Am I the only one pissed off by the SNP?

Started by Josquius, April 17, 2014, 04:40:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

I don't think Cameron getting involved would help matters. Salmond has been pushing for a debate with him for a while, He would just love that, it would give him an opportunity to squarely paint no as the Tory vote.
The more people realise this referendum has nothing to so with the current  government the better

Independence really does worry me. It would fundamentally fuck up my country.  It may be far away and unimportant to London but to the north east it would literally be like our country breaking in half.
██████
██████
██████

Sheilbh

Quote from: Tyr on April 20, 2014, 09:08:40 PM
I don't think Cameron getting involved would help matters. Salmond has been pushing for a debate with him for a while, He would just love that, it would give him an opportunity to squarely paint no as the Tory vote.
He shouldn't debate him. But it hardly helps that it doesn't look like the PM cares. I mean he gives his first big speech on Scotland in London :bleeding:
Let's bomb Russia!

Valmy

Quote from: mongers on April 20, 2014, 08:31:30 PM
Or maybe the rest of us British could be adult-like, generous and neighbourly in reaction to a yes vote ? 

Divorces typically do not go this way.  Americans would certainly not be that way in the event of such a slap in the face.  Hopefully we will never find out.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

alfred russel

What happens if it gets a 51% yes vote? Is that really enough?

I think, at a minimum, scotland should have to prevail in at least one pitched battle with england before becoming free. 
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on April 20, 2014, 09:15:49 PM
Quote from: mongers on April 20, 2014, 08:31:30 PM
Or maybe the rest of us British could be adult-like, generous and neighbourly in reaction to a yes vote ? 

Divorces typically do not go this way.  Americans would certainly not be that way in the event of such a slap in the face.  Hopefully we will never find out.

Depends on the states begging for leave...:shifty:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: alfred russel on April 20, 2014, 11:00:09 PM

I think, at a minimum, scotland should have to prevail in at least one pitched battle with england before becoming free.

There was Stirling Bridge.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Valmy

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on April 20, 2014, 11:08:32 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on April 20, 2014, 11:00:09 PM

There was Stirling Bridge.

Bannockburn was better.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on April 20, 2014, 11:03:27 PM

Yeah right.  The Federal Government would make our lives miserable.

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on April 20, 2014, 11:10:35 PM
Quote from: garbon on April 20, 2014, 11:03:27 PM

Yeah right.  The Federal Government would make our lives miserable.

The People aren't really the Government. :(
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Syt

Quote from: Valmy on April 20, 2014, 08:06:11 PM
Halliburton and Schlumberger are Scottish?  Well I guess they should be ok then. :P

I was confused there for a second. Schlumberger is also the name of an Austrian producer of Sekt.

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Richard Hakluyt

I suspect that most English people will react to an independent Scotland in much the same way that they react to Scotland now........indifference. Of course that would appear to be the most irritating attitude to the Scots that we could possibly have  :P

I've talked to a lot of Scots over the years, both friends and relatives, and one of the primary gripes of SNP-leaning Scots is that Scotland gets so little attention in the national media; try coming from the North of England I tell them. Scotland has slightly less than 1/12 of the UK's population, the old counties of Lancashire (pre '71 boundaries) and Yorkshire each have populations of around 5 million, the same as Scotland. But I don't think that most Scots see it like that; it is a bit like the "Texan's map of the USA", in their hearts they seem to think that Scotland maybe has half or a third of the population of England, so feel slighted by the lack of attention.

Anecdotal I know, but I've had that conversation a fair few times over the years and throw it in for what it is worth.

grumbler

I am absolutely in balance as far as my preferred results of the referendum, despite being half-Scot by ancestry (two grandparents born there).  Not because I feel like "a pox on both your houses," but, rather, because I can see good coming from either outcome of the vote.  An independent Scotland would have to face its social and economic challenges squarely, rather than allowing southern money to paper over the cracks, while a British Scotland would have to adjust to the idea that they need to make what they have work, rather than putting off reforms until they gain independence and can "make our own decisions."  In neither case to the problems seem so overwhelming that they only admit of a single solution, or an immediate one.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Tamas

Grumbler I am fairly certain that any challenges an independent Scotland would face will be blamed fully on England.

Has anyone made the math to see if Scotland is a net beneficiar of the UK budget, or they would be better off financing themselves?

Grey Fox

Quote from: Tamas on April 21, 2014, 09:24:52 AM
Grumbler I am fairly certain that any challenges an independent Scotland would face will be blamed fully on England.

Has anyone made the math to see if Scotland is a net beneficiar of the UK budget, or they would be better off financing themselves?

They have Oil...
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

derspiess

Quote from: Tamas on April 21, 2014, 09:24:52 AM

I thought it was common knowledge that they are a huge net beneficiary.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall