the British Raj.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

DGuller

Quote from: grumbler on May 07, 2014, 09:45:51 AM

How ironic that DG discuss the irony contained in a post that he clearly didn't bother to read very carefully. :hmm:
I'm a writer, not a reader.

Malthus

Really, we should be asking Grumbler about animal storage in 0 AD. After all, he probably witnessed it personally.  ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Ideologue

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on May 07, 2014, 09:49:39 AM
If one is going to recreate a scene from that story, then one must have some idea of what is being said.  Whether is based on real events or not is irrelevant.

It's a little late to embrace the art of production design now.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Sheilbh

Any of you read Benedict's Jesus of Nazareth: The Infancy Narratives on this?
Let's bomb Russia!

Razgovory

Quote from: Tyr on May 07, 2014, 02:10:05 AM
I'm pretty confident that if Ireland wasn't part of Britain the potatoe famine would have been much much worse.
Yep, the government were a bunch of ideologically focused numpties, but most of the aid that did come to Ireland was from the UK; this wouldn't be totally removed with an I deodorant Ireland but I would imagine it would be sharply lessened.
The uk also offered a convenient place to move to, again not impossible with the two being separate countries but more difficult.
And though the Uk government did a crap job of helping in Ireland at least they saw that as a desirable thing to do. Would the ascendancy have been so concerned about a bunch of freeloading Catholics dying?  they could even see it as a positive step, nature/god doing clearances for them.

:lol:
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Gups

Quote from: Razgovory on May 07, 2014, 10:55:39 AM
Quote from: Tyr on May 07, 2014, 02:10:05 AM
I'm pretty confident that if Ireland wasn't part of Britain the potatoe famine would have been much much worse.
Yep, the government were a bunch of ideologically focused numpties, but most of the aid that did come to Ireland was from the UK; this wouldn't be totally removed with an I deodorant Ireland but I would imagine it would be sharply lessened.
The uk also offered a convenient place to move to, again not impossible with the two being separate countries but more difficult.
And though the Uk government did a crap job of helping in Ireland at least they saw that as a desirable thing to do. Would the ascendancy have been so concerned about a bunch of freeloading Catholics dying?  they could even see it as a positive step, nature/god doing clearances for them.

:lol:

Hey you'd say stupid shit too if you were channelling Dan Quale.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Capetan Mihali

"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)