News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Am I the only one pissed off by the SNP?

Started by Josquius, April 17, 2014, 04:40:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

Quote from: Valmy on April 20, 2014, 07:41:02 PM
Man this is going to be a nail biter.  It is amazing how fickle and reactionary the public is on such a big issue.
According to James Forsyth the psephology of referendums is that generally the longer the campaign lasts, the stronger the 'no' vote gets. One exception: Quebec :ph34r:
Let's bomb Russia!

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 20, 2014, 07:42:30 PM
Let them vote yes then offer then really shitty terms when they come crawling back.
Why would they come crawling back? Why would we offer shitty terms? What shitty terms could we offer?
Let's bomb Russia!

Valmy

Let them vote yes then offer then really shitty terms when they come crawling back.

I think it will be a bitter bitter divorce if it happens.  The English, Welsh, and Northern Irish will not let them back, and Scotland would never admit it was a mistake in the first place.  This is going to be really bad for everybody involved.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Ed Anger

Maybe my borderer cousins can start raiding again.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 20, 2014, 07:43:15 PM
Why would they come crawling back?
No rich bankers to sponge off of.
QuoteWhy would we offer shitty terms?
Spite.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 20, 2014, 07:49:48 PM
Royal Bank of Scotland? Momentarily the world's biggest bank.

Edinburgh's got a very strong financial sector. But they do also have oil and gas and some of the world's best engineering firms in that sector too.
Let's bomb Russia!

Valmy

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 20, 2014, 07:54:01 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 20, 2014, 07:49:48 PM

Edinburgh's got a very strong financial sector. But they do also have oil and gas and some of the world's best engineering firms in that sector too.

Halliburton and Schlumberger are Scottish?  Well I guess they should be ok then. :P
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 20, 2014, 07:54:01 PM

I imagine all their money making folk live and work in London.

mongers

Quote from: Valmy on April 20, 2014, 07:43:41 PM

I think it will be a bitter bitter divorce if it happens.  The English, Welsh, and Northern Irish will not let them back, and Scotland would never admit it was a mistake in the first place.  This is going to be really bad for everybody involved.

Or maybe the rest of us British could be adult-like, generous and neighbourly in reaction to a yes vote ? 
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Eddie Teach

You act neighborly to your neighbors. Be kinda hard to go back to being family.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

mongers

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on April 20, 2014, 08:46:56 PM

I'm not getting why there needs to be hate or disdain in any future dealings with an independent Scotland. 

Sheilbh

Quote from: mongers on April 20, 2014, 08:50:37 PM
I'm not getting why there needs to be hate or disdain in any future dealings with an independent Scotland.
I don't think there would be :mellow:
Let's bomb Russia!

mongers

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 20, 2014, 08:51:13 PM
I don't think there would be :mellow:

I know, but one or two of our American friends seem to think there should be.

Personally, whilst seeing it as a sad turn of events, I think it's up to the rest of us in Britain to show our class if Scotland votes independent or if ultimately their experiment fails.

Viking

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on April 20, 2014, 08:46:56 PM

Of course there will be strife and conflict since when independence comes it won't be the panacea for all of scotland's ills. Salmond is right in the sense that very little will change.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 20, 2014, 08:19:19 PM
I imagine all their money making folk live and work in London.
Some do, especially because they own English (and Irish and American) banks but around 10 000 work in Edinburgh. But I doubt all the money-making bankers of UBS or Credit Suisse live in Geneva.

It's not that odd or difficult for a connection with Edinburgh and London. I mean Standard Chartered are based in London, but they're a mostly Asian bank.

And I think it's very unlikely that we'd go back to tariffs or border checks.
Let's bomb Russia!