News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Mass Death Sentences in Egypt

Started by jimmy olsen, April 28, 2014, 08:43:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 28, 2014, 11:07:40 PM
How could it become worse than Pakistan without completely disintegrating?
Exactly.
Let's bomb Russia!

jimmy olsen

Their society seems too urban and densely populated to collapse like that.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Razgovory

Quote from: DGuller on April 28, 2014, 09:52:04 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on April 28, 2014, 09:42:41 PM
What's happening in Egypt is awful and predictable.
I don't think it was that predictable.  This is Saddam Hussein level of brutality, not just from a bodycount point of view, but also from the brazen arbitrariness on display.  Most Arab dictators' repression tactics are less absolute than that.  The problem for the rest of us is that this kind of repression either works very well or very badly (and sometimes both, as in the case of Syria).

Hey, this is what you guys wanted.  We had thread on this and everyone but me and Shelf wanted to see military rule restored and Brotherhood gone.  This is how it happens.  What else did you expect?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Razgovory

Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 28, 2014, 11:16:45 PM
Their society seems to urban and densely populated to collapse like that.

Take a look at Lebanon in the 1980's.  It was pretty urban as well.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Sheilbh

Considerably less urban than Lebanon or Syria.
Let's bomb Russia!

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 28, 2014, 11:21:44 PM
Doesn't 95% of the population live within 20km of the river?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

Valmy

Quote from: Razgovory on April 28, 2014, 11:20:17 PM
Hey, this is what you guys wanted.  We had thread on this and everyone but me and Shelf wanted to see military rule restored and Brotherhood gone.  This is how it happens.  What else did you expect?

While I do not remember taking a stance on this I am puzzled why military rule means the brotherhood is vindicated.  The main thing I wanted out of this is for the US to stop being party to brutal dictators.  Not sure if I am getting what I wanted or not.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Razgovory

Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 28, 2014, 11:23:27 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on April 28, 2014, 11:21:44 PM
Doesn't 95% of the population live within 20km of the river?

:lol:  That reminds me of the time you claimed that destroying Aswan damn would kill 90% of Egypt's population.  Most of the land near the river is farmland.  It's a really long river, Tim, in fact it's the longest in the world.

Razgovory

Quote from: Valmy on April 28, 2014, 11:26:58 PM

While I do not remember taking a stance on this I am puzzled why military rule means the brotherhood is vindicated.

Did I say the brotherhood is vindicated?  I don't remember saying that.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Razgovory on April 28, 2014, 11:21:04 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 28, 2014, 11:16:45 PM
Their society seems to urban and densely populated to collapse like that.

Take a look at Lebanon in the 1980's.  It was pretty urban as well.

I found it to be rather urbane.

Valmy

Quote from: Razgovory on April 28, 2014, 11:29:45 PM

Ok then what are you saying exactly?  It sure sounded like you were saying this shows you were right to support the Brotherhood. 
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

jimmy olsen

Actually, I believe the Amazon is now accredited that honor.

It would. -_-

1 Karma Chameleon point

Sheilbh

Quote from: Valmy on April 28, 2014, 11:26:58 PM
While I do not remember taking a stance on this I am puzzled why military rule means the brotherhood is vindicated.
I thought a military coup was wrong then and that the consequences of military rule were, after a brief honeymoon, pretty inevitable. Seriously within a fortnight they'd set up a public helpline for people to report local members of the Brotherhood. I still think that.

I also didn't think the situation warranted a military coup. I think there's a lot of wrong-headed belief on Islamism (see Tony Blair's recent speech) that causes hyperventilation at the sight of a beard.

At the time of the coup the Brotherhood hadn't tried to impose a dictatorship. There were elections coming up. Their proposed constitution was significantly less Islamist than Sisi's draft (and many of the controversial sections have direct comparisons with Ireland's). In addition to that they were failing. Their support was dropping and, clearly, they never had the backing of the Army or the police anyway.

Given that situation I didn't get the need for a coup. My view was you shouldn't interrupt your enemy when he's making a mistake and the Army will no have responsibility for Egypt's economy which is dysfunctional for reasons way beyond Morsi.

It's not about the Brotherhood being vindicated - I'm not even sure what from. They were incredibly incompetent and are a very conservative, very narrow Islamist party. But I was a relatively convinced neo-con and I still, kind-of, am.
Let's bomb Russia!

Razgovory

Quote from: Valmy on April 28, 2014, 11:33:19 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on April 28, 2014, 11:29:45 PM

Ok then what are you saying exactly?  It sure sounded like you were saying this shows you were right to support the Brotherhood.

I think it vindicates that a democratic elected government over military dictatorship.

DGuller

Quote from: DGuller on April 28, 2014, 09:52:04 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on April 28, 2014, 09:42:41 PM
What's happening in Egypt is awful and predictable.
I don't think it was that predictable.  This is Saddam Hussein level of brutality, not just from a bodycount point of view, but also from the brazen arbitrariness on display.  Most Arab dictators' repression tactics are less absolute than that.  The problem for the rest of us is that this kind of repression either works very well or very badly (and sometimes both, as in the case of Syria).

I expected the military to do their terrorizing and extermination behind the scenes, not making headlines every week.