NCAA Football, 2014-2015

Started by sbr, April 10, 2014, 06:28:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadBurgerMaker

Man, Washington's O looks.....off.

alfred russel

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on August 31, 2014, 12:07:23 AM
Man, Washington's O looks.....off.

It is the magic of Chris Petersen. His presence gives the little guy a shot in every david vs. goliath matchup he coaches.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

MadBurgerMaker

Horns starting C and the only Sr. on the line, Dom Espinosa, is done for the season with a broken ankle: http://www.barkingcarnival.com/2014/8/31/6091253/dominic-espinosa-lost-for-the-season

WELP. 

So who you got Valmy?  Raulerson or James?  James hasn't played C in a while, but has like 50 or 60lbs on Raulerson.

Valmy

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on August 31, 2014, 06:41:36 PM
So who you got Valmy?  Raulerson or James?  James hasn't played C in a while, but has like 50 or 60lbs on Raulerson.

Raulerson is not physically ready at all.  But there was a reason he was the backup so it is him.  This is bad, playing freshmen O-Lineman is a recipe for disaster.  That is what happened in 2011 when Espinosa first got the job.  It will be good to get Harrison back.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

So David Ash has concussion symptoms and is out versus North Texas.  So...yeah.  Hope he just retires now.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

grumbler

I liked this composite picture (both of the players who have worn number 98 in Michigan football history, Devin Gardner and Tom Harmon); I like it when stuff like this happens, and am amazed that there are fans who can make these connections.

The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: Valmy on September 01, 2014, 01:31:05 PM
So David Ash has concussion symptoms and is out versus North Texas.  So...yeah.  Hope he just retires now.

Probably better to just get that out of the way now, and with (relatively, I guess) little damage, instead of worrying about the guy every time he takes a hit.  He probably should have retired last year.

grumbler

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on September 01, 2014, 04:01:44 PM
Quote from: Valmy on September 01, 2014, 01:31:05 PM

Probably better to just get that out of the way now, and with (relatively, I guess) little damage, instead of worrying about the guy every time he takes a hit.  He probably should have retired last year.
Does Texas have the "three concussions and you are out" rule?  This would be his third, no?

I agree that he needs to retire.  Was he anything of a real pro prospect?
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Valmy

Quote from: grumbler on September 01, 2014, 04:10:33 PM

Nah he was an average College QB nothing more.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: grumbler on September 01, 2014, 03:42:47 PM
I liked this composite picture (both of the players who have worn number 98 in Michigan football history, Devin Gardner and Tom Harmon); I like it when stuff like this happens, and am amazed that there are fans who can make these connections.

Pretty neat.

alfred russel

Quote from: grumbler on September 01, 2014, 04:10:33 PM

Does Texas have the "three concussions and you are out" rule?  This would be his third, no?

Strongly disagree that he should be forced (if that is what you are implying). Ron Jaworski had something like 30 concussions and is fine. There is something of a concussion panic right now that imo isn't warranted--NFL players, adjusted for demographics, appear to actually live longer than the average population. Most of those guys played before there were concussion rules and back in the day when trainers would give you smelling salts to get you alert and back in the game.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)

grumbler

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 01, 2014, 05:12:23 PM

Pretty neat.

So, how you feeling about the ND-UM game?  I can't imagine what is going through gamblers' minds that ND is a 5.5 point favorite.  I think Michigan wins this outright.  Golsen is a great QB, but everything he does well has to go against a Michigan strength. 

I actually think that ND would start just about anybody in Michigan's defensive backfield 3-deep.  ND will be able to run some, but they won't be able to pass.  Michigan won't be able to run except to keep ND honest, but they will pass at will against ND's secondary.  ND has nobody that can cover Funchess (height+speed+athleticism = #1JERSEYFORTHEFIRSTTIMEINTENYEARS), and Chesson wide and Funchess inside means ND can't double-team Funchess without going dime giving up the run game.

ND doesn't have the horses to handle Michigan this year.  Only a total breakdown of the Michigan O-line (which isn't inconceivable; look at last year) can save the Domers.

QB v Safeties:  Michigan, big
OL v DL: Domers, big
RB v LB: Michigan, big
Receivers v DB: Michigan, huge

That's the Tale of Two Cities.

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: alfred russel on September 01, 2014, 06:06:28 PM
Strongly disagree that he should be forced (if that is what you are implying). Ron Jaworski had something like 30 concussions and is fine. There is something of a concussion panic right now that imo isn't warranted--NFL players, adjusted for demographics, appear to actually live longer than the average population. Most of those guys played before there were concussion rules and back in the day when trainers would give you smelling salts to get you alert and back in the game.

Lots of assertion, no facts.  Do NFL players who suffer concussions live longer than those who do?

Some citations, bitte.

Bayraktar!

alfred russel

FACT: A records-based study of retired players conducted by the National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH) concludes that they have a much lower death rate than men in the general population.

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/story/2012-05-08/Study-shows-NFL-players-live-longer/54847564/1

CountDeMoney

Quote from: grumbler on September 01, 2014, 06:09:30 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 01, 2014, 05:12:23 PM

Pretty neat.

So, how you feeling about the ND-UM game?  I can't imagine what is going through gamblers' minds that ND is a 5.5 point favorite.  I think Michigan wins this outright.  Golsen is a great QB, but everything he does well has to go against a Michigan strength. 

I actually think that ND would start just about anybody in Michigan's defensive backfield 3-deep.  ND will be able to run some, but they won't be able to pass.  Michigan won't be able to run except to keep ND honest, but they will pass at will against ND's secondary.  ND has nobody that can cover Funchess (height+speed+athleticism = #1JERSEYFORTHEFIRSTTIMEINTENYEARS), and Chesson wide and Funchess inside means ND can't double-team Funchess without going dime giving up the run game.

ND doesn't have the horses to handle Michigan this year.  Only a total breakdown of the Michigan O-line (which isn't inconceivable; look at last year) can save the Domers.

QB v Safeties:  Michigan, big
OL v DL: Domers, big
RB v LB: Michigan, big
Receivers v DB: Michigan, huge

That's the Tale of Two Cities.

The only way ND has a chance is to grind it out on the ground, setting up the short pass, winning the time of possession battle, since Michigan can score and score fast, and ND's air defense is worse than Ukraine's.  If they can get some turnovers and capitalize, but if they can't keep Michigan's offense off the field with consistent 3-and-outs, they're Golden Toast.  My prediction is they keep it close until it all falls apart halfway through the 3rd quarter and Michigan decides to wake up and runs away with it.