News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Mass Death Sentences in Egypt

Started by jimmy olsen, April 28, 2014, 08:43:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

1,100 sentenced to death for the death of one man? What, did they each give him one paper cut?

This kind of behavior seems garunteed to inspire hatred and further violence.
http://time.com/79530/egypt-mass-death-sentence-courts-muslim-brotherhood/
QuoteEgypt's Courts Mock Justice With More Mass Death Sentences

One court condemned 683 more defendants to the gallows, making 1,100 Egyptians who have been convicted in the death of a single policeman. Meanwhile, no security official has been charged for the more than 1,000 civilians killed in July

Egyptians will go to the polls at the end of May to elect a president, but Monday brought a flurry of reminders that democracy is about more than what happens at the ballot box. The courts that are supposed to provide a check on executive power were showcasing their apparently complete alignment with Egypt's security state.

The same Egyptian judge who last month sentenced to death 529 Muslim Brotherhood supporters condemned another 683 to the gallows in Minya, including the organization's Supreme Guide, Mohamed Badie. Meanwhile, the Cairo Court for Urgent Matters banned the April 6 Movement, a grassroots organization instrumental in the 2011 revolution that Egypt's military last year seized power ostensibly to protect.

The behavior of the Egyptian courts is giving human rights groups cause for great concern. "The reality is that on one side you have this legal system which is not fit for purpose," says Massoud Shadjareh, chairman of the Islamic Human Rights Commission in London. "Then you add the political pressures being borne on the judiciary, and you're getting these sort of messages coming across... It's absurd. The scale of the whole thing should bring fear into the international community."

There was at least a hint that the global opprobrium that greeted last month's mass sentencing may have had some impact. After condemning the 683 to death, the court revisited the 529 sentenced to death last month, commuting the sentences of all but 37 defendants to life in prison. But the convictions remained contaminated by the trial – a single day, with no defense allowed – as well as upstaged by the record-breaking mass sentence in the second case. "The judge did not give the lawyers any time to study the case," says Ahmed Ban, an analyst for the Nile Center for Political and Strategic Studies and former Brotherhood member. "He didn't listen to witnesses."

Shadjareh notes that with Monday's verdict, more than 1,100 Egyptians have been convicted for the death of a single policeman in Minya, while no security official has been charged for the more than 1,000 civilians killed across Egypt since the military dissolved the elected government dominated by the Brotherhood in July.

Both Minya trials grew out of riots that broke out across Egypt in August, after Egyptian forces mounted an assault on a Brotherhood sit-in on a Cairo street, killing hundreds. The massacre heralded a crackdown that appears to involve every major state institution, including courts which, even during decades of dictatorship, retained a reputation for independence.

During the rule of President Hosni Mubarak and his predecessors, Anwar Sadat and Gamal Abdel Nasser, "the judiciary sometimes acted as a brake on the government's most authoritarian impulses," Nathan J. Brown and Michelle Dunne of the Carnegie Endowment for International Peace recently wrote, " Now, all the instruments of the Egyptian state seem fully on board. Whereas Nasser had to go to the trouble of setting up kangaroo courts, today there is no need." Judges have outlawed the Muslim Brotherhood, the Palestinian militant group Hamas, and now the liberal April 6 Movement, named for the date of a planned 2008 public strike in an industrial town that grew into a nationwide protest movement.

Appeals against these rulings are theoretically available, but apparently are not to be attempted. A delegate from the online human rights group Avaaz was detained and deported earlier this month while trying to coordinate a meeting with Egypt's Grand Mufti, the state official who must review every death sentence. The delegate carried a petition signed by 1.1 million people urging the Mufti to set aside the 529 death sentences.

"Look not at just what these cases mean individually, but what it means overall for Egypt," says Sam Barratt, a spokesman for Avaaz.org. "Our deeper concern is what this means to the direction of Egypt, and what that could mean to the region for an increasingly disenfranchised group of individuals who have been shown no recourse but violence."

Analysts say the fate of Badie, the Supreme Guide, may be crucial. If his sentence is carried out, Egyptian authorities will have executed the eighth holder of the office created by Brotherhood founder Hassan al-Banna, the Egyptian schoolteacher who established the organization as a grassroots effort to apply the imperatives of Islam to modern government.

The Supreme Guide holds nominal sway over Brotherhood branches in other nations, but his primary authority has been in Egypt, where for decades the group remained the only formidable organized opposition to the secular security state held in place by the nation's powerful military. And indeed Badie and his aides in the Guide's office at times appeared to govern Egypt jointly with Mohamed Morsi, the Brotherhood official narrowly elected president in 2012, under the banner of the Brotherhood's Freedom and Justice Party, until the July 3 coup.

Morsi's own trial is scheduled to resume May 6. The charges he faces include incitement to murder and insulting the judiciary. If Egypt's courts carry on acting as they have done, the outcome is unlikely to be a surprise.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Scipio

Mass executions? In my religion of peace?
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Sheilbh

What's happening in Egypt is awful and predictable.
Let's bomb Russia!

DGuller

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 28, 2014, 09:42:41 PM
What's happening in Egypt is awful and predictable.
I don't think it was that predictable.  This is Saddam Hussein level of brutality, not just from a bodycount point of view, but also from the brazen arbitrariness on display.  Most Arab dictators' repression tactics are less absolute than that.  The problem for the rest of us is that this kind of repression either works very well or very badly (and sometimes both, as in the case of Syria).

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Razgovory on April 28, 2014, 08:51:15 PM
Nobody gives a fuck.
The continued destabilization of Egypt is an important geopolitical variable.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

Ideologue

Why?  I think cotton grows elsewhere.  We could possibly even grow it here again.

Obviously, we could free the Egyptian people from their nutty dysfunctional semi-democracy in a day and establish our own norms in a week, at a cost of between $30-60 million.  But we won't, so why bother worrying about it?
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Ideologue on April 28, 2014, 09:57:34 PM
Why?  I think cotton grows elsewhere.  We could possibly even grow it here again.
It's the most populous Arab state and controls one of the world's vital sea lanes via it's possession of the Suez canal.

1 Karma Chameleon point

Phillip V

What is the official line from the U.S. and Israel regarding these mass death sentences?

Ideologue

Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 28, 2014, 09:58:43 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on April 28, 2014, 09:57:34 PM
It's the most populous Arab state and controls one of the world's vital sea lanes via it's possession of the Suez canal.

If they don't let our ships through, we take it back.  Cost, $30-60 million.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Razgovory

Quote from: Scipio on April 28, 2014, 09:39:55 PM
Mass executions? In my religion of peace?

The judge agrees with your sentiment which is why the secularist government is executing Muslim fanatics.  You should feel proud.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Ideologue

Kinemalogue

DGuller

Quote from: Phillip V on April 28, 2014, 09:59:29 PM
What is the official line from the U.S. and Israel regarding these mass death sentences?
Saddened, very saddened.

Sheilbh

Quote from: DGuller on April 28, 2014, 09:52:04 PM
I don't think it was that predictable.  This is Saddam Hussein level of brutality, not just from a bodycount point of view, but also from the brazen arbitrariness on display.  Most Arab dictators' repression tactics are less absolute than that.  The problem for the rest of us is that this kind of repression either works very well or very badly (and sometimes both, as in the case of Syria).
It's nowhere near Hussein or Assad family brutality or psychopathy

Also this judge has form. Over the Minya cases he's now sentenced 1200 people to death. But as the article says 'Egypt's Grand Mufti, the state official who must review every death sentence'. Of the previous 550 sentences the Mufti confirmed about 40, he's expected to dismiss the majority of these too. This all shows the violence the security state are willing to consider to repress the Brotherhood, but also that the government doesn't have nearly as much control of the judiciary as it seems or they'd like. If they did then there would be less outrageous sentences coming out of the courts.

Yes there are elections coming up (in which Sisi is running as the reincarnation of Nasser and has been endorsed by the Army), Western Embassies and Tony Blair have described Sisi as a 'promising democrat' and most prefer him to the Brotherhood. But the facts look far more like this is a re-emerging police state in which the army have declared war on the Brotherhood. Given that, this is roughly what you'd expect.

At best Sisi succeeds in getting on top of Egypts economic problems and he's a new Nasser. At best Egypt will be a very managed democracy, but I think even then a military dictatorship is more likely. At worst I think another mass revolt is likely, clashing with a far more repressive state than the MB or even Mubarak. It's striking that the Army, which is the last and only trusted national institution in Egypt, have thrown their credibility behind Sisi. This was apparently against the advice of his backers in the Gulf who wanted a civilian to run for President with Sisi as the power behind the throne and the Army able to remove them if there were protests again. As it is there's no veil. If Sisi fails then the Army has failed.

I'm pessimistic on Egypt but I've said before I think they could end up like Pakistan or even worse.
Let's bomb Russia!

jimmy olsen

How could it become worse than Pakistan without completely disintegrating?

1 Karma Chameleon point