High school is still the same, and it sucks

Started by merithyn, April 09, 2014, 11:39:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ideologue

I think it used to be like that when pair-bonding had not yet been replaced by a war of all against all.

But imo it's also driven at least equally by jealousy and the inborn understanding of economics women possess.  I hear a lot more specific utterances of the word "slut" and "whore" from women than I do from men, and always have.  (I reckon that "slut" and "whore" are more readily used as insults of general purpose by men, largely interchangeable with "bitch," at a lower level of escalation than "cunt."  I think for women the words tend to have more specific meaning and are used so.)
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ideologue

Quote from: Barrister on April 09, 2014, 12:23:46 PM
If I want women to sleep with me, then surely it's a bad idea to discourage that behaviour by calling them "sluts"? :unsure:

Well, to play devil's advocate, you may also want to discourage the women that sleep with you from sleeping with someone else.  To what extent this concerns boys in high school is debatable.  I think it's lower than in later life.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

derspiess

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 09, 2014, 12:22:35 PM
I dont know about that.  When I was in high school the few girls who would have sex with anyone were well known as "sluts".

In my high school ('88-'91) there were several girls known to have put out but as long as they weren't with a different guy every week, they did not receive the 'slut' label.  I can only really think of a couple who were known as sluts, though oddly nobody could ever produce much evidence.  One girl was named Nicole and lots of people called her "Nicole the Hole" but the only piece of evidence anyone could ever cite was a picture in the yearbook of her demonstrating her flexibility by putting her ankle behind her head.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on April 09, 2014, 12:23:46 PM
If I want women to sleep with me, then surely it's a bad idea to discourage that behaviour by calling them "sluts"? :unsure:

Fair point if your only choice was to have sex with the girl that would the next night have sex with whoever else was available.  But, given a choice, the girl who would be commited to a more significant relationship would be preferable.  And if you had such a choice then knowing which girl was which was important information to make that choice. 

crazy canuck

Quote from: derspiess on April 09, 2014, 12:30:25 PM
I dont know about that.  When I was in high school the few girls who would have sex with anyone were well known as "sluts".

In my high school ('88-'91) there were several girls known to have put out but as long as they weren't with a different guy every week, they did not receive the 'slut' label.  I can only really think of a couple who were known as sluts, though oddly nobody could ever produce much evidence.  One girl was named Nicole and lots of people called her "Nicole the Hole" but the only piece of evidence anyone could ever cite was a picture in the yearbook of her demonstrating her flexibility by putting her ankle behind her head.

I had the same experience back in the day.  The one in our school was Vicky.  Her nickname was Sticky.  There was lots of evidence for why she earned that nickname.

KRonn

Ah yes, high school. I have fond memories of how much I hated it. It's an experience totally wasted on such young hooligans as teens are at that age. What a horror show to put so many monsters and social misfits together in one place and let havoc ensue. Kids should first be sent to a mandatory six months or year in boot camp and military training and discipline, then sent to high school. Then they'll have the proper attitude, respect and discipline to actually be acceptable.    :cool:

Malthus

Quote from: Barrister on April 09, 2014, 12:20:46 PM
Quote from: derspiess on April 09, 2014, 11:45:55 AM
Maybe it was just different in my day, but my high school (for all its faults) did not have that dynamic.

My high school definitely did not have that dynamic.

But then again, it was an all-boys school.  :sleep:

It is well-known that guys have sex without shame.  :P
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Iormlund

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 09, 2014, 12:33:50 PM
Quote from: derspiess on April 09, 2014, 12:30:25 PM

I had the same experience back in the day.  The one in our school was Vicky.  Her nickname was Sticky.  There was lots of evidence for why she earned that nickname.

There were none at my school. I feel cheated now.  :(

Though I knew one later who was going out with 4 guys at the same time. Nobody called her anything, however. At least not in front of me. The night the four guys made an appearance in the same pub was fairly entertaining.

Malthus

In my social circle in HS, the notion that women were to be shamed for sex was an absurdity.

Selfishness with drugs was the issue for shaming (men and women alike), not sex.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Ideologue

God I wish I'd had sex in high school.  I'd probably be governor by now.
Kinemalogue

crazy canuck

Quote from: Malthus on April 09, 2014, 12:41:19 PM
In my social circle in HS, the notion that women were to be shamed for sex was an absurdity.

Selfishness with drugs was the issue for shaming (men and women alike), not sex.

I suspect you were too stoned to notice  :P

garbon

I generally don't think about highschool. I probably would have changed almost everything particularly the multitude of classrooms without windows. :D
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Caliga

I was very respectful toward girls in high school. :)
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Iormlund

Quote from: Caliga on April 09, 2014, 12:56:05 PM
I was very respectful toward girls in high school. :)

I was too. I didn't figure out that didn't work until much later.  :blush:

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points