Am I the only one pissed off by the SNP?

Started by Josquius, April 17, 2014, 04:40:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/an-independent-scotland-would-lose-its-hs2-warns-minister-9256659.html

QuoteAn SNP spokesman for Scotland's Transport minister, Keith Brown, hit back: "This is exactly the kind of high-handed, arrogant, patronising attitude from Westminster that is driving so many people across Scotland to the Yes campaign and towards a Yes vote in September."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-27030447

QuoteCommenting after the defence secretary's speech, the SNP's leader in Westminster and defence spokesman Angus Robertson said: "Another day, another scare story.

"Scotland is a maritime nation but we have no maritime patrol aircraft. They used to be based here until they were all scrapped by the UK government.

Angus Robertson, leader of the SNP in Westminster, says the UK government does not take Yes plans for defence seriously

"We are a maritime nation but we have no maritime naval patrol vessels.

"Independence gives us the advantage of being able to make better decisions - so we have those maritime capabilities, so we have the things that we need as opposed to the things that we don't want, like Trident.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-26939252

Quotean independent Scotland could expect to lose subsidies to green energy investment from the rest of the UK, the UK government has warned.

It estimates the average Scottish bill would rise by between £38 and £189 per year, if Scots are to sustain the current plans for renewable power.

The paper added that a "continuing UK would not be obliged to purchase energy from an independent Scottish state."

The Scottish government said the paper was "yet more scaremongering

3 random examples, I don't have the energy to seek out more. But this is a reccurring trend with every article on Scottish independence I see. The SNP really do wind me up. Every single time someone raises a valid point against Scottish independence, instead of actually trying to argue against it , they instead moan about fear stories, the arrogant English (I envision them saying this with undertones of "you've seen Braveheart yeah!?"), and the like. In in only one of these 3 articles do the actually attempt an argument against the initial point.
Part of me wonders whether this broken record, never say anything of consequence approach, is all a plot to win by driving moderate nos to apathy.
██████
██████
██████

Ideologue

The SNP leadership should be crucified on Culloden Moor.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Brazen

England and Wales better get dredging some deep harbours and getting UN nuclear storage safety inspectors in pronto, otherwise the first time the Trident subs come in for a refit after the vote they won't have anywhere to go.

grumbler

Quote from: Brazen on April 17, 2014, 05:24:18 AM
England and Wales better get dredging some deep harbours and getting UN nuclear storage safety inspectors in pronto, otherwise the first time the Trident subs come in for a refit after the vote they won't have anywhere to go.

England and Wales have plenty of ports deep enough for Trident subs to use.  They just don't have the convenient access to the Norwegian Sea that Faslane has.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Richard Hakluyt

Come the referendum the SNP want the electorate to vote with their hearts rather than with their heads.

Of course it is nicer to to arrange matters at a more local level, the problem is one of practicality.

Sheilbh

I'm more annoyed at cabinet ministers 'warning' Scotland that they might not get HS2 or green energy subsidies :bleeding:

Also from Sam Coates at the Times at the decent number of Tory donors who are pro-independence because they think it'd mean majority Tory government for the foreseeable future. Or for that matter Labour voters in Scotland tempted by the SNP's latest message that independence means they'd never be run by Tories again :bleeding:
Let's bomb Russia!

grumbler

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 17, 2014, 06:49:17 AM
I'm more annoyed at cabinet ministers 'warning' Scotland that they might not get HS2 or green energy subsidies :bleeding:

Indeed.  It is clear that HS2 wouldn't go into Scotland, and the transport minister, when asked about it, should say nothing.  Noting the truth is too upsetting to the Scots.  Best not to allow them to be 'warned' by the truth.

Ditto for green energy subsidies.  The truth is too threatening, so don't tell anyone the truth. :bleeding:
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Sheilbh

The truth is too obvious. Ministers either think Scots are all stupid or are just trying to base the campaign on threats. People aren't stupid and, generally, we like optimistic and hopeful messages.

The London response to the independence referendum is organised by George Osborne. On the one hand it's good because he's got the PM's trust, on the other hand I think the only time Osborne's visited Scotland was to burn some crofters out of their home.
Let's bomb Russia!

Agelastus

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 17, 2014, 07:09:12 AM
The truth is too obvious. Ministers either think Scots are all stupid or are just trying to base the campaign on threats. People aren't stupid and, generally, we like optimistic and hopeful messages.

But since the basic SNP message amounts to "nothing that could possibly inconvenience a Scotsman will change" ("we will use the pound, we will immediately be in Europe, nothing will cost more" etc.) should the "no" campaign just ignore issues such as these? Or avoid pointing out the places where Salmond and his cronies are, at best, guilty of extremely wishful thinking (such as the recent issue about RN shipbuilding?)

Given the level of support Salmond attracts despite the number of times his statements and assumptions have been called into question (or revealed to be outright lies) one has to consider the possibility that a large number of Scots are simply "stupid". :(
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Norgy

What's the verdict on the sustainability of an independent Scotland?

The Brain

Treason to the British Crown can never be forgiven.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Valmy

Nationalists exploiting bigoted hatred for other peoples to manipulate the electorate to do things that hurt their own interests?  Well what else did you expect?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Josquius

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 17, 2014, 07:09:12 AM

The London response to the independence referendum is organised by George Osborne. On the one hand it's good because he's got the PM's trust, on the other hand I think the only time Osborne's visited Scotland was to burn some crofters out of their home.
The trouble is , no is by its very nature a negative position.
The SNP want a change where they promise all sorts of lovely things, its the duty of those opposing this to point out why its wrong. True that positive things appeal to people more, but you'd think with a serious decision like this it would be logic that would dominate.

Its just so annoying that there aren't any talented politicians in Scotland able to jump on the SNPs shallow transparent politics.
██████
██████
██████

Brazen

Unfortunately, like many such votes, there will be repeated referenda until there is a yes vote, but little option for reunification.